• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Is A Problem

AtomBombBaby

Moving in
Hello bird friends!

I have a GCC whos biting and nibbling has gotten worse. He doesnt bite maliciously (unless you touch him where hes uncomfortable, even then hes NEVER drawn blood) or aggressively but he just has a fascination with biting fingers. Or biting in general. He chews my phone case, my remote, anything he can. But even when theres something to chew, he'll always go back to my fingers. And he will be fixated on it for a lonnggggg time and my fingers start to become sore. When i first got him he wasnt like this. He'll nibble here and there but was more cuddley. Now its just constant nibbling, chewing and biting. If i put my hand out to step up he'll sometimes start biting my nails before stepping up. Anytime i have him on my hands he starts to bite those finger tips. I thought it couldve been because hes molting but the worst part of it is already over and if anything the frequent biting became progressively worse. When hes on my shoulder hes sweet. He'll gently preen and will just calmly sit there. But as soon as hes on my hands he bites.

I dont know if this is normal GCC/bird behavior that everyone has to over come. Maybe he sees my fingers as toys? Either way it makes it difficult for planned training. I want to work on him being comfortable with me touching his wings but i cant if hes distracted with my fingers.

Other behaviors with my hands include him showing signs of aggression when it comes to food. When i first had him i used to hand feed him treats with ease. Now when i offer treats (like strawberries and raspberries) he gets upset and bites me (again not drawing blood but still hard enough to send a message) so that i let go of the berry and he can eat it on his own. Sometimes ill just drop it in his food dish but even with that i have to be quick or he comes running over to shoo me away. When i change out his food bowl he tries to quickly bite me when i take the bowl out or put it back. I just dont understand where these behaviors suddenly came from.

Giving scratches has changed too. Before, i could scratch his head and neck till he fell asleep. Now he'll enjoy it for a time, turn around and bite for a bit (sometimes with a quiet, mad noise), then go back to calmly enjoying it.

Is there anything im doing wrong? Does he maybe feel like hes the dominant one in the flock? Or is this just his personality?

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I was told that GCC are known to be Nippy before I got Cheddar. Now Cheddar has decided to back that statement up by being Nippy at times. Luckily he doesn't "Go for the Gusto" More like he gets carried away preening my arm. He has seemed to et a bit less determined to chew my arm off.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm combating this right now with my BCC. He will suddenly jump and bite my lip or chin. :bash: