Birds and Chemo?

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by piercesdesigns, 8/27/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piercesdesigns

piercesdesigns Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Debbie
    I think I will be facing making a decision about putting Jamie on Chemo if her tumor comes back malignant.

She is a tiny little Jardine. I can't imagine how she will cope with it.

Any thoughts?
  2. wonderb

wonderb Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

Ellen
    I'm so sorry you are facing this decision. Making health decisions for our babies is so difficult. I think I mentioned this in the other thread, but I don't think I could put my bird through chemo. That is my personal choice. Maybe someone here has some first hand experience with it and can give you their perspective. :hug8:
  3. JLcribber

JLcribber Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

John
    I don't think I could put such a small bird through such traumatic treatment either without a guarantee that it would completely heal him and he would never need to go through something like that again.

To me it's all about quality of life. It's not enough to just exist (especially with pain).
    1 person likes this.
  4. birdlady

birdlady Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Leslie
    My little kiwi, a parrotlet went through chemo...she did very well and was comfortable for the time she had left. I did it knowing it would not cure her..I would do it again...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  5. piercesdesigns

Debbie
    I have lots of questions for the vet about the quality of life issues.

I am not ready to lose my little girl. She is only 9-ish. The lump on her throat is getting bigger though. I am very worried.
  6. Monica

Monica Rollerblading along the road

Monica
    Wish I had an answer for you! Unfortunately, my bourke parakeet has a tumor on her left foot and we weren't able to get all of it removed via surgery... well, all the bad cells, and it has grown back some. After putting her through surgery, I honestly can't imagine putting her through chemo! Granted, I don't know what all chemo entails for parrots, but if it were to weaken her in any way, I just couldn't do it!

I hope the growth is not malignant!
  7. birdlady

birdlady Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Leslie
    Make a list and take it with you...get all your answers and then make a Decision. Honestly I really did not see any side effects in kiwi during treatment...I wasn't ready to let her go either...I thought I would do one last thing for her to keep her happy and not hurting...

You need to make the decision that is right for you and your baby...ask all the questions and then decide...

2 people like this.
  8. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award

Bonnie
  9. Anne & Gang

Anne & Gang Riding the Skies Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avian Angel

Anne
  10. Tangle Elf

Tangle Elf Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Jen
    Can they tell at this point if they would be able to get all or most of it with surgery? I know surgery would also have risks, but it seems like it would be less risky and a quicker recovery, but I don't know anything about chemo in birds specifically.
  11. piercesdesigns

Debbie
    The vet is going to biopsy/likely remove it (if not attached to anything vital). After surgery, the cancerous nature will be assessed. Chemo has been discussed by him.
  12. Annamacaw

Annamacaw Rescue Rep Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Rescue Representative

Dianne
    Sending you lots of hugs.... I hope it is not malignant
  13. ThatDarnBird

ThatDarnBird Rollerblading along the road

I would do the chemo if I could afford it. Different protocols are used on animals than are used on humans, the drugs are not given in such amounts as to lower the quality of life. When my cat was dying of lymphoma I could not afford to do the full chemo protocol that might have given him another year. We were only able to give him an oral chemo drug to help maintain his quality of life for the time he had left and it did help him feel better. I would not hesitate to do the full chemo protocol if I was finacially able to do so.

These are such tough decisions to make.
    :hug8:
    1 person likes this.
  14. Conmom

Conmom Sprinting down the street

Helen
    I have been thru a type of chemo. It's horrible. I was very tired and felt lke anything could overwhelm me. Can't imagine how a small bird would feel. Follow your heart.
    1 person likes this.
  15. 65sunnyday

65sunnyday Biking along the boulevard

April, aka 'SUNNY'
    If you decide on chemo, your vet will undoubtedly determine dosage based on the bird's weight. Ask all your questions at once, when he gives the results of surgery/biopsy. As already suggested, have all your questions
    & concerns written down, & make note of any complicated answers. I don't mean to imply you don't know all this, I just know how easy it is to lose track when you're worried, & have carried too many emotional burdens for way too long. Maybe everything will be resolved soon, & you can go back to your regular hectic life.
    :hug8:
  16. birdlady

Leslie
    I want to say something here about the oral chemo we gave Kiwi....our vets at U of Penn informed us that it does not affect birds the way it does humans...that there are very few side affects. It was not traumatic on Kiwi or I would not have done it. She took her meds like a trooper and had one monthly chemo injection. Surgery was not an option for us as it was too risky on such a tiny little baby. We chose the chemo route and I am very happy we did.

We also chose the oral chemo route with our elderly lab Coco. She took lukaran and prednisone and it gave her good quality of life for her remaining three months until we made the decision to say good bye. Again there were few side affects while she was on the chemo.

You need to make this decision based on the information your vet gives you and your own gut feeling. I know it is not easy......:hug8:
    1 person likes this.
  17. piercesdesigns

Debbie
    I guess I am still reeling from hearing my beautiful eclectus has PDD and knowing we have decisions to make about him. He outwardly looks perfect. He is now on a regiment of drugs to slow the process of the disease. It is not a cure.

Jamie, the Jardines also looks perfect, plays, eats, loves. I am just having a hard time wrapping my mind around what I see and what is going on inside them.

My husband and I decided a few years ago that we would not add anymore birds to our lives. We expected to be making decisions on our babies when we were too old to care for them anymore, not now.
  18. birdlady

Leslie
    Awe so much happening at once....so hard. I remember when my Amazon passed so suddenly..I was so distraught...I had visions of me and him sitting on the front porch when I was old and retired....it was such a shock when he left me..unfortunately these things just happen when we least expect them....and tear us up inside.

Trust yourself...you will make the right decision....

19. marian

marian Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

20. DQTimnehs

DQTimnehs Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Jennifer
    I wouldn't put any animal, bird or being through chemo or radiation that didn't understand what was going to happen and make the choice themselves. Chemo is poisonous chemicals in a race to wipe out the cancer before the patient. In many cases, they don't make it through the whole treatment. Many people do not want to go through it and that is having the info at hand. My girlfriend had cancer in her 20's, had chemo and said if it came back she would not go through it again. And she is not even 50 yet.

There's no guarantee the cancer won't come back, there's no guarantee her life will be better after and it's hell to go through.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)