• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird thrashed around cage, now has bald spot. Help!

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
One night while we were all asleep, there was a loud crashing sound outside of my window (which her cage is next too) So it startled her enough to make her thrash around her cage. I was freaking out and scared she was going to hurt herself so i let her out as fast as i could. When she flew out i noticed right on the top of her head, she was missing some feathers. And now has a bald spot. Im worried about it because she still hasnt grown her feathers back yet. Its been probably like a month or maybe 2. How long do things like this usually take to grow

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
First of all please move the cage away from any window. What species of bird are you talking about? Did you see ny blood at the time? Missing feathers is really not n emergency. It takes a few months for feather re growth. Relax your bird i ok.

BreeNana

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
BreeNana
Is it bad to have her cage by the window? I figured maybe she wanted some sun or fresh air when shes in her cage...which isnt very often. Just night time and durring the day for maybe 2 hours. Shes a scrub jay.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The sun shine through glass is filtered and of no benefit to a bird. Birds can see things outside that may send them into a fright like your bird did. Cage against wall is safer.