• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds in my backyard (QLD, Australia) - lots of photos

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I had some King parrots visit this morning. Really wish my camera still worked.

image.jpeg

The second one was so pretty. She looked pied? I didn't know King parrots could look like that.

image.jpeg

Tami B

Walking the driveway
It must be amazing to look out onto your backyard and see all those "exotic" birds!!!
Are you allowed to have native birds/animals as pets there?
You are not allowed to do that here where I live.

Tami B

Walking the driveway
Think it would be great to "have" so many birds, without having to have them in a cage!

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Lovely pics!
Probably one of the best things about living in Aus is all the birds :D
There's a small flock of corellas that hang around the train station and play on the boom gates and overhead lights-- they're probably one of the most playful types of parrot in the area, with the rest of them spending most of their time grazing. Also, magpies have the best song IMO :)

Those cockies look the right size to me-- they're such big birds that we had to reinforce our feeders for them :D

Also, love the variety of lorries, only get rainbows round here

With the king parrot, you could be looking at a juvenile-- at least, that's how they look in my area, before they become a lovely vibrant green for the gals or red for the boys :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful pictures.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@expressmailtome or @Macawnutz could this thread be moved to Bird Watchers Road? When I originally posted this thread I think I missed the right sub forum. :unsure1: :o:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It must be amazing to look out onto your backyard and see all those "exotic" birds!!!
Are you allowed to have native birds/animals as pets there?
You are not allowed to do that here where I live.
Sorry, I know this is a super delayed reply. You can definitely keep native birds (and other animals) here. Cockatiels and lorikeets are quite popular. Some native birds you do need a licence for, which is relatively easy to obtain. Same with some other parrot species like Eclectus. It is illegal to keep wild native animals, or obviously to kill any of them (that includes snakes).

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Beautiful Photos... Thanks for posting! I was going to dig some out of the ole photo album later! But your photos are near perfect!

On a side note! There used to be a sign that said "WILD LIFE PARK" near us. Someone decided to write underneath... "Where do I join" Made me laugh! :lol:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Love all the new photos, thanks for sharing :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is a nice picture of the king parrot.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Lovely pics!
Probably one of the best things about living in Aus is all the birds :D
There's a small flock of corellas that hang around the train station and play on the boom gates and overhead lights-- they're probably one of the most playful types of parrot in the area, with the rest of them spending most of their time grazing. Also, magpies have the best song IMO :)

Those cockies look the right size to me-- they're such big birds that we had to reinforce our feeders for them :D

Also, love the variety of lorries, only get rainbows round here

With the king parrot, you could be looking at a juvenile-- at least, that's how they look in my area, before they become a lovely vibrant green for the gals or red for the boys :)
We have a large flock of corellas at my uni. They are very playful. I haven't seen it for a little while, but I used to often see them rolling around in the ground with each other playing. The only other wild birds I've seen do that are the lorikeets that visit here.

You could be right about the King parrot. I love their calls in the morning. The galahs too. They're much softer and nicer on the ears than the toos!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Beautiful Photos... Thanks for posting! I was going to dig some out of the ole photo album later! But your photos are near perfect!

On a side note! There used to be a sign that said "WILD LIFE PARK" near us. Someone decided to write underneath... "Where do I join" Made me laugh! :lol:
Make sure you still dig them out - I'd love to see them!