1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Birdy Feet

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Zerakou, 2/22/18.

1. Zerakou

Zerakou Moving in

Ryan
    Hey guys, I posted a while back and while we got the redness away, i just have a question in general bird feet. I cannot find anything about the bottom of bird feet other than if it's getting red (or worse) it's bumblefoot.

Nami's feet look like this (the yellow/green are from toys, shes torn them up now and its wearing off) The scales are almost gone in the side/middle of her foot and both of her small back toes have a tiny crack (easily seen by them holding the toy coloring)

At the moment she's prefering to sleep on a rope perch over a natural perch but she's got options and her feet look better than they did. I honestly just dont know what the bottom of their feet are really supposed to look like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
  3. Zerakou

Zerakou Moving in

Ryan
    Do her feet look ok?*.. There's nothing about what the soles of a bird feet are supposed to look like other than "not red" (That I can find)

4. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

They look basically fine to me, maybe a tiny bit dry.

sunnysmom likes this.
  5. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

They dont look too bad, that one toe on the bottom right in the third pic looks a teeny bit irritated ,,try rubbing vitamin E oil, silver solvidine cream, or Aloe Vera on her feeties, even A&D cream will help. Rope perches are good.

6. Zerakou

Zerakou Moving in

Ryan
    Thanks for the reply mate. I thought they looked alright as well but like i said, it's so hard to find anything about what their feet
    Awesome, thanks. I'm happy to get some feedback considering it's so hard find a healthy birds foot. As for Aloe, would Amazon.com: George's Aloe Vera Spray Mister, 8 Fluid Ounce: Health & Personal Care be the way to go?

Familyof12 likes this.
  7. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Depending on where you live, you can use the "goo" from a natural aloe plant, that s the best.. but , you can use an aloe extract, or spray from health food stores..WILL NOT HURT your bird if he injests it

Familyof12 likes this.
  8. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jenny
    They look great. You don't need to put anything on them.

Tim likes this.
  9. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Thanks for the post. I've always wondered what the feet should look like. My Amazons are old dudes and lived years in less than desirable conditions.

Familyof12 likes this.
  10. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

My sister had an Amazon with bumbleboot, and your bird's feet don't look anything like her bird's did.
    They look fine to me, but only you really know if they are bothering you're bird.

My sis's bird's were worse when she had one dowel in the cage. Once she only used natural branches, ropes and platforms, they started to clear.
    Her bird had a lifelong problem. So sad to see his little feet.
    She also medicated all the time. The perch changes did wonders.

Familyof12 likes this.
  11. Familyof12

Familyof12 Rollerblading along the road

Liz
    I love parrots' feets. They tell you their health. Can't walk or stand with them! His feet do look fine. I'm unfortunately very familiar with bumble foot, slivers, cuts, etc. It doesn't look like any of that. It does look a little dry. Maybe some coconut oil on his feet to moisturize. Their feet are so soft and delicate. It's awesome you're paying attention.

12. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

13. Hotpockets

Hotpockets Strolling the yard

Why not use a glycerin moisturizer if you're worried about ingestion? You can buy glycerin from most chemists. It's the main ingredient in most moisturizers that aren't plant or oil based.

14. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    They probably won't bite them, but they will do a lot of licking. Personally, I always use Vit E because it is part of the body's natural lubricating system and does not appeal to a bird to eat it.

I don't know how old Naali is, but a macaw can start developing arthritis as early as 25 - 30 years old. My bird has serious arthritis and sleeps in a crate on a soft dog mattress at night. Her feet and her arthritis have improved a lot since I put her in the crate at night.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)