• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Toy Part

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
The other day we stopped by Walmart, and while my parents shopped for groceries, I visited the craft section and found these wooden beads of various sizes and colors.
8143478A-DC84-4A88-AF0F-3DE267E777A7.jpeg
They looked cool, and my first thought was a bird toy part. But then I thought, are they safe? Well, I brought them home anyway, thinking I would post a thread here for opinions. So here I am. Worst case, if it isn’t bird-safe, I’ll find another use for it. But has anyone had any experience with using these or something similar for bird toys?

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Only adding to the choir here, but I agree that these beads would not be suitable, as they have been finished with a varnish. We have them at our local Wal-Mart too and I've used them for craft projects, but definitely wouldn't use them for bird toy making.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You could get beads that are meant for children, the paint of those has to be safe for them:)

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
When looking at the painted beads for kids, check to see what age it's appropriate for. Manufacturers believe kids that are over three won't be putting things in their mouths so it may or may not be bird safe especially if they say supervised only.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They have some kind of finish/varnish on them, and you also don't know what kind of wood they're made out of. I wouldn't risk it.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks for all of the replies guys, just wanted to be safe! @Lady Jane, I should be able to find something to do with them. I'll add them to my tub of craft supplies. I have a problem with buying craft supplies and not using them; but I believe I'll find something for each and every one in the end. :)