• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bitey Quaker (Help!)

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Hello everyone!

On Tuesday, we got to pick up a lost/unclaimed Quaker parrot that was found and brought in to the exotics animal hospital where we take our birds for check-ups. Before we picked him up, we did get to meet him the other week.

His name is Pistachio and he's in good health, though the vet couldn't determine his age (they suspect him to be on the younger side). He instantly took to my husband from the first meeting but was very stand-offish with me. I didn't make much of it then. When we finally brought him home, he's still all cuddles and affection with my husband, however when I try to approach him, he hisses and lunges at me.

I know it's only been officially day 2 of having him but I cannot wrap my head around why he's so aggressive with me. For now, I just hang out around his cage to get him used to me, do non-aggressive hand approaches (if any at all) and I'm primarily the one who changes out his food and water.

I'm pretty new to quakers, so any shared experiences or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, here's Pistachio being all cuddly in his fuzzy tube.

Pistachio.jpg

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Since he’s a rescue it could be that he’s had negative experiences with women in the past and will require an extra long time to build trust.

I don’t have any Quaker experience but I know some on here will chime in soon.

Good luck, he sure is a cutie! :)

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Since he’s a rescue it could be that he’s had negative experiences with women in the past and will require an extra long time to build trust.

I don’t have any Quaker experience but I know some on here will chime in soon.

Good luck, he sure is a cutie! :)
Thank you! I know it'll probably take some time. The hospital advertised him as "seems to prefer women" but that was a lie. LOL
I knew what I was getting into taking in a bird with unknown history since he was brought in.
It's just that I can't help but to have my feelings hurt when my husband is technically a stranger and he's so nice to him but vicious with me. :(

Reactions: Lo_

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Currently, my female Quaker is especially nippy with me because she's in mating mode. This happens twice a year, in my experience.

As for the difference between you and your husband, it may be that Pistachio has had a bad prior experience with some who you may resemble or that you have an item or trait that doesnt gel with them, female, hair color, glasses, etc. When we first had Wally, she loved my male partner but was completely indifferent to me. Now, we're besties :)

Welcome home, Pistachio - what a cutie!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thank you! I know it'll probably take some time. The hospital advertised him as "seems to prefer women" but that was a lie. LOL
I knew what I was getting into taking in a bird with unknown history since he was brought in.
It's just that I can't help but to have my feelings hurt when my husband is technically a stranger and he's so nice to him but vicious with me. :(

Oh no, that was definitely a lie in your case :lol:
I understand the hurt, but I’m sure he’ll come around with time and patience :)

PlutoAuntie39

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katy
Dear Jeanne,
Keep trying.... and don't give up.....:kiss2:

I bet with a little patience and reassurance your Quaker will come around.

Keep talking sweet to him and giving him food and water and just be grateful he likes your husband for now.

:jillone:

:hug4::bluhug::bighug:

~Katy~

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Dear Jeanne,
Keep trying.... and don't give up.....:kiss2:

I bet with a little patience and reassurance your Quaker will come around.

Keep talking sweet to him and giving him food and water and just be grateful he likes your husband for now.

:jillone:

:hug4::bluhug::bighug:

~Katy~
Thanks for this! I was just concerned because the vet staff is all female so I’m getting all insecure if there’s something I’m doing wrong. I think love, patience and time should do the trick. Hopefully. ^^;

JFin25

Moving in
Real Name
Jeanne Findlay
Currently, my female Quaker is especially nippy with me because she's in mating mode. This happens twice a year, in my experience.

As for the difference between you and your husband, it may be that Pistachio has had a bad prior experience with some who you may resemble or that you have an item or trait that doesnt gel with them, female, hair color, glasses, etc. When we first had Wally, she loved my male partner but was completely indifferent to me. Now, we're besties :)

Welcome home, Pistachio - what a cutie!
I’m gonna try different things like with my glasses on (since I normally don’t have them on when I’m at home). The animal hospital that had him is 90% female so my feelings are a little hurt that I’m singled out as the person Pistachio hates. :sad3: