• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird slammed into a wall

Lelushio

Meeting neighbors
0A2E056F-078C-4DAF-B637-BD7404CE983E.png So yesterday my lovebird bit my sister really hard, and out of reflex my sister shook her off and she crashed into the wall. She became paralyzed for a good 5 minutes and would not move. She eventually started getting better but her behavior since then is odd. She’s showing signs of a concussion: Having loss of appetite, very sleepy, uncoordinated flight, has little energy, etc. She also has this red spot on her beak and I think it might be the point of impact where she hit the wall. I’ll upload a picture soon. I am one hundred percent taking her to the vet soon but since it is Memorial Day I may not be able to take her for another day or two. Any advice on what she might have and how to take care of her until she can go to the vet?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
See if you can find an emergency vet. It would be a good idea to get her in ASAP. Does sound as if she has a concussion/possible traumatic brain injury or she may just be in shock right now and will get over that but this happened yesterday. Call around to different emergency clinics and ask if they see birds and how many birds they see daily/weekly, etc. Do not let her come out and fly around. Leave her in her cage so she can rest. You may have to lower perches and pad the bottom of the cage if she seems off balance. If she is not eating or drinking you need to consider getting some formula and hand feeding her. You can also give her a small amount of an electrolyte drink such as pedialyte.
Hope she will be OK.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a bird with a concussion and he wound up with neurological involvement. The first vet I took him to diagnosed him as being malnourished but he wasn't eating enough because of the injury and he was exhibiting other symptoms besides lack of appetite so I took him to another vet who confirmed that he had a concussion. He wound up being hospitalized for 3 weeks and was finally recovered enough to go home but he was never the same. Exhibited balance issues and head tilt. Not as interactive as he used to be. It's good to get your bird checked very soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I’m so sorry. Definitely look into emergency vets.
I second the padding and lowering of perches.
Other than that I don’t have much advice. I hope more people are able to chime in for you. Please keep us updated :heart:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
See ER vet asap please

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know we're a broken record, but instead of just repeating "look into emergency vets," I wanted to add some context: If your bird has a brain or spinal cord injury, there may be dangerous swelling in the nervous system. The extent to which that swelling can be controlled early on will determine whether or not your bird will have permanent damage. If at all possible, she needs to be at a vet receiving anti-inflammatories and supportive care like fluids. She also may be at risk of seizures if there is swelling in her brain. If she has a seizure, it would be best for that to happen at the vet, where they can stop it immediately with medication. In the meantime, definitely keep her quiet and in an environment where she can't hurt herself again. If you post a general area where you are, we may be able to help with emergency vets.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is your bird doing today?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If only longterm members can reply, is the OP able to reply with updates?