• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdie Meal Schedules?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Hey all!
I was just curious: what kind of feeding schedule have you established with your birds? As in, at what time do you feed what type of food?

My tiels schedule has looked like this for some time now:
Morning: The tiels are fed a chop mix including lots of veggies and quinoa in their bowls. I also put pellets into a foraging tray which they LOVE to work out throughout the tray. Sometimes pellets go into a little cardboard foraging box on the side of the cage. I also often include some sort of fresh leafy greens hanging from the side of cage such as cilantro, parsley, carrot tops, kale, ect.

Afternoon: When I come home from work we have our training session, and so the tiels earn some of their favorite seed/nut treats (cashews are their favorites - they used to eat pine nuts but now reject it for other options).

Evening: Sometimes more chop. Sometimes sprouts. Sometimes some pellet berries. Sometimes their "pellet treats" (much to my dismay, Indy bird vastly prefers those colored Zupreem fruity pellets... He'll eat Roundybush, they are not his favorite). For a while I had a grain bake I was giving them, but it wasn't their favorite.

The reason I'm curious about all of your schedules is because I think it's time for me to mix up my birds' feeding schedule. When I was first trying to get my birds to eat chop, it made sense for me to serve it first thing in the morning so that they would be more likely to try it, but now my birds look forward to chop and dive right in as soon as it is in their cage.
I'm thinking of perhaps having some sort of mash (especially one with sweet potato and/or carrots - gotta get that Vitamin A!) in the mornings and consistently including fresh greens on the side of the cage every day (yay calcium!). I'll continue putting pellets in their foraging tray/toys for them to nibble on throughout the day. Then perhaps I could serve chop in the evening. I also have all the ingredients ready to go for a birdie bread recipe - I'm thinking that can be there "bedtime snack" so they have something to look forward when they go back into the cage at night.
Thoughts?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think your schedule sounds great, both the new way and old. I give my tiels pellets with a bit of seed mixed in every morning and leave it all day. They get sprouts late morning every day along with some greens. I give them greens and veggies at lunch and in the mid afternoon when they are out playing also. They get sprouts every evening, usually mixed with veggies. I give them nutriberries and Avicakes as treats a couple times a day, and they get birdie bread on the weekends.

Tiger Lily

Meeting neighbors
I'm still in the process of converting Pineapple from a seed addict to a healthy eater xD Not easy haha, we have made lots of progress though. Here is our schedule so far

Morning: In the morning I prepare his breakfast when I get mine. I usually make him some quinoa, rice, pasta or whatever we have in the house. I also chop up some veggies for him and give him sprouts. I mix it all up and we eat breakfast together. Whatever is left over goes into his cage

Afternoon: He doesn't really get anything special in the afternoon. Occasionally he might get a treat when out playing but otherwise he mostly just has his pellets to munch on

Evening: In the evening I dump out any left over fresh food. I refill his pellets and give him a small amount of seeds

Thats our schedule right now. Nothing fancy haha. I think the two posts above both look great. I love how you do a training session every afternoon. I'm sure they must enjoy that!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you for sharing! :)

I forgot to mention, but I'm also trying to find the best ways to give my birds the most variety over the course of one day. And I'd like to try to ensure they are eating Vitamin A rich foods like carrots! While they have carrots and bell peppers in their chop, they seem to pick around it a bit.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you tried mixing a bit of red palm oil in their food, which is high in vitamin A? My vet said that another way is to take a human beta carotene gel cap, poke a hole in it, and put a drop or two on their food twice a week.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Have you tried mixing a bit of red palm oil in their food, which is high in vitamin A? My vet said that another way is to take a human beta carotene gel cap, poke a hole in it, and put a drop or two on their food twice a week.
I have not yet used red palm oil, although it seems to be pretty popular. That would probably be the easiest way for them to get their vitamin A, right? Especially since they already enjoy chop.
I'd never heard of that second option though! o_O Learn something new every day!