• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting problem

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I was hoping if anyone could give me advice about a green cheek conure about 2 years old who bites quite hard, and hasn't bonded with me yet. I want to know if there's any advice that can help me reduce this problem.

So here's the story:
I was just trying to interact with her through the cage bar by putting my fingers just outside so that she could explore it, but she sometimes just runs to it (Don't know if that's wanting to play or bite my nails off), and sometimes she does follow my hands around being cute and all, but when I let it close to her mouth, there comes the hard bite.
She does this whether I have my painted or not. So, that shouldn't be a problem I think.

Also, does me playing like this through the cage bar encourage this behavior? I'm still a newbie here. Please do give me lots and lots of advice.

Thank you so much.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The cage is her safe place, your hands/fingers are terrifying her. How long have you had her? Are you able to get her to step up when asked?

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I have two GCC who I share a good bond with ( they will sleep on my shoulder, preen each other and me while sat on my hands, will fly to me if there is something scary etc). If I put my fingers IN their cage I will be bitten. It's their territory, target training is a good idea and is a more positive interaction. Also sticking your fingers in front of a birds beak is asking for a bite, and I would stop 'playing' through the bars because the bird may think it's threatening.

Instead try offering foot toys or make the time spent with you mor valuable. My guys love to push their foraging ball around trying to get treats wrapped in cupcake papers, or destroying egg boxes, trying to get treats out of pine slats with holes drilled in them or simply chewing a toilet paper tube. Some simple trick training is a good way to bond too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Even my green cheek who was bonded with me would bite my fingers if I put them in her cage.

If you ever feed her through the bars, then she also might think your fingers are food.

Try to just open the cage door and let her come out and then attempt to interact with her

Reactions: Jas

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
"This is my house, you breeching my safe place" why not let your GCC come out in his/her own time n space. Reward the good behavior ignore the bad

Reactions: Jas

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
I’ve been letting her out and about everyday. I also skip sometimes to let her know that there’s gonna be times where she won’t be able to come out and things like that. In other words, I don’t want to make it a routine. Just wanna switch things up. However, I’m able to do it only at night around an hour or so. She doesn’t go anywhere far from the cage. She usually just cling around the cage and nothing more.

However, we haven’t had any interaction since I got her. Except that one time where my skin was peeled off, but that was totally my fault for interacting with her as soon as I got her.

I don’t know. I’m starting to think that I have birdphobia or something. I’m afraid of being bitten. After that time, I keep having this idea that I might get bitten again, (obviously unavoidable) but I’m just scared.

I really want to be able to play with her and all, but I don’t know what to do. How to build a relationship with a bird? (I’ve never had any pet besides a fish before, so building bond with an animal is kinda hard for me)

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
@msplantladi nope. I don’t think her previous owner had ever properly taught her how to do step up.

Cuz the time when I went and get the bird, the owner kinda like forced her into her finger.

I don’t know if she always does that or not. Or maybe she just didn’t want me to wait?

Yeah. Since I got Gizmo, I’ve never been able to interact with her properly. Cuz I’m scared of getting bitten.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I had a bird that I couldn't touch. She was terrified of hands. Yet she was very bonded to me.

You don't need to touch to bond. Talk with her, sing to her, dance with her, give her treats. Tell her about your day as you do it. Let her out of her cage as much as possible and give her the freedom to go where she wants. You don't have to be directly watching her while she is out. Given freedom, especially without you hovering, gives her a chance to explore. You may be surprised when she flies over to see you!

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
@Mizzely i tend to dodge it. Or just turn my face away.

It’s like a reflex to me. It comes naturally.

But I really appreciate the advice. I will just open the for and only talk to her.
No physical contact from now on until she comes to me by herself.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
@Mizzely By the way, for the first time ever, she lunges at me yesterday.

It took me by surprise and I took my hand away, so I wasn’t hurt or anything. I’m not sure if she really meant to harm me.

This happened while I was setting this new disco ball toy in her cage. Which I already let her get used to it the day before already. She even tried me play with it a little cuz she loves bell. I also put my hands in the cage before which she just kept the distance, and never even bother to come near.

I don’t know what’s wrong this time. Why did she lunges at me? Or maybe at the toy? Why?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
An hour at night isn't really enough for a bird, you might be cutting into her sleep schedule by taking her out and interacting with her. I notice all my birds tend to wind down after dinner and while they may not want to go to bed, they find places they feel safe hanging out on and just stay there.

Also, like others have said, cages are birds' safe spaces Even my birds who totally adore me and want nothing more than to be held and cuddled while sleeping in my shirt will defend their homes viciously from me if I don't respect their space. Hands and fingers on the bars is one thing, fingers poking through is far more predatory.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
@Garet Well, it’s the only way for me to clean and change the toys since she won’t leave her cage.

Anyway, she’s okay now. She just keeps her distance and I’ll just my thing.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
after reading this thread, We must have done something wrong with Henry, because he doesn't bite us when we put our hands in the cage to ask him to step up or to clean his cage. I think Henry believes the whole house is his cage.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@msplantladi nope. I don’t think her previous owner had ever properly taught her how to do step up.

Cuz the time when I went and get the bird, the owner kinda like forced her into her finger.

I don’t know if she always does that or not. Or maybe she just didn’t want me to wait?

Yeah. Since I got Gizmo, I’ve never been able to interact with her properly. Cuz I’m scared of getting bitten.
Birds sense your emotions and if have that fear of getting bite they will know it. Learn to watch body language, especially the eyes. It takes along to build trust but the day you see the break through is so rewarding.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
@Mizzely By the way, for the first time ever, she lunges at me yesterday.

It took me by surprise and I took my hand away, so I wasn’t hurt or anything. I’m not sure if she really meant to harm me.

This happened while I was setting this new disco ball toy in her cage. Which I already let her get used to it the day before already. She even tried me play with it a little cuz she loves bell. I also put my hands in the cage before which she just kept the distance, and never even bother to come near.

I don’t know what’s wrong this time. Why did she lunges at me? Or maybe at the toy? Why?
Just like people birds can change from day to day-don't take it personal or even as a set back, accept and walk away for a few minutes, come back with a her favorite treat and offer it to her, but make her come to you to get it-if it doesn't happen right away thats ok, walk away and try again.
p.s. be very careful w/ bells make sure the little noise make piece inside the bell can't be swallowed.