• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

birds needing homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
i know this is unorthidox, but since i have an unreleasable sparrow rescue (shown in my pic on my shoulder kissing me- love of my life), i frequent a house sparrow love/rehab forum, n the rehabber who runs it posted what's below n i wanted to help by it posting here. ....i'd takem if i could get them here to utah.
thanks, w/luv4allbeings, mary

" There are a few needy non-releasable house sparrows in southern CT. If any one is interested and able to take one or more, please let me know.

Two adults unable to fly. One is male and I don't know about the other one.

There is one baby who is about 4-5 weeks of age. It is almost eating on it's own but still gaping for some baby mush.
This bird has been hand raised but not socialized intentionally with people. It is not considered a human imprint but will tame down very quickly if handled gently. It can also be placed with other birds.

I will make sure all are parasite free before transferring them to a new home.

I am willing to drive 1 hour into NY, NJ, or Mass. to meet an interested new home.

Melissa "

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Are there laws against keeping native animals?
I had a sparrow when I was a kid who was found blind. He flew into our house and either went blind or that is why he flew into the house. He was just fledged (we had watched him grow in a nest under our deck).
We brought him to the vet to have him checked out and dewormed and they told us that there were laws against keeping him, but they'd kill him if we brought him to a rehab because he was unreleasable so they let us keep him.
He was very sweet but had a seizure and died only a few months after we took him in.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Are there laws against keeping native animals?
I had a sparrow when I was a kid who was found blind. He flew into our house and either went blind or that is why he flew into the house. He was just fledged (we had watched him grow in a nest under our deck).
We brought him to the vet to have him checked out and dewormed and they told us that there were laws against keeping him, but they'd kill him if we brought him to a rehab because he was unreleasable so they let us keep him.
He was very sweet but had a seizure and died only a few months after we took him in.

if I remember correctly, if the Native Species is Unreleasable ONLY Licenses Wild life rescues/rehabs can keep them, not any average Person

That is why when some one tries to get me to feed an Injured blue jay or sparrow I tell them Sorry but no I won't do it.

but I could be wrong, Laws are always changing.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope they find homes .I cant believe a re-hab would "kill" a bird because its non-releaseable. The local one here....we have lots of unreleasables. They become ambassadors for theyre species, and are given "jobs" for education on wildlife.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
in most xtates but not some counties, it's ok to have two types of wild bird even without a rehab licence. one is an english sparrow (or house sparrow), the other is a european starling which talk by the way. they are not indigionis or migratory, so not protected, and considered a nuisence bird, are legally hunted, and are always put down by rehab if unreleasible, or given to good homes. look it up online for your erea- don't call because they dont always know- believe me. i've had my mirracle blessing muffin (a sparrow) for so many years i wont tell ya cuz i dont wanna jinx us- i love her so much, i want her t live forever.

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
in most xtates but not some counties, it's ok to have two types of wild bird even without a rehab licence. one is an english sparrow (or house sparrow), the other is a european starling which talk by the way. they are not indigionis or migratory, so not protected, and considered a nuisence bird, are legally hunted, and are always put down by rehab if unreleasible, or given to good homes. look it up online for your erea- don't call because they dont always know- believe me. i've had my mirracle blessing muffin (a sparrow) for so many years i wont tell ya cuz i dont wanna jinx us- i love her so much, i want her t live forever.
Did you read "Providence of a Sparrow, Or On a Life gone to the birds"?

THat book wonderously details the intelligience and sweetness of a rescued sparrow. So from that I can understand your attachment.

canarymerry

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mary
yep i did-
"providence of a sparrow" by chris chester.
loved it. i even wrote a review on it.
did you read the first or second addition? one chapter was added.
i can soooo relate to that book.
you can see chris n his sparrow "B" on youtube.
yeah if people knew how special these little angels were, they'd want one.
she inspires me to write a book but i don't want to be away from her that much.
here's a pic of muffin's morning snuggle ritual.
w/luv4allbeings,
mary

Attachments

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
So sweet!
If you were closer...I'd be tempted. my grandfather had a pet Chickadee :D Well, sort of. It flew into his house one day, so he set seed on the table for it, and Deedee would just keep coming back and coming inside and eating. It would even sit on the chair and watch westerns with my grandpa, as long as he didn't move very quickly.

He also had a squirrel that he semi-tamed as well that would come into his home and eat peanut with him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.