• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird tapping beak against cage all night

emooheo

Moving in
Hi all,

I took my conures happy hut away from him a couple years ago after reading about them. Ever since then, he has resorted to sleeping in the top corner of his cage, near where his happy hut was, but hangs on the bars and isn't perched. I noticed when I first took it away, he started tapping his beak against the cage for at least an hour before bed, but I was able to drown it out with white noise and putting him in the other room.

Recently, I had to start sleeping in the same room as my bird, and noticed he not only does it for an hour before bed, but randomly throughout the night. Any suggestions what I should do? It is keeping my up for a large portion of the night, and he still wakes up at 6:30 am.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You could try making him a hut from seagrass mats. I know there's a few posts already on the forums regarding this but can't recall where lol. I'm sure one of the members who made their own will be along soon.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
A large wooden next box is a safer and natural option to sleep in.

emooheo

Moving in
Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer a premade solution if possible, I'm not very handy. If anyone has something they would recommend I would appreciate a link!

I initially wanted to get rid of the hut for safety, and have read it promotes hormonal behavior. I am wondering if it actually made the hormonal behavior worse, since he isn't sleeping well. Would a nest box promote hormonal behavior as well?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Last edited:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think the swing or the cozy corner would. And I thought the concern with happy huts was more the risk of thread being ingested. But I've never used them.

@webchirp ?
Oh, right. I didn't open the last link with the swing. And when I saw the cozy corner I thought is was a bath robe :facepalm:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Haven Hut for Pet Birds – Crazy K Farm here is one I found recommended by someone in a youtube video, what do you all think? The cozy corner seems like it might work as well

I also have a pak-o-bird, and a smaller cage, which I can maybe use as a sleep cage

I really wish they'd painted Pinocchio's face instead of the "home sweet home" brown house on the second picture :wacky:

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey,

Try getting a corner platform. Just a piece of wood that he can perch on that shouldnt stir up his hormones too much.

Also, maybe hanging some of his favourite toys in the spot he likes to sleep might help him feel safe, if he can perch between them, or beside it for example he will know its there and can touch it if he feels unsafe.

I use to have a separate small "bedtime cage" for my birds. It was smaller so they felt safe and secure. In the morning I would put them in their day cages

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have moved to a platform with a snuggly...similar to the fleece swing but hangs from the top of the cage so they can snuggle under it on the platform. Snuggle fleece... @Laurie

Hachi had a cozy corner but she did start picking the fibers out in one spot so I switched her.

Oh and the beak tapping may just be a soothing action he does...I'd be curious to see if it goes away with a snuggie.

Last edited:

emooheo

Moving in
I have found that after moving him to the pak-o-bird at night, he seems to sleep better but definitely still taps his beak for a while randomly. Luckily its not quite as loud.. so, not sure if the platform I bought will help

Ephy

Walking the driveway
I am just curious and wanted to ask, but is it possible he is reacting to you or something in the room?

Do you make noise just before he beak taps at all?

My House Sparrow ALWAYS likes to complain if we disturb his sleep after he has gone to bed.

If we get too loud, talking or laughing, if the tv is too loud, if there is too bright a light shinning into his room, he will start banging his mirror or hanging toys against the side of the cage.

He will continue to bang his toy into bars of the cage over and over until whatever is bothering him stops.

Is it possible you are keeping him awake somehow? Or a night light is bothering him?

If not...could the room be too dark? Maybe a soft light will help him be more aware of his surroundings?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

emooheo

Moving in
I have tried several things over the past few weeks and nothing seems to be working
1) wooden platform. He just avoided that corner of the cage entirely after putting it there. Slept on other side of cage continued tapping. Left it in the cage for two weeks
2) bought a sea grass hut. He is avoiding this entirely. Same story, been a few days
3) more perches throughout

It is past midnight and he is occasionally still tapping his beak, keeping both of us awake. Honestly at this point I am thinking I will have to put the snuggle hut back into his cage and just keep an eye on it.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Leave the new additions in for a while longer if you can still tolerate it to see if he adjusts to the new things.

But if you're at your wits end and need sleep, If need be, only put snuggle hut in at night and take it out in the morning as part of your routine. This way he has snuggle hut for night sleep but doesn't have it in the day time to associate with a nest [ or less so ]. Taking it out daily also means you can inspect it for loose threads/ picked fluff.