• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting hard without warning

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Jupiter likes hanging out with me while I hold his perch. He climbs on and off my shoulders and fingers. But just today he started biting my fingers where I'm holding the perch, very hard, breaking skin. I figure he wants back to his bird room but when I go back he won't get off the stick and will scramble up to my shoulder so he doesn't want down. But I keep almost dropping him because he's clamping down on my fingers. I don't know what he could want.

We were sitting on the couch listening to music he was dancing a bit. Sitting some more. Bit me hard so I moved my fingers, bit harder I almost dropped him. Figured he wanted down, took him to his room and he keeps biting me hard. I put my hand on his cage but he won't get off, runs up my arm to my shoulder when I try and nudge him off.

Second time he did this I just stuck the whole stick with him on it on top of his cage so he can still play just not on me. Now he's squawking at me to get him. Lol.

I am mostly unsure how to react so that he doesnt think it's okay. I don't give any verbal reaction, just start moving the hand that is holding the stick. I give him lots of food when he's on me so maybe he just wants more food.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don't really know what to advise so hopefully this post can act as a BUMP

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I usually get nipped if I move when some birdie is sleeping. Is there something you are doing differently from when you would get him off your shoulder? i would try tapping your fingers down the front like piano keys and see if he follows them to make it easier for you to get to him and move him. Use most of your hand to get him to step up not a finger because he is thinking "Oh look a chew toy". If the hand thing doesn't work go to using a stick and a treat.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I don't really know what to advise so hopefully this post can act as a BUMP
I usually get nipped if I move when some birdie is sleeping. Is there something you are doing differently from when you would get him off your shoulder? i would try tapping your fingers down the front like piano keys and see if he follows them to make it easier for you to get to him and move him. Use most of your hand to get him to step up not a finger because he is thinking "Oh look a chew toy". If the hand thing doesn't work go to using a stick and a treat.
Thanks so much for your advice. I only use sticks for stepping up, never my fingers. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Hopefully. He only does it when we've been hanging out for a little bit so maybe he wants food or wants me to walk around or something.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Well he seems to do it when we're sitting on the couch not really doing anything. I believe he's trying to tell me to give him food or entertain him in some way. For now when he bites me he goes back to the bird room and I leave. He can still have out if cage time but not with me in there.