• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird tricks .com anyone ever use them???

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm doing some research and would love to order an intructional DVD on how to train our GCC who "randomly" bites hes only a year old and I have only had experience with Cockatiels so anyways I was wondering if any of you guys have ever used or have heard of this website?? I have watched some of their youtube videos and they seem pretty legit.....
One Day Miracles - A BirdTricks.com Revelation

Thanks for reading~!!!

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Lots of strong opinions about birtricks in the avian community. I actually ordered some random used DVDs of theirs super cheap on ebay just to see why on earth so many people don't like them. Basically the same way we trained our bird (who is a very happy, healthy and friendly bird), just packaged up in a "flashier" way with a few advertisements to buy their other products thrown in. Nothing "new" and "never been tried before" per se, just more easily understandable for some people to follow along with. They totally have a cheesy/gimmicky vibe too, but they actually have pretty sound methodology IMO. I think their "style" of teaching is much more engaging than some of the dry, bland put-you-to-sleep trainers. I also like what I see when I look at footage of their birds. They act like birds, they are well social, they are independent and healthy. Perhaps not everyone's taste (again, totally cheesy, the whole lot of them lol), but you could probably gain some insight if you are very new to birds. If you've had birds a while though, this is not 'new' information. Could still be a useful refresher though...

Last edited:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree with kiwi, you will get a lot of mixed reviews for this company.

I have a couple DVDs from them. They seem really old and I wish they would update the DVDs. I only bought them while they were clearanced, otherwise I would have been a little upset at the price for the quality. I did learn some things, but def wouldn't want to pay full price. I don't think I have the one day miracles, so I can't speak for that one. The best thing so far, that I got from them, is their feeding program. Great stuff, and don't regret that purchase :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
from what I have seen in past yrs many on AA would say don't waist your money they will say read this read that but I have followed them on my email and only thing idont like is there sales pitch,,lol I don't see where it would hurt but I do not beleave in there 1 day bull , they have a few id like to try but it has to wait for better times Mango is a clear talker but its far and few between these are the ones id love to get. if you do end ip sending for it please let us know if it helps
remember what works for one dosent always work for others
im sure many will be in to guide you,,lol
mind you im against a lot of things the pros do and use but will get some good out of all lol I mean if I get bit ill holler screm there is no way in $@@$@$@ ill axcept it I beleave in letting a bird know yes im happy and no im in pain Mango knows he might get a bitr in but also knows he had better stay away cause im on the war path lol
so id say get the video cause im sure there will be some usefull things in it

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys for the helpful advice! I think I may purchase the 37$ special they have just to give it a shot! I will update here! :)

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I have their dvd for training small birds and it's pretty good, I agree that it seems old and in need of updating but I like their style using positive reinforcement. The guys are a bit irritating to watch but I'm not very good at listening to people when trying to teach me stuff (unless it's Jared Leto). I watched it in snippets rather than the whole thing. Their birds seem very happy and well cared for and trusting of them which is always nice to see but they do advertise their products a lot which is a bit irritating, then again that's how you sell things so fair enough I guess. I like them overall from what I've seen, I 'd like to buy the nutrition books but they are pricey, does anyone know if they are worth getting?

Zoncontoo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lea
I got a special promotional thing in my email a while back and I went ahead and got it. It was only $2.99 and was on stopping screaming. I don't need this with my birds, but I thought I would watch it to see their methods. I haven't watched it yet but I have seen short free videos on youtube. I was thinking about getting their full set but I haven't really had the need for it, as whenever I have questions or need advice, I hit the forums and have always found good advice and suggestions :smuggrin:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They have been around quite a while and have done very nice things with their birds. Over the years they have changed many of their methods. You should watch also the videos about how they help people who are having problems with their birds. Their response is interesting in some of the cases.

I prefer the teachers who help support their students to make changes in a positive way.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I was also curious about birdtricks as well. But to me, information should be free, and that's why I didn't get it. It should be about helping the birds, not about getting the money.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I prefer using real behaviorist videos and knowledge. I dont like talking to or reading pretenders works when there are real experts out there with real knowledge and experience who dont steal and use other's works as there own.

End of rant.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The Bird Tricks people are first and foremost sales people. That alone puts me off. Second, they take information from the real experts, change the words and call it "new". It is not new, or any different. They have, in the past, recommended flooding techniques which can cause aggression or learned helplessness. They have also stolen videos from experts and used it on their website as their own. This being years ago.... they also had fake testimonies from clients - the only difference would be the bird's species, or maybe the bird's name.... otherwise, it read the same.

I don't doubt that they love parrots and I don't doubt that they love helping people, but everything about them annoys and bothers me. I have heard that they have starved birds in order to train them in the past. Not something I agree with.

I would recommend Barbara Heidenreich, Lara Joseph, Susan Friedman, Melinda Johnson, Karen Pryor, Sid Price, Steve Martin, Kelly Ballance, Jim McKendry, Pamela Clark, Hillary Hankey or even Chris Shank over Bird Tricks *any* day.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
:) Monica...Thanks for your help! I will definitely look into those other people mentioned!

Mintymarie14

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Montanna
Omg BirdTricks i love them and i love their galah bandit and their macaw crash :rofl: :rl:

waterloggedfun

Checking out the neighborhood
I have purchased a couple of videos and communicated with them directly. Things I LOVE- They are genuinely bird people, it is clear (watch their youtube videos) that they absolutely care for their birds and they are doing something right! They are also very professional and have an entertaining and engaging teaching style. It makes bird behavior information easy to understand for those that dont really want to learn the science part of it, they just want to be able to communicate with their bird. I absolutely recommend them and even though they're not the most well known bird experts, I believe they are just as good as the best of 'em. Things I Dont like - the gimmicky, marketing, sales aspect of it. They have to make a living. They've made birds their livelihood - there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just not a fan of how they pitch their products on the website, but I suspect this is not a site they are directly typing things into, but rather outsourcing this part to a person or company that handles the cheesy marketing stuff. Again, nothing wrong with it, because the products are actually really good products, just not the way I like to be "sold" on something. I only trusted buying their products after watching the youtube videos and asking them questions directly. Hope this is helpful.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Parrot DVDS | Parrot Books | Parrot Training

I’ve had quite a few birds from rescues -
IMO bird tricks creates them - ONE DAY MIRACLES - there was one woman who couldn’t do anything right in their eyes - and probably mine too -

But she’s being filmed for a commercial dvd

wonder how her macaw faired after their not very subtle put downs ...

Barbara Heidenreichs methods will see you through all kinds of behaviors -

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Yes, the Birdtricks people are marketing and making a living. Do they do a good job in most cases, I think so. As with anyone, I take with a grain of salt, see if it makes sense, does it seem to be something my bird would enjoy, am I able to apply it? The only group I do not like is that Parrot wizard Michael. Makes my eyes roll out of my head. I also like Barabara Heidenriech and others. Just need to shop around, find a style you and your bird like, and try it for yourself.
sherri

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm, not too sure what it all means but I got an email from BT’s saying something about them retiring.
I didn’t read the email properly but looks like they are having a massive sale on all their DVD’s etc.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Hmmm, not too sure what it all means but I got an email from BT’s saying something about them retiring.
I didn’t read the email properly but looks like they are having a massive sale on all their DVD’s etc. [/QUOTE

YAY !!!!!!