• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-safe toasters?

lasersquid

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone! I've been toaster-less since getting my little cockatiel four years ago, and I've really been craving some toast with marmalade lately. I'm looking for a bird-safe toaster, but the only threads I can find are on toaster ovens, which are not quite what I'm looking for. Can anyone post the model numbers of their own toasters that are confirmed to be safe for birds?

Thanks!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I can honestly say I did not know making toast would be a hazard for my bird. What exactly are the dangers? We don't do it very much, but will use the toaster on occasion.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
the problem with toaster ovens is that many have teflon/PTFE on them, which at high heats can release fumes that kill birds.
I'm not aware that many traditional, slotted bread toasters have teflon . I would read carefully and see if anything says something about "nonstick" or "easy clean", and look inside to be sure it doesn't look like teflon inside.
Then, DEFINITELY take the toaster outside, crank it up as high as it will go and run thru a few (empty) cycles. There usually is some smell at first, run till it's gone.

How great of you to go without toast for 4 years all for your little guy! A lot of people's birds love a small piece of toast with red palm oil or peanut butter on.
You should both have some toast together and celebrate.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Toaster oven could be an issue? :eek: I didn't think of that! :eek:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes - I've been making toast without even thinking about that issue!

When I buy something new I've been looking for items that say no PTFE or PFOA in them. I found a belgian waffle maker made by Oster that was safe. Target sold it and it was carried on Amazon. I did plug it in for the first time outside (smelled awful) and ran the first batch of waffle mix through it outside.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unreal! I can't believe that we can't google this easily but I'm getting the feed back of the toaster ovens also. The next time I'm in a department store - I'm going to check out the boxes of toasters.

You can also try dropping an e-mail to the companies that make these products & ask if there is PTFE or PFOA in their toasters.

Budgie mommy

Checking out the neighborhood
Just got off the phone with Cuisinart's corporate customer service and the toaster I'm interested in CPT-122 (compact, 2-slice) is free of PTFE and PFOA.

I joined this forum just to post this because I spent hours trying to find this information!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just got off the phone with Cuisinart's corporate customer service and the toaster I'm interested in CPT-122 (compact, 2-slice) is free of PTFE and PFOA.

I joined this forum just to post this because I spent hours trying to find this information!
Thank you! !!!

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Following ;)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Didn't think toasters have it but knew some toaster ovens did. Not sure if its the trays or walls.
They put that darn Teflon on anything. Glad the Cuisinart is free of it.

I don't have a toaster anymore & don't use my toaster oven. No toast here. I will use a cast iron pan & some good ole olive oil or butter.
That's as close to toast as I get.