• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Amazon

esthr702

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
I was recently given a 30 year old amazon from an ill owner, he said the bird hadn't been out of the cage for a couple years. I currently own a Lorikeet (love of my life) so this is my first large bird, I have had him a couple days now and every time I go near the cage he charges me, other parrot websites scared me almost to the point of returning the bird, thankfully I found this site where people are encouraging. Can you give me some basic advice on how to get him to warm up to me? I want to keep all my didgets. 20170319_141317.jpg

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Due to my time constraints this morning - this is going to be very watered down... this is one possible starting point... you need to adjust and modify your plan based on how the bird responds and your comfort and skill level.

Rule #1 ... don't let the bird bite you. If the bird does happen to bite you, it's important that you continue moving forward and not leave the bird alone, as this will probably be the bird's motivation for biting you in the first place, to get you to leave him alone. Don't reinforce the biting behavior.

Precaution - Since we do not really know how the Zon will interact with the Lori, I would remove the Lori from the room before working with the ZON. I would start in working with the ZON in a room where he can be contained (door shut) - should something arise and you need to leave or focus your attention elsewhere. The last thing we want is to leave the 2 birds alone unattended and/or have the is the zon to intentionally or inadvertently fly over to or land on the Lori's cage, and they start fighting.

I would first attempt to interact with the bird and offer treats... wait until he is receptive to taking the treats from your hand. Something you might like to consider is to remove his food before you put him to bed - so he will be more motivated to take the treat from you rather than cage you. I would use a larger sized treat, like a peanut in a shell. You can bake the peanuts in the over at 425 for 15 minutes or so to kill any possible mold.

You are going to need to continually evaluate the bird, his disposition, interaction, and reaction to you and adjust your game plan accordingly.

My first goal would be to get the Zon out and away from the cage and put onto a free standing perch - this should help alleviate some of his what appears to be territorial aggression. You can do use a wooden dowl as hand perch if necessary.

Once you get him onto the free standing perch... I would try to hand feed him - use a spoon if necessary. And just positively interact with him....

I would attempt to lure him on to your arm (preferably sleeved) if he isn't willing to step up readily. I have a leather jacket sleeve that I use underneath my sweatshirt with highly aggressive birds. This might take some time...

Oh - I would keep the bird out of the cage for a while and work him a lot - once you establish he is not going to be a mad man flying all over the place... I would bring the Lori in the room to gauge their reactions. Some might think this is overkill, but lesson learned the hard way for me... I once had a greenwing attack a blue and gold. $750 in vet bills later and I still have a battle scar on my thumb from where I got bit when I grabbed the greenwing (who had never bit me before) by his beak to control the situation... stupid on my part? Maybe... But you don't stop to think when all hell breaks loose you just react.

This is just a start and one possible scenario... you need to be adaptable and willing to adjust on the fly as the situation warrants. .... I have to get back to work... I will reread and edit later - to qualify any statement that does not come across as I intented or could be misconstrued. ( I lied... did a quick review and edit... I couldn't help myself)

Oh, and once last thing..... I wouldn't want people to think I am advocating starving your bird.... when you put the bird back in the cage... give the bird some treats and feed him... I would remove his food again at night right before lights out and work with him in the morning.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have 2 wild caught zons that I received as a newbie owner to the world of birds.

My thoughts? Slower. Drop a treat in his bowl when you walk by. I don't give mine peanuts either because of things I've read on here.

Sit and talk to him. If he flares, you're too close, back up. You have all the time in the world. Don't rush things. Some seem to have issues with eye to eye contact.

Baby steps. If you get a chance later to skritch through the bars, you have a little defense against being nailed by the beak. We may have started with touching toes.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh, and my amazons love the senior nutriberries....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You might want to watch this webinar Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots ... and start with dropping treats into a dish everytime you walk by the cage like Clueless has said ...you do have all the time in the world to work with him so don't push it ...I have a lil lady that I'm still working with and its been a yr we have come to a happy medium where she will take treats out of my hand but I still cant touch her so like I said you have all the time in the world ...take it slow ...maybe look at the other webinars on the Goodbird website they are all very good and very helpful :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
FYI, Barbara Heidenreich owns an Amazon.
I've seen her a couple of times and thanks to her, one of my zons that was scared to death of hands.....learned to step up on a hand.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
My Paco was cage bound in a small filthy cage for 7 years and petrified of hands when I first got him. Treats, read him stories as you sit by him, I crocheted a whole afghan that first winter just sitting by his cage. Take it real slow. It is so possible and so worth it. Once trust is established you will know and take it from there. I hate the Amazon horror stories. There is just as much success out there. My boy has blossomed into a sweetheart. You have a chance for a great journey. I believe they know good people and can sense love. He will respond.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
ok, I don't own amazon, and to be God's honest I am still a little frightened of the one I have worked around. but here are few things to try to win him over.
1.every time you walk by the cage put a treat in his dish, mind you it doesn't have to be a big treat either, a sunflower seed or 2, a Nutriberry, a little piece of banana, just something. don't turn around to see if he runs down to get the treat either, just keep on walking away.
2. sit beside the cage and read to him every day, it doesn't have to be anything fancy either, the newspaper, children's books, the funnies from the Sunday paper, a recipe, anything. keep your voice soft and quiet. remember loud noises startle.
3. watch his body language, eyes pining, flaring feathers around the neck, head and upper body, lunges, beak snapping. all these are huge signage that the bird is upset. With Monster a YNA, the swaying from side to side is the one I watch out for the most. when he starts swaying I know to back up as quickly as I can.
4. it might be well worth the $ to get a T-stand with longer pole on the bottom to move him anyplace. remember no shoulder sitting either, birds IMO have to earn that right.
5. lots and lots of patience.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
You ma'am, are a hero!

Please see some of my posts in the Amazon forum, i have been walking in your shoes.
The important ingredient is your commitment, you will have times that you wish you gave your zon away.. but in the end you will be glad you didn't! They are such an amazing and wonderful companions, trust me in this. Your amazon is truely worth the time and patience!

You have received some great advice above, so i will not repeat what they allready tell you :)
Be aware though, that your zon will quickly "read" you, and your mood will set the tone for your trainings, so only start training when you are relaxed and ready to go slow, it took me a few months to learn rhis :)

When i got my zon, she was afraid of.. well anything! Fast forward a year, and she allready steps up freely, enjoys snugling with me, she is great friends with my mom, and she finaly start to behave parrotish.. vut it took a lot of patience! :heart: i applaud you! And i hope you will keep us updated with a lot of pictures ;-)

esthr702

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
Wonderful advice, thank you all so much. I have had snuggles since Sunday and at first I was terrified because every time I went near the cage he charged me, I still can't reach in to get his food and water bowls so I have to slide the pan out from the bottom and put them there for now, any advice on that would be so appreciated. So far I have gotten him to take treats from my hand safely, he has been talking especially when I leave his side, and he let me spray warm water on him today, he seemed to really enjoy it. This truly means the world to me that your all helping me get through this, I love him so much and will never give up on him.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful advice, thank you all so much. I have had snuggles since Sunday and at first I was terrified because every time I went near the cage he charged me, I still can't reach in to get his food and water bowls so I have to slide the pan out from the bottom and put them there for now, any advice on that would be so appreciated. So far I have gotten him to take treats from my hand safely, he has been talking especially when I leave his side, and he let me spray warm water on him today, he seemed to really enjoy it. This truly means the world to me that your all helping me get through this, I love him so much and will never give up on him.
Reaching in is invading his safe place. Secret had issues with that big time. I bought a used cage that had feed doors that opened. Best $ I ever spent.

I just bought travel cages that had those for times I have to remove the parrots from the house to stay with relatives......I love my family, too.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My feed bowls....
20170322_202730.jpg 20170322_202638.jpg
Two different cages. Remember, if there is a ring ALWAYS keep a bowl in it. A bird can slip, fall in the ring and break a wing.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You're doing great to give treats already by hand.......

esthr702

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
My cage doesn't have the little doors that open, I'm so afraid he's not getting enough food?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I give each of mine less than 1/4 cup of pellets each day and throw some of them away. They get 3 senior nutriberries each day (I call it their breakfast). At night, I'm cutting up part of an organic red pepper and giving that to them. I have very small stainless steel cups that I use to put in their fresh food.

Welcome to avian parenthood where we always worry.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Snuggles moved down one perch closer to me, I'm so excited.
See???? Baby steps! Just take things slow and move at his place. Amazons are awesome birds.

esthr702

Moving in
Real Name
Esther
Thank you so much! I was so worried he wasn't getting enough food.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you so much! I was so worried he wasn't getting enough food.
Measure what you put in the cage and measure what is left at end of day. Keep a diary of what he eats (amounts/type of food).

Weighing the parrots is immensely valuable. I bought a food scale at Bed Bath and Beyond and had one of the owners at the local bird store make me a small T Stand for it. Birds hide illness. Weight is a good indicator for when they need to go to vet.