• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie Training Bike

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Been working on some bike training over the weekend and Sonny already pretty comfortable perching :D 20231112_081110.jpg
20231112_081112.jpg
20231112_081108.jpg

Pico is still touch and go so all the pics have him are so blurry and the bike but at least he's not flying off whenever he sees the bike anymore :lol:
20231112_082414.jpg
20231112_082533.jpg
20231112_082619.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh this is so insanely cute I can't handle it! :heart:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
No way this is just cuteness overload thought waving was amazing but this is next level haha :rofl:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh this is so insanely cute I can't handle it! :heart:
Haha I can't too! I had to stop myself from taking pictures and actually get on with doing training :roflmao:

No way this is just cuteness overload thought waving was amazing but this is next level haha :rofl:
Hahaha that's amazing! I've tried to get my birds to wave too but since I taught them how to raise their foot for "hi" it just confuses them so I've given up on waving :hilarious:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Haha I can't too! I had to stop myself from taking pictures and actually get on with doing training :roflmao:

Hahaha that's amazing! I've tried to get my birds to wave too but since I taught them how to raise their foot for "hi" it just confuses them so I've given up on waving :hilarious:
I thought remi was stuck on shake hands but he’s got wave now

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You will have to share a training video gives me so ideas haha :rofl: Please:rolleyes:

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Emma&pico got a training video showing some tricks they know. I'm also working on "roll over" with Sonny right now (because he doesn't mind being on his back compared to Pico). Some other tricks I plan to teaching them are "wings out" and this hoop toy thing I got for them. Hope that gives you some ideas :laugh: 20231113_073311.jpg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Emma&pico got a training video showing some tricks they know. I'm also working on "roll over" with Sonny right now (because he doesn't mind being on his back compared to Pico). Some other tricks I plan to teaching them are "wings out" and this hoop toy thing I got for them. Hope that gives you some ideas :laugh: View attachment 437220

That’s amazing thank you pico is so good bless him and too cute :heart:

how did you teach fetch ball I am trying with remi he flips it to caught from a perch into my hand but won’t do it on floor

he will take hoop off the stand I have but doesn’t get the put it back on yet

how will you teach wings I don’t really want to push them up like I’ve seen on video I keep trying to catch him do it and reward

I forgot about tunnel pico can tunnel

can’t wait to see more your birds are amazing:cheer:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
This is so cool!!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s amazing thank you pico is so good bless him and too cute :heart:

how did you teach fetch ball I am trying with remi he flips it to caught from a perch into my hand but won’t do it on floor

he will take hoop off the stand I have but doesn’t get the put it back on yet

how will you teach wings I don’t really want to push them up like I’ve seen on video I keep trying to catch him do it and reward

I forgot about tunnel pico can tunnel

can’t wait to see more your birds are amazing:cheer:
For fetch ball I started with getting them touch the ball and rewarding. I would place the ball further and further each time so they would have to run to touch the ball and then running back to my hand for the reward. After they got that down then I started showing them the ball in my hand and rewarding if they touched the ball in my hand and last part was putting the ball some further and having them figure out they'll get the reward of they put the ball in my hand. I think it only took Pico less than a week to learn fetch and for Sonny it took a month or two haha.

For hoop I haven't started training yet so I can only say what I will probably try to do is get them to touch the hoop and rewarding then placing hoop further away and rewarding when they touch and then rewarding with the hoop still on the stand (so hopefully they know they get the reward if the hoop is on the stand) and then moving the hoop off and have them figure out they need to get the hoop on the stand for the reward

For Wings I definitely am not going to push either. I'll be rewarding when I see them stretching (they usually do this shoulder lift where they kind of raise both wings) I did catch a pic of Sonny doing it just now. So this position is what I'm going to try rewarding consistently 20231113_080107.jpg

A good way I found to have them really think if they're stuck on a part of a trick is to start giving lower value rewards if they're stuck on doing one part of the trick and immediately rewarding with high value (safflower or hemp for my birds) once they're on the right path again!

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
For fetch ball I started with getting them touch the ball and rewarding. I would place the ball further and further each time so they would have to run to touch the ball and then running back to my hand for the reward. After they got that down then I started showing them the ball in my hand and rewarding if they touched the ball in my hand and last part was putting the ball some further and having them figure out they'll get the reward of they put the ball in my hand. I think it only took Pico less than a week to learn fetch and for Sonny it took a month or two haha.

For hoop I haven't started training yet so I can only say what I will probably try to do is get them to touch the hoop and rewarding then placing hoop further away and rewarding when they touch and then rewarding with the hoop still on the stand (so hopefully they know they get the reward if the hoop is on the stand) and then moving the hoop off and have them figure out they need to get the hoop on the stand for the reward

For Wings I definitely am not going to push either. I'll be rewarding when I see them stretching (they usually do this should lift where they kind of raise both wings) I did catch a pic of Sonny doing it just now. So this position is what I'm going to try rewarding consistently View attachment 437223

A good way I found to have them really think if they're stuck on a part of a trick is to start giving lower value rewards if they're stuck on doing one part of the trick and immediately rewarding with high value (safflower or hemp for my birds) once they're on the right path again!
He’s got the touch ball down so thank you I will start moving it away from him now hopefully that makes a difference then move onfloor

yes that’s what I’ve been rewarding with wings saying big wings really excited voice haha:rofl:

flip was easy to learn turn around and shake hands
I think using safflower seeds like @Pixiebeak suggested helped loads

I think I need to remember he’s still a baby though and moulting bad so a tad grumpy at min lol

how old is sonny and pico ? It amazes me how clever birds are

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s got the touch ball down so thank you I will start moving it away from him now hopefully that makes a difference then move onfloor

yes that’s what I’ve been rewarding with wings saying big wings really excited voice haha:rofl:

flip was easy to learn turn around and shake hands
I think using safflower seeds like @Pixiebeak suggested helped loads

I think I need to remember he’s still a baby though and moulting bad so a tad grumpy at min lol

how old is sonny and pico ? It amazes me how clever birds are
I hope it works out!

Yeah I usually stop training as soon as I see them getting frustrated or losing interest haha. Aww poor baby is it Remi's first big moult?

Pico turned 1 in May so he's one year and a half years old. Sonny is about 10 months old (he turns 1 in January). It really is amazing how smart and how fast they learn :laugh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Such a beautiful GCC! The bike is precious! Such smarties both of you! :goodjob:

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
Sooooo much cuteness in here!!! The bike is adorable and fetching, oh gosh - sooooo sweet!!! :heart::heart: