• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe personal care products?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ive been looking for alternative soaps and deodorants that are safer for my bird to be around. Ben loves to sit in my hair and nibble on it so I want to make sure I'm using safe shampoo. Right now I'm using head and shoulders which I'm sure isn't good. I bought some natural/ hand made deodorants from etsy but it does list essential oils/ perfumes as ingredients so I'm thinking they're probably not the best either.

What do you guys use?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How funny to find this thread! Just this week my curly-haired husband announced that he wanted to grow his hair out a bit, but didn't know what products he could use. I asked him if Luv Bug spent much time in his hair & he said, "Yeah, even more since it's started getting longer."
He even wore my headband around the house for a bit because he doesn't want to wear products he's unsure of. :rofl: I shouldn't laugh because he's only thinking of Bug's health, but he looked like a puffball!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What do you guys use?
We're (until now) pretty low maintenance folks. We both use a 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders, but I figure as long as you rinse it all out it should be safe. And we use whichever deodorants do the job without being heavily scented. Those make even us humans gag. :wtf: He uses Degree & I use Dove.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We're (until now) pretty low maintenance folks. We both use a 2-in-1 Head and Shoulders, but I figure as long as you rinse it all out it should be safe. And we use whichever deodorants do the job without being heavily scented. Those make even us humans gag. :wtf: He uses Degree & I use Dove.
Yeah I need a pretty heavy duty deodorant for work. Saving lives will make you sweat a lot ya know lol I'm a huge tomboy so I'm really not into this type of stuff I just want something that's safe and effective.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I figure we have to venture out into public, so a good deodorant is a must, but there's no reason it should rival a perfume or cologne! :confused:
Plus thankfully the fids don't go near our underarms.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Shampoo wise, if you rinse it well it should be fine, but you can look for more natural shampoos, and sulfate free ones. I currently use a shampoo from Husk Shampoo and haven't had any issues and they love playing in my hair. I also have a lot of sensitivities myself, so anything I use is going to be more gentle. Deodorant wise, I'm not really sure, since I never thought about it. I personally go between Degree and Dove, but they also aren't always up in my armpits either haha. There are a few natural brands that have a little more punch at Walmart and Target, we get one for my daughter to avoid the aluminum in most deodorants.

Last edited: