• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Talk Magazine Subscription.....Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thinking of getting a Bird Talk Magazine Subscription. Does anyone here have one, and do you think it's worth getting? Does it supply much more information than we get access to here?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a subscription - part of a gift my boyfriend made me.
Had it for a few years now and if it wasn't for him just renewing it, I wouldn't bother.

For one, the information from year to year is rather similar unless there is some new breakthrough, but chances are you would here about that on the forum as well.

The magazine is also less thick than it used to be and seems to be mostly ads.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Yes there are a lot of ads in it but I still love to get it every month:D

For like $8 a year I think it is worth it

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes there are a lot of ads in it but I still love to get it every month:D
For like $8 a year I think it is worth it
Believe it or not, less ads = less articles. Ok, so I have been subscribing to Bird Talk since 1987 ... at that time they consistantly had like 170ish pages. I think Bird Talk Mag started new like in 1985. Well, so I've read articles over the years and they really do go in circles, after all how many times can you write about the same specie over the amount of years they've been publishing?!

Now this present month that is out which is their May issue has a mere 48 pages!! Now a days I look more at the ads than the articles. So due to the high cost of ads and bad times for quite sometime, less advertisers result in less articles... they even told me this!

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Actually, a Canadian Subscription is $25 for 12 Issues...

Hmm, Good Bird Huh? Will have to check it out. Any other suggestions?

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I get way more from Avian Avenue than from Bird Talk Magazine!!!!!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Oh and in addition to my above post I would like to say, I belong to the American Federation of Aviculture and that magazine has some nice articles in it and it is a bi-monthly mag with 57 pages, does a little stuff on pets but also geared towards more rarities of parrots and breeding and just in their new mag is on "Golden Macaws"!! Plus I get good, no that is fantastic advertising!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Oh and in addition to my above post I would like to say, I belong to the American Federation of Aviculture and that magazine has some nice articles in it and it is a bi-monthly mag with 57 pages, does a little stuff on pets but also geared towards more rarities of parrots and breeding and just in their new mag is on "Golden Macaws"!! Plus I get good, no that is fantastic advertising!
I get that magazine too! It's very good!!!
This issue had gorgeous mutations in it!o

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I dont think it is worth it. Their magazine shrank a rediculous amount and I didnt renew my subscription. I agree with Mercedez, if you want a superior magazine get Good Bird Inc. Unfortunately they mainly push a downloadable magazine. You can get it in print but they charge more.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Good to know!

Yes Jan, I recently joined the Parrot Association of Canada, and they publish a Journal that Im assuming will be as informative as the AFA Mag is. Maybe I should stick with that. I will for sure check out the Good Bird Mag though. If it entertains such minds as yours, it should keep me happy, LOL I just love getting mail, and bird mail is even better!!

Bethany

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
I have a subscription to it, but I doubt I'll renew it this year..
Its really expensive for us Canadians, and really NOT worth it. The odd time they will have a nice article that I learn something, but most of it I can find here and other bird sites.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I didn't renew my subscription. I think there is much better information on AA and other magazines. One that others haven't mentioned is Sally Blanchard's publication, the Companion Parrot, another online subscription.

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
I agree, not worth it for us in Canada. I'd rather talk to people like all of you that have hands on experience to my questions or issues. I dont like paying for ads!

Status
Not open for further replies.