• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird safe odor neutralizer??

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
Hi all,

I just moved into a new apartment and I can't seem to get rid of the smell of whatever my hardwood floors were cleaned or polished or refinished with before we moved in. That being said, I refuse to bring my bird here until I manage to eliminate the odor.

Anyone have any suggestions of a bird safe odor eliminator or neutralizer? Opening the windows is not seeming to work.

Thanks!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think the best way is to clean them. Try with green soap made of pine needles oil. (I don't know the right name for it in English)
It's a 100% nature product and safe for our birds, and it's good for the environment and it smells good.
That is the only thing I use when I clean my wooden floors.

This is what it looks like in Sweden.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I don't think it's that simple. The finish on the floor is likely gassing off VOCs, and will probably continue to do so for weeks. Keep airing it out. Put fans in all your windows.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Murphey's Wood Soap @Eloy

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think it's that simple.
Have you tried using that Pine needle green soap? It not only clean it also conserve the wood. It will work if you clean it several times. And you also can make a layer if you use only soap and let it dry for some hours. After that polish. That is a natural product, can't compare to any other products that often only contain vegetable oil.
Great article. :)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I agree that the finish is still out-gassing and needs to be well-ventilated until it's completely cured. A fan may help, but it will still take time. I'd try to keep the birds in another room if possible. Before you actually clean the floors though, you need to know what kind of finish is on them, or you'll damage the finish. If it's polyurethane, you can use anything on them, even water. But if it's a water-based finish (like that on Bellawood products), then you have to use something that's not acidic (such as vinegar) and not water-based. There are some safe soy-based products that work well and are bird safe.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Have you tried using that Pine needle green soap? It not only clean it also conserve the wood. It will work if you clean it several times. And you also can make a layer if you use only soap and let it dry for some hours. After that polish. That is a natural product, can't compare to any other products that often only contain vegetable oil.
I don't have wood floors :p It sounds like good stuff, though.

Jmelyn210

Moving in
Real Name
Jaime
Thanks for all your replies. We have been keeping our apartment very warm to try to bake out the residual odors. We have also put bowls of baking soda around the rooms to try to absorb the fumes. So far it seems as though the smell is slowly dissipating!