• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird smell

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I have two Linnie's purchased from the pet store. I assume they are siblings and have always been together. They both eat the same food and poop the same, and I've noticed no signs of poor health or anything. They both get mist baths daily (sometimes every other day). My question is, why does Jasper have a really noticeable musky bird smell while Buttercup has next to nothing?

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Are you sure it's not normal "bird smell"? All birds have a smell to them, kind of like a very light down smell but not a musty smell like you described. I looked it up and all I can get is keep giving them regular baths and clean their cage regularly. They both sound healthy so I wouldn't think it was a health issue but if your concerned ask about it on their next vet visit.

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
It is "bird smell" for sure. I kind of have a hyper sense of smell, so things always smell more and worse to me. I'm just curious why one would have a scent and the other not. Gender related, color related, that kind of thing.

I do feel like Jasper has waaaaayyyyyy more feathers than Buttercup, maybe that has something to do with it. He's loosing a few, but could do to drop a whole lot more if you ask me. when I bathe them, I have yet to see skin on Jasper except on the tippy top of his head because of all that down!!! Whereas Buttercup resembles a hairless cat after baths :)

BeeBop

:hehe: That is weird though that one would have a more noticeable smell than the other. It could very well be just because he has more feathers. :)

mstomcat65

Real Name
Marti
I don't know much about linnies but I had a female blue and gold macaw that had a kind of musky smell when she was very excited or very scared of something. I now have a male severe macaw and he don't have it. I have a nose like a hound dog so I may have noticed it more then others lol. I'm curious to see what responses you get because I'm wondering if it's a male/female thing or if just certain birds have this smell.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I don't have linnies but my cheeks have different smells. The only one that is really off or noticeable is Julip...she smells like she has rolled around in a bag of birdseed. I've noticed this smell on birds that have come in but eventually went away. Now I'm wondering if it is from possible liver elevations. Julip has not lost that smell but she has a bad liver.

Peppo

Maybe it is a male thing? When Paco is flirting with me he emits a flower smell, like gardenias! I actually love it!

G

Genie

Genie came to us in the summer of 2002 at the reported age of 27 & he had a very pleasant flowery odor about him. We were assured he was a female & that female macaws smell like that.
During a full exam, the vet asked permission to take a liver sample with a needle, we used that sample for a DNA sexing, it came back male. Well, so much for the rescue expert.
Point being, our male macaw emits a very pleasant flowery odor at times, it seems to be around breeding season.
Many years ago, I had a female B&G & she had no noticeable odor.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Most of my birds don't have a smell at all. If my nose is pressed against them, I smell hay and seed. A good natural smell, whether male for female. It's kind of why I was asking someone else why they were using deodorizers near their birds.

I have little birds though and maybe that makes a big difference? btw: My yorkie Lucky smells bad. It's his natural smell and people told me small dogs always smell. We got Star another yorkie and she smells so good! Like candy and I can't get enough of it. So there goes that urban legend.

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon used to have a lovely musky smell especially after he had achieved a 'waggy-tail' but since he was so sick the smell has totally gone. He has also only achieved 2 'waggy-tails' since then; 16 months.