• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds and Bunnies?

Strider

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi, I'm new here.
I have two parakeets, a cockatiel, three rabbit, and a bearded dragon in the same room. Everybody is in separate cages for now. But I would like to give the birds and bunnies more space. The dragon's heat light is the main hazard in the room, so if I move him out, could I let the others free range together?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:
I wouldn't recommend letting them out together, either could be seriously injured.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think I have read that many rabbits are carriers of pasturella, which is passable to birds.

I imagine as both are prey animals they wouldn't intentionally hurt each other, but they both could do great harm to one another re-actively if not monitored.

CockatielCrazy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dylan Mc Bride
I have a free range rabbit in the same room as my cockatiels,the cockatiels are out from 4:30 until around 10. They do not interact,the birds stay high up and the rabbit stays on the floor. Rabbits saliva can harm a bird,but they don't come in contact. It depends on the personality of your rabbits and birds.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
i agree it depends on the bird and the buns. My buns are very curious, if the birds fly down to the ground they will go to them. My birds love the floor for some reason, you'd think being birds they would like staying up high. One of my birds will viciously attack anything that has fur. She is a hazard. If you have a bird like that then its best to have separate out of cage times.

Dragonseer

Walking the driveway
Also having lived with birds and buns--at different times--I agree with what others have advised: keep the two species apart for both safety and general health reasons.