• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird Scared to Death Almost!

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I am concerned about my two year old red bellied parrot. The other night we had the security system alarm go off and it is a very loud one. Sounds like some bird from *ell screeching!

It must have been going off for a few minutes before I awoke since I was on some drugs and antibiotics for an infection of my respiratory system. I awoke all foggy. My poor red bellied must have thrashed around in her cage before I went down the stairs to turn the circuit breaker off. Malfunction of the system I guess.

She dropped 17 flight feathers! No blood feathers. She also dropped 11 tail feathers! What a beautiful tail she had too. I found no blood feathers in any of it and looked her over which she firmly did not like at all! She is looking very tired so I covered her cage on three sides and let her look at her favorite friend on the table right by her (my yellow sided conure). She moves around okay but is not eating much seed (maybe two teaspoons). I gave her lots of delicious fruit, veggies and her home made birdie bread. She is now eating and drinking and bobbing to some music I just put on. This all happened 24 hours ago.

My question is: What happens to make a bird drop all of these feathers all at once? From the looks of her cage I fully expected broken bones. She seems fine in that respect and told me not to check again by biting me firmly. Now I need medical attention!

Is this a natural thing that happens when a bird thinks that she is being attacked? I am talking about the dropped feathers. She has but one tail feather sticking out her backside. No flights on one wing at all.

Mommy, my butt hurts! Poor girl. IMG_20151229_114723_116-1_1.jpg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Poor baby...she is a cutie. Who knows but I guess she was flying & thrashing against the bars so they got caught & ripped out. Luckily if the distance is short enough she won;t gain too much momentum to hit the side too hard to break bones. Do they have a night light? It could help.

Sudden loud sounds spell danger & she was just thrashing to try to get to safety.

Glad its just some feathers & no one was injured.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Camelotshadow, yes, I did put in a night light just after this happened. I am wondering if in wild birds there is a build in natural way that they let go of their tail feathers when they are severely frightened? Does anyone know?? Amazing thing that she just dropped them all!

I thought it was an intruder and went downstairs with my 38 in hand until I realized that I could not turn the siren off with the remote. It was a malfunction. Then I wanted to call 911 before that but I had left my cel phone somewhere and could not find it.

So it was awhile before I got back into the bird room to check. Red bellied parrots tend to get very frightened I have heard. I expected more physical damage and am so very glad that she can climb and eat and drink right now. She is very attached to me. This bird was adopted. She was mishandled by the previous owner who let a cat put its paw inside her cage every day!
Ah....some people.

Thanks Camelotshadow

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think it's possible that they just fall out from fright. My bird fell off his playstand one day and 3 wing feathers just came right out. I asked about it here on the forums and someone here, I believe it was @Mizzely , said they do that as a protective mechanism incase of danger.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
they do that when they are scared. Rocky (RIP) did it shortly after he got sick with cancer. he was frighten by thunder storm, lost all of tail feathers on one side of his tail. Sweet Pea had bad night fright from a police car sitting in our complex yard all night with it's lights flashing all night long. she lost a bunch of wing feathers. I finally put her cage in the bathroom for the night.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
A protective mechanism! Yes, sounds right. Thanks! It really shocked me not to mention my poor bird. She is still very quiet and seems to need me to sit close to her cage.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Good idea with putting her cage in the bathroom! Thanks for your advice.

We will need to test our system soon and get it working. This frightens me. It is so cold out and I have no place to put her to keep this from happening again. I think that I will roll her smaller cage (sleeping cage) into the master bedroom and turn on the TV. I will put a big blanket folded up in the bottom of the cage and remove anything she might hurt herself upon. I would hold her if she were a cuddly type bird but she is not.

I might need stitches from the bite she gave me when I had to examine her. I did not think she would do this but she was scared. She depends on me for comfort though. Fireworks drive her nuts.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
just make sure that the bird is getting at least 10- 12 of sleep at night and some extra protein to help those new feathers grow back again. try some type of white noise as calming effect for the birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, protective measure! For example, if a cat caught her tail, all she'd have to do is release some in order to escape. She may have gotten some feathers caught in the cage somewhere while she was thrashing around and it triggered the response.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm sorry your little girl got so scared. Aw, that picture!:heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Aw, I'm sorry that happened! Sending good thoughts and hugs your way!
:hug8:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is why I never allowed my birds to sleep in a dark room covered.
When they crash in panic into the bars they have no idea of where they are and releasing their feathers. If they can see this will never happen.
Give the bird silent and calm for at least 24 H. And as @rocky'smom mention, extra protein to grow her feathers back is very important now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When a cat or dog goes to the vet they usually shed large amounts of fur. My vet said this is related to the flight or fight fear response. The fur loss makes they lighter so they can run fast. I could be the same with birds, feather loss makes them lighter. Now this is just a guess only.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Yes, they can release those feathers in cases of fear like that for self-preservation

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Aww poor girl! I've heard of them releasing the tail feathers usually if caught to get away from danger. I hadn't heard the same for flight feathers but it could be the same idea.
I don't like the idea of them being in total darkness as they do get up in the night. I cover the window with blinds and a dark curtain and they have 2 nightlights in case 1 burns out. I don't cover cages.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Good idea with putting her cage in the bathroom! Thanks for your advice.

We will need to test our system soon and get it working. This frightens me. It is so cold out and I have no place to put her to keep this from happening again. I think that I will roll her smaller cage (sleeping cage) into the master bedroom and turn on the TV. I will put a big blanket folded up in the bottom of the cage and remove anything she might hurt herself upon. I would hold her if she were a cuddly type bird but she is not.

I might need stitches from the bite she gave me when I had to examine her. I did not think she would do this but she was scared. She depends on me for comfort though. Fireworks drive her nuts.

To test the alarm again, could you....... put her in her travel cage and have someone take her for a ride in the warm car? Get her out of the area?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I went into my birdroom at work one morning to find Sakie lost half her tail, Maui lost half a wing, Volar lost a few flights and Kailua fell but lost nothing dropped.

Camera showed some deer running around outside in the middle of the night. :hug5:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I went into my birdroom at work one morning to find Sakie lost half her tail, Maui lost half a wing, Volar lost a few flights and Kailua fell but lost nothing dropped.

Camera showed some deer running around outside in the middle of the night. :hug5:

Awww, poor babies! :(

I think people used to think we babied our animals when I had the alpaca & llama farm as we would bring them in at night and keep them in on cold winter days, put coats on some that needed it, and bring them in on rainy days. One rainy day we didn't and 2 young boys in a far corner field freaked out and ran into the gate and one punctured his eye. I couldn't find any wire sticking out. His eye healed luckily. The vet thought he would lose it but being home gave me the opportunity to treat it several times a day with eye ointment. It just confirmed that we were doing it right bringing them in.