• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird seed moths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleta

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Aleta
I know they are probably a major source of the protein in our bird's seed. However, I am faced with an outbreak of these pesky moths as they continue to reproduce. I have recently started to keep the seed in the refridgerator. Does anyone who has been up against this issue have any suggestions of how to rid the home of these without using chemicals or moth balls? Maybe some kind of elixer that they would be attracted to. Or maybe light candles that would attract them.

Aleta

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh, I am so currious to hear what others have to say, I also have this problem. However, since winter it has been less, but I am dreading the warmer weather because I see at least 1-2 each day so I know they are still around. Last summer, no kidding I would kill about 10 a day just in our living room. I am a breeder and we have lots of dishes with seeds in them, so I know that this is the cause. Last year is the first time though that I ever had them, and I have been breeding for 10 years now. Help us someone, how to get rid of these nasty pests.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
never thought of the sticky box but sure as shootin im getting it
i got then from walnuts last yr and been told till the male is dead
your never rid of them hope that sticky box gets him ,,lol
in mangos water some days im happy at night i some times get 10
but there still here thanks about the sticky box

next is putting nuts in freezer for 2 days

Aleta

Real Name
Aleta
JOHN: I typed in "moth" and "moths", and my search came back with "0" results. Even your link doesn't work for me. Those sticky boxes must have some sort of coating that attracts the moths. I have used those sticky traps for other bugs, and ended up catching a gecko in it. It broke my heart wouldn't you know.

DELORES: I obviously have an over abuntant amount of males, because I catch at least 5 in the act of having some sort fun while making my life miserable!

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I prefer freezing my seed/pellets for at least 24-48 hours over refrigerating it. I haven't had an outbreak of the moths in a while though, so haven't been as diligent about freezing the birds food.

I'd say to just get the sticky box traps, and if you are worried about your other pets/birds going for the box, then simply get a small cage (Craigslist, anyone?), put the box trap inside of it, and hang it up!

I never used that method though... I simply vacuumed up the moths, caught them in empty plastic bottles and gave said bottles to the cats... or played target practice with a squirt bottle (and promptly being followed by the cats so that they could get their "goodies").

Aleta

Real Name
Aleta
Does anyone have any suggestions of where I might find the specific moth traps at? I've checked Lowes and a few other places. Is this an item that is specifically sold in pet stores, or feed companies?

Greytfeather

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keri
In addition to freezing, I've heard that vacuum sealing the extra seed for a while will kill the larvae. No oxygen.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I got them at Home Depot in the gardening section. You can order them online from a number of the bird store vendors.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Flour moths are great cat toys! The moth traps work great.

Aleta

Real Name
Aleta
I ordered some from Pestremover on ebay. Can't wait!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
In addition to freezing, I've heard that vacuum sealing the extra seed for a while will kill the larvae. No oxygen.
since my first tiel, i have kept seed and pellets in tupperware type containers.i've never had a problem with moths... i actually didnt know they could get into seed until i saw this post. LOL

lora

Meeting neighbors
I freeze every bit of pellet, nutriberry, bulk food item (except the dried fruits). From there they go into an air tight container (not something like an oatmeal container - but something that seals air tight.) I haven't had the problem ever since.

Now I'm just dealing with fruit flies every single time I buy bananas but I just vacuum them up while they're flying about a couple of times a few hours apart and it seems to do the trick with them.

If I have the space, I just store all of my pellet/seed items in the freezer until it's time to use them, then they go into the fridge section if needed. I try to keep as much in there somewhere as possible.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The moth traps are treated with a pherome which attracts the moths. Yeah. In summer I get a lot of flies in the house because there is a hole in the foundation of the house. I hang sticky fly ribbons inside old birdcages so the birds don't get stuck in them and that works great.

Enchanted Critters

Walking the driveway
I had a major outbreak of them when I purchased a bulk lot of mixed seed for my flying squirrel. Luckily, it was contained to my spare bedroom so I always kept the door shut. I hung up about 4 hanging sticky fly traps. They did a good job. I keep all my seeds/nuts frozen and refrigerated now, and the problem has decreased dramatically. Every once in a while I will see one, but I kill it and move on. Im lucky they dont seem to be interested in my chinchilla feed and supplies.

The downside to the hanging ones-they are yucky to look at and even yuckier to get on your hands/skin. I am a klutz and have long hair and have walked into them several times! They are very cheap though, I think I paid a buck for 4!

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
I did the seed moth traps, fly paper and vacuumed my celling in the morning and early evening, we are moth free now and I freeze my food for the fids. Forgot at night I put a small bug zapper in the bathroom and the moths where attracted to the light and fried.....

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
we had a MAJOR issue with these •••• things for the longest time. I began to freeze the new bags of seed before i would use them. I pour a good amount of the frozen seed into easy pour containers (like for cereal) and use the smaller vessel for day to day use of the seed. when it is empty i just fill it back up with frozen seed. in the mean time i used moth traps and sticky fly traps (away from the birds) and i havent had a problem since...also Higgins safflower gold now comes in an airtight bag so i dont even see the seed moths anymore anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.