• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Baby Alexandrine

julietta

Moving in
Real Name
Julietta
Hi there!

I am desperate for help with a baby Alexandrine I have adopted. I have had Kiwi for just over 4 weeks now. She is incredibly smart, and it took no time at all to target train her. (I say "she" but won't know until she is older. She is approximately 5 months old). She has learned that when she needs help or wants something, a small squawk is all it takes to get me to come over. She hangs out in our livingroom with our IRN and 3 budgies. We leave the cages open, and we only put them in the cages when it is time to "go to bed". She steps up fairly reliably, and occasionally likes to hang out on my head or shoulder.

But she BITES. I don't mean a nip either. I mean draws blood. I don't offer her my fingers to stand up on anymore, just my fist. This has helped us both. But she does this odd thing where she will bite my hand (again, enough to break the skin), and then proceed to step up. It has also happened that after she steps off my hand, and I haven't immediately removed it, she starts attacking it.

I have read that these guys need plenty of toys to keep their beaks busy. We have all sorts of wood toys that she likes to shred, and she loves toilet paper rolls, and shredding plastic bottle caps. Her beak is kept very busy.

I had heard that if your bird is bonded to you, making a sound of pain and then immediately leaving can be enough to teach your bird not to bite. This didn't work for me. I had heard that when a bird bites you, you should try not to respond. I stood there while she tore into my hand. I now have a scar, and a bird that continues to bite. I have heard that every time the bird bites, you should calmly say "no", or what I did was say "ah ah", and wiggle your hand to throw them off balance. Again, no dice.

I never went through any of this with my IRN. I am set on keeping her, but this has been extremely painful and emotionally draining. What am I doing wrong?

Please help

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

julietta

Moving in
Real Name
Julietta
Let's rephrase my question.

How do I know if it is just temporary bluffing, or a long-term problem I am incorrectly responding to?

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
Hi, how are you getting on? Has a bit of time made a difference? My Alexandrine also seems to have something against fingers. At the moment I cope by not giving him access to them. "He" is older than kiwi by around 6 months I would think.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I always look at my Alexes eyes to gage where they are at before offering a hand to step up too. If they pin their eyes they are showing signs that a bite might come. Use a stick to transfer your bird. Its very easy, mine learned "up" in no time. The best bite is a none existing one.

Valorous

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Embla
Hello!

I'm experiencing something similar with my Hahns (6 months old), though only sometimes. He steps up and is super sweet but then suddenly ATTACKS and also draws blood (my hands are covered in small wounds). I don't really know how to deal with it. I'm just trying to be really really respectful of what he wants and also read the body language constantly. Also I've found, talking constantly whilst handling the bird helps a lot.

Today has been much better than the last 4 days but I've still gotten bit twice today.

I'm trying to blame it on the molt or dominance/bluffing since it seems so random, but I've also tried to be firm when enough is enough. When he does bite I say no firmly (not yelling or anything) and softly grab the beak for a second or so, then I end play time for a moment just so that he absolutely understand that he shouldn't bite. Some people will say this is counterproductive and some will say it's great. When so many have different opinions I think you just have to make the choice yourself.