• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds as Emotional Support Animals

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I have been sick for several years now, and it has gotten worse over the last few months. Emery makes dealing with my illness and all of the pain, both physically and mentally bearable. She isn't registered as an emotional support animal, and I don't plan on registering her, but she could be. Let me explain, I think parrots can be emotional support animals if, and only if, you have extremely realistic expectations going in. As long as you know, understand, and accept that they are absolutely self-serving animals and are not going to care about trying to please you like a cat or dog would, along with knowing how parrots can act, then you'll likely do okay.

Basically, I knew I wanted her first and foremost, regardless of whether she would be able to help me or not. I grew up with parrots and I had wanted a bird of my own in my life for a long time anyway. I also knew her strengths and limitations in being able to possibly help me going in, and I knew there was a chance that she might not help in the ways I was hoping for. Like I said, I had very realistic expectations going in. Growing up with one of the species that is well-known to have more hormone issues (a DYH male Amazon) than any of the other Amazons, meant I knew just how hormonal and moody a parrot could get. I knew that she could also be nippy sometimes or not want to be pet, or even near me necessarily.

That being said, I also knew what a great companion she could be. I knew she could possibly make me laugh when I want to cry. I knew she could possibly want to be held right when I needed it most. I also knew that she would not be able to do this all the time, and that there was a possibility that she might not be able to at all. I got her because I wanted her. The comfort and joy she brings me are just a big bonus. And most importantly, good or not so good day, I just wanted her to be there.

She has exceeded my expectations in every way. My only expectations, were for her to be herself, whatever that meant, and for her to just be there. Yet, she makes me laugh more than I ever thought possible. She lights up my day, whether she's grouchy due to molting, etc. or not, and she's just as sweet as everyone says female tiels can be. So would I recommend a parrot as an emotional support animal? Maybe, because if your only expectations going in are the ones I had, they just might exceed those and be great at it in ways you may never have thought possible.

Last edited:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I agree so much!! My birds have always been benificial to my mental health, even though I do worry about them the positives outweights the negatives, they always make me smile and I love to have them for company and as a distraction, even cleaning their cage is super relaxing to me, just having someone to care for is good for grounding me too

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My girl is what makes me want to get out of bed every morning and she kills the loneliness and depression I feel when my husband is out of town for days ata a time. She also helps to calm my anxiety

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@Donna turner That's amazing! I'm happy to hear how much she helps you.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Bipolar here. Dexter saved me from myself some months ago. The mere fact that he needed me kept me here. No, he didn't somehow sneak out of his cage and convince me otherwise, he screamed. He needed me, no one else. I'm still working on getting to a doctor for those meds, things are complicated right now.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Hugs to all of you who go through this crummy illness stuff. It's so hard sometimes, but I'm glad your birds help make it easier for you too. :sadhug2:

Kodigirl210

A better term would be an emotional support companion. There’s a huge difference between an emotional support companion and a therapy bird.

A companion implies that we have no expectations other than friendship/relationship that we would have regardless of whether or not it was an emotional support animal.

Therapy indicates that we expect the bird to be trained to perform a job with anyone/ everyone and that is something almost all parrots (some rare exceptions can) are just not capable of doing.

We need to keep this knowledge firmly in mind whenever we deal with naysayers-that they have made incorrect assumptions of our expectations. We expect parrots to be parrots-nothing less and nothing more.

After that we will continue to do what have always done with our companion-let them help us through the tough times by just being themselves.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@Kodigirl210 Very true, and I do have companion listed in my post because I know Emery is a companion, not a pet or a therapy bird. I would never try to have her be a therapy bird to anyone ever. She would not be a good choice for that, regardless of her temperament.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I agree with this post so much! I also have several chronic illnesses which I'm very open about. I have had Sammy way before I was diagnosed with any of my medical stuff, but Sammy is definitely an emotional support animal for sure. She's my girl, my baby, she understands me like no one else. I can snuggle her, she knows when I'm upset or having a bad day. She can just tell. Same with my cats, they are very intune with how I'm feeling physically etc. When I'm having a bad day, they all come to my bed and curl up near me. Animals are the best, they do not judge, they do not smart off, they just sit and simply be with you.

@HolliDaze , I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I know the stigma of mental illness is bad, and I know it's hard to force yourself to go to the doctor when you just want to sit and cry. But, keep going! Praying for you and am always here if you want to talk. I don't have Bipolar disorder but I do struggle with anxiety and sometimes depression. Birds are very intune with how you're feeling.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@Gen120 Sammy sounds like a sweetheart. Parrots can be pretty amazing. Emery looks concerned when she sees me crying. I try not to do it around her for that reason because I don't want to upset her or stress her out, but sometimes I don't really have a choice. On my really hard days when I'm in so much pain that I'm stuck in bed for most of the day, after already being up for half the night, it's tough to stay positive. With my illness, came depression, so I do what I can, but some days the combination just hits so hard and I feel knocked down and wonder if I'm going to be able to get up again. When I'm feeling really down like that because of my illness and the mental strain from the depression, and can't help but cry, she's going to see that. I just reassure her in those moments that it's okay, and that seems to help.

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
It's a thin line to tread, but I do agree that birds can be phenomenal at filling emotional support roles for the right person and with the right bird. Though I also agree that they'd make a very poor choice as actual therapy animals.

During my darkest moments, it was Zyda who saved me. Just by being her own bratty, irreverent self she gave me enough reason to live. I made a promise to her that mine would be the only home she'd ever have to know, and I have to keep it.

Rowan keeps me grounded in another sense. I suffered from terrible social anxiety as a teen, and was selectively mute for much of my younger years. I trained Rowan to wear a harness and started bringing him with me to street fairs. I had no clue that would end up changing my life. People would see him and ask questions, and for the first time I wasn't terrified to talk to strangers because the topic was one so dear to my heart. Having him with me provided enough distraction and reassurance to stay calm, and he gave me a foundation on which to slowly build my confidence. I'm okay now. My anxiety is still there, but now I can manage it, mostly thanks to him.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
@Feather Social anxiety is frustrating. I've always been quite shy around strangers and used to go through social anxiety as well. That's so awesome that he helped make you feel more at ease in public, and of course what Zyda did for you is incredible as well.

Kodigirl210

I know that sometimes we echo our companions and sometime we choose them because they echo us. The breeder of Sif has offered a half-dozen times to switch her out or buy her back. But she is like me & I am like her. Half-blind, a little crippled in body but still full of life - ready to go out kicking & screaming lol. Everyone tells me she found the right home & honestly everyone has it seriously backwards. Sif didn’t find the right home, I found the right birb. ;)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I agree with them being emotional support companions. I’m not sure I’d still be here if it wasn’t for Sam. He’s the reason I can’t just stop. That, in part, is because I am aware of what could happen to him if I was gone.

He’s very sensitive, while not affectionate per se, he goes into preen-mode when I’m upset. It’s interesting because he’ll also be more quiet when I’m upset, not that he’s a loud bird to start with. He’ll tolerate me petting his head when he knows I’m upset.

Big hugs to everyone in this thread.