• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird vs Hubby, guess who won?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Last night... I’m in the living room. :popcorn2:Hubby is doing a last-minute bird check as lights are starting to go out.

You have to understand, my sis in law says you can throw a napkin at these guys and it hurts.

Hubby: OW! Ow! Ow! Ow!....etc.

Me, racing into room: What’s wrong????:shocking:

Hubby, rubbing neck: Well ERnie :shocked3: bit me....(breathing hard) I can’t talk about it...

Me: Where’s Ernie? [spy him on floor, push hubby out door] Get out, get out. I’ll get Ernie.

Hubby, not moving: He is going up his ladder, he BIT me, first he bit my finger (shows finger, it’s fine) not too hard, then he bit my nipple, then he got on my shoulder and bit my neck!

Me: :embarassed::zipped1:Are you bleeding?

He shows me his nipple, which actually is bleeding, and a tiny place on his neck. OK so some damage.

Me: Hmmm how did Ernie end up on the floor?

Things became vague: I was trying to get him off...I think he flew..

Mm-hmm. AT this point the lights went completely out and there we were in the bird room in the dark.

Apparently Ernie wanted on his shoulder, which should be :wow: but he is beaky when climbing up. So hubby panicked as E grabbed his finger, so E got his shirt hence the nipple. He did manage to get up..... things fell apart then. I think because hubs is too scared of Ernie.

Maybe I should do the night check!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
What a classic example of miscommunication!!! Looks like someone needs more practice reading birdy body language. :rolleyes:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
They are such babies!
Last night Skittles hops off me to my daughter, who's sitting by my husband..then skittles proceeds to hop onto husbands leg.

Hubby: He's on me! he's on me!!!! Get him! He pooped on me!

Told my daughter to get him a wetwipe..husband says no, going to take a shower right away LOL

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have to admit, I'd probably be just as wimpy as Hubby with the biting! I keep reading all of your posts about it, and think "Thank God I have Budgies"! :backout::scared5::peek1:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Whahaha:rofl: I find it so amusing when people are afraid a bird Will bite:rofl: My best friend was okay with Tiki cause he didn’t go to strange people, but Henkie flies to everyone he meets. I told her when she didn’t want him to be on her I would call him away, but she Said she was only a bit scared and iT was fine. Henkie was sitting on her shoulder and wanted to give her a Kiss and she was like Robin help he is attacking me:rofl:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Many years ago, I was in a pub and met this man who told me he had a "fancy name, fancy name < can't remember the words Giant Amazon Snow Parrot", or something of that nature... (now I'm thinking - Hell, it doesn't ever snow in the Amazon, does it?)... Anyhow, this guy had him in his truck right outside the pub, and I thought it was a pick up line. :smug: He showed me the bird out the window, and sure enough, there it was sitting in his truck! I follow him outside, and he gets said parrot out of the truck, and says 'put your arm out and he'll sit on you'. Terrified, I extend my arm and the parrot starts biting my finger - I said "OW OW OW he's biting me!" The guy says - 'Oh no, he's just testing the perch'! Good golly, I still get chills when I think of sticking my arm out to a bird who could have easily taken off two or three fingers! But he DID get on my arm. It was a once in a lifetime experience, that!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Many years ago, I was in a pub and met this man who told me he had a "fancy name, fancy name < can't remember the words Giant Amazon Snow Parrot", or something of that nature... (now I'm thinking - Hell, it doesn't ever snow in the Amazon, does it?)... Anyhow, this guy had him in his truck right outside the pub, and I thought it was a pick up line. :smug: He showed me the bird out the window, and sure enough, there it was sitting in his truck! I follow him outside, and he gets said parrot out of the truck, and says 'put your arm out and he'll sit on you'. Terrified, I extend my arm and the parrot starts biting my finger - I said "OW OW OW he's biting me!" The guy says - 'Oh no, he's just testing the perch'! Good golly, I still get chills when I think of sticking my arm out to a bird who could have easily taken off two or three fingers! But he DID get on my arm. It was a once in a lifetime experience, that!
It does not snow in the Amazon... What on earth did this bird look like? :blink:

The biggest bird I ever held was a vasa parrot. I was at a bird store just looking to pick up some stuff for my tiels (they were out of pellet berries, and the batch I had ordered was late), and there were all of these species of parrot that I'd read about but had never seen in person. I think the lady at the bird store was impressed that I could even identify the vasa parrot, and so she asked if I would like to hold him. He was this young male vasa parrot, and my goodness, he was HEAVY!!! It felt like I was holding a modern day raptor, especially with his long, elegant neck. But he was so chill - he just sat there and stared at me. It was amazing! I wish I'd gotten a picture taken! Haha. :facepalm:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@ode.to.parrots It's been about 30 years ago since this event Ha ha - and all I can remember was the bird was huge, and white, and heavy! And he was magnificent! Who knows, he could have been a Cockatoo I guess? But I don't remember much of a plume on top of his head. Before I posted this, I tried to find something like the name I posted, and I had no luck. Maybe this old cowboy didn't know his species?!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
@ode.to.parrots It's been about 30 years ago since this event Ha ha - and all I can remember was the bird was huge, and white, and heavy! And he was magnificent! Who knows, he could have been a Cockatoo I guess? But I don't remember much of a plume on top of his head. Before I posted this, I tried to find something like the name I posted, and I had no luck. Maybe this old cowboy didn't know his species?!

I'm sure he had it wrong. If white, most likely a cockatoo, if it was a parrot.

I wasn't referring to you as a non-bird peep! Just the hubbies, friends, etc of the others I tagged. :) I'm afraid of big beaks. A lot of birds of other people I visit bite me. Cockatoo, caique, CAG. Maybe just the C-ones! :lol: I guess I forget that my birds know me and new birds don't. And I still yell sometimes if I get bit at home. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds to realize what's happening if I don't see it coming. :)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm sure he had it wrong. If white, most likely a cockatoo, if it was a parrot.

I wasn't referring to you as a non-bird peep! Just the hubbies, friends, etc of the others I tagged. :) I'm afraid of big beaks. A lot of birds of other people I visit bite me. Cockatoo, caique, CAG. Maybe just the C-ones! :lol: I guess I forget that my birds know me and new birds don't. And I still yell sometimes if I get bit at home. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds to realize what's happening if I don't see it coming. :)

Oh I was just teasing you - I am pretty wimpy though! :) I thought maybe the old cowboy made up that name for his Cockatoo, but then again, I'm the one who didn't believe he had a bird in his truck to begin with! You all are brave people! Ha ha - only the C-ones, that's Curious!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Whaha love the stories in this thread! One time a CAG bit me and I didn’t realise it either:rofl: It didn’t hurt, so I just stood there watching like huh what is he doing, took me a second to realise he was chewing away on my finger:lol:
Omg a vasa parrot! @ode.to.parrots ! That is really cool! I would love to see a kea one day:rolleyes:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They are such babies!
Last night Skittles hops off me to my daughter, who's sitting by my husband..then skittles proceeds to hop onto husbands leg.

Hubby: He's on me! he's on me!!!! Get him! He pooped on me!

Told my daughter to get him a wetwipe..husband says no, going to take a shower right away LOL
:headsmack:

Henkie was sitting on her shoulder and wanted to give her a Kiss and she was like Robin help he is attacking me:rofl:
Exactly! :laughing6: Hubby thought he was BITING when he just FINALLY WANTED TO BE FRIENDS!

:laughing7:

But Jennifer... @DQTimnehs .. I'm really a Bird Peeple, I'm just a WIMPY bird peeple! :nervous:
:loltears:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Not a darling CONURE though?? :D
One of the most painful bites I've ever had was from a GCC. I was at a different bird store (I like shopping for my birds, what can I say?), and I felt so bad for this little guy. He was a yellow-sided turquoise green cheek, and it was like they were trying to hide him by placing him in one of the bottom cages. :( I asked about him, and the vendor said that they were selling him at a discount because he chases other birds and bites people. I thought that was... odd. So of course I asked if I could try to hold him, and this guy was like, "Sure, good luck." I tried to offer this little conure a pellet berry I just bought; well, he took one nibble and then immediately went to chop my fingers. What was odd was, I was trying to very carefully read his body language, didn't put my hand in his cage at all, just let him come up to me. From what I could tell, biting fingers was a game to him. Poor guy thought it was fun! I kept a straight face (somehow) and just gently went to put him back on his perch. He clung to that soft fleshy skin between my fingers for a good ten seconds before finally letting me go and getting back on his perch. Man that hurt!!!

@TikiMyn I would LOVE to see a kea in the wild!!! They seem like such amazing parrots! Truly unique. :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@ode.to.parrots whaha that GCC strekt had character! Though you had such Nice intentions he couldn’t help iT :D It is very possible he was taught to bite, Henkie was taught to bite too, the little monster would bite like crazy cause he thought iT was FUN!:D

Kea’s are just gorgeous aren’t they:heart: Concerning looks I think they are the most beautiful birds, followed by bronze winged Pionus:rolleyes:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
@ode.to.parrots whaha that GCC strekt had character! Though you had such Nice intentions he couldn’t help iT :D It is very possible he was taught to bite, Henkie was taught to bite too, the little monster would bite like crazy cause he thought iT was FUN!:D

Kea’s are just gorgeous aren’t they:heart: Concerning looks I think they are the most beautiful birds, followed by bronze winged Pionus:rolleyes:
Yeah... Me being me, I considered for a brief moment taking him home, since I feel like I have just enough experience with bird training that I could change his biting behavior, but I wouldn't want to put my tiels at risk. Bite me all you want, little conure, but don't even think of biting one of my tiels!!! Since I'm in a one bedroom apartment, they would've been in the same room, and even with different out-of-cage times, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a conure clinging onto the bars of one of the tiel's cages. :confused:

Aw man. I'd have to say I do find bronze-wing pionus a tad more beautiful than keas, but they do have a similar beauty about them. I love how, for both species, the colors are most radiant under the wings. Takes my breath away every time they spread their wings. :heart: