• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird sneezing and spitting up?

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
My Cinnamon Green Cheek (about a year old) has been bobbing his head up and down very quickly and spitting up seeds. The seed is always whole, so I assume this is normal? There's no water with the spit up seeds. He also bobs his head like that when he's excited. But, i've noticed sneezing, too. He doesn't sneeze much, but when he does, it's usually one quick sneeze, not a sneezing fit. I can't tell if there's discharge or not, but I think there was one time when he sneezed on my neck. He was disease tested almost a few months ago, and there's no serious infection that we know of. My room is pretty dry, and I heard that can be a factor. He also itches his head a lot, but only around the house. When we're out and about, he doesn't tend to scratch his head. So is it that my house is dry or is it something bigger?

Side note: When I thought I felt slight discharge, it could have been his beak grazing my neck, I don't know.

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
Side note again: He hasn't sneezed for a while so it could have been a fluke

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
Just found out the head bobbing and regurgitating is a sign of affection... Gross, but sweet!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if he is sneezing: is it a dry Sneeze or wet Sneeze? it may need to put a humidifier in the room a couple days a week for dry sneezes wet sneezes, please see a vet.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Could be a sign of affection (tis the breeding season) or a bacterial/yeast infection. If you haven't taken him in for his yearly checkup, now is a good time. An avian vet should do a swab from throat and poop to see what if any bacteria is going on. This called a gram stain.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wouldn't call bringing up seeds necessarily normal. If it's reproductive behavior you need to take steps to reduce that, but I would also worry about an infection of some kind. A vet visit is warranted to rule that out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could be a GI yeast problem. I don't mean to scare you but I had a budgie die from this. Please take bird to an avian vet.

Noah

Real Name
Noah Smith
if he is sneezing: is it a dry Sneeze or wet Sneeze? it may need to put a humidifier in the room a couple days a week for dry sneezes wet sneezes, please see a vet.
When he sneezes, it's dry. That time I thought it was wet? We just got out of the shower, and it wasn't a sneeze, he was shaking his head to get the water off of him. So it's most likely the very dry air of my house.