• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Cookware

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Hi Everyone!

Recently I have gotten into cooking. So far everything is going well (or as well as it can be- I am in the kitchen:laugh:) One problem I keep running into is my lack of pans and cookware. I keep using the same medium/large skillet and large sauce pot, because they are Stainless Steel. We do have a bunch of cookware, just it's non-stick and I WILL NEVER TOUCH IT:mad:

So, what cookware do you guys use that is bird-safe (meaning fumes wise, and safe for them to eat things cooked in it)?

I'm talking skillets, pots, pans, bakeware, etc. :)

Thank you!!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been experimenting with various brands of ceramic non-stick cookware lately (PTFE- and PFOA-free). I've yet to find a ceramic pan that doesn't warp or become sticky within a month. If you can find a ceramic-coated non-stick pan that is THICK and has a THICK ceramic coating, that will be your best bet. A lot of members seem to do well with the Walmart ones -- just not my mother because she does some serious cooking lol.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Thank you so much @JosienBB . I was looking at the ceramic pans, but I was worried because I had heard stories about the coating coming off or warping. One thing I keep seeing in a lot of stores is cast iron and stoneware. Does anyone know if these options are safe. I do actually have large cooking stone I forgot about until now, would this be safe?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Beside stainless steel I cook with glass, mostly for bakingl. I hated how teflon peeled in the early years so just never bought any. There are tricks on line that can help you with cooking with SS. Here is one. Make fluffy scrambled eggs. Most people put the heat up too hi. Have heat a little lower and with a spatula gradually pull away the cooked parts. With the melted butter (or olive oil) you have some might tasty and fluffy eggs.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Beside stainless steel I cook with glass, mostly for bakingl. I hated how teflon peeled in the early years so just never bought any. There are tricks on line that can help you with cooking with SS. Here is one. Make fluffy scrambled eggs. Most people put the heat up too hi. Have heat a little lower and with a spatula gradually pull away the cooked parts. With the melted butter (or olive oil) you have some might tasty and fluffy eggs.
That is one thing I cannot stand, when people turn the pan up too high and give scrambled eggs those crispy brown blotches... ewww...:wtf:

We do have some glass casseroles, I should dig them out. :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Things I cook in glass.....meat loaf, bread, cakes, casseroles, lasagna etc.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
stainless steel or cast iron in my only things that i can recommend

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The secret is to lower the heat. You don't need high heat to cook anything - I use SS, cast iron and ceramic coated.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I use stainless steel for my everyday cookware - pots/saucepans, skillet, saute pan, etc.
Cast iron for "sticky" stuff like eggs or for grilling, searing meats
Carbon steel wok for stir frying
Uncoated aluminum cookie sheets, cake pans etc.
CorningWare casserole dishes, soup dishes, etc.

:)

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Thank you guys for all the replies.:hug8:
I actually ended up buying a cast iron pan last night at the store. It is going to be my new egg pan. :) I am also now looking into glass dishes and those big cast iron dutch ovens.

Im all excited to get cooking.:D:D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We do have a bunch of cookware, just it's non-stick and I WILL NEVER TOUCH IT:mad:
Just because it's non-stick doesn't mean it contains PTFE. PTFE, often called "Teflon", is the dangerous chemical. It's not just Teflon that's dangerous though.... other cookware that may contain PTFE include T-Fal, Silverstone, Flura, Excalibur, Supra, Xylon, Greblon, Resistal, Duracote, Autograph and Scanpan.

However, pans such as ceramic coated, hard anodized aluminum, and a well seasons cast iron can also be non-stick. Caution still needs to be taken to ensure that they are indeed PTFE-free.

So you may want to check whether or not your non-stick pans actually do contain PTFE or not. If they don't, you can use them! If they do contain PTFE or you aren't sure, toss and replace!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I believe PFOA is bad too so make sure that isn't in your pans.

ZoeyFredrik

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Just because it's non-stick doesn't mean it contains PTFE. PTFE, often called "Teflon", is the dangerous chemical. It's not just Teflon that's dangerous though.... other cookware that may contain PTFE include T-Fal, Silverstone, Flura, Excalibur, Supra, Xylon, Greblon, Resistal, Duracote, Autograph and Scanpan.

However, pans such as ceramic coated, hard anodized aluminum, and a well seasons cast iron can also be non-stick. Caution still needs to be taken to ensure that they are indeed PTFE-free.

So you may want to check whether or not your non-stick pans actually do contain PTFE or not. If they don't, you can use them! If they do contain PTFE or you aren't sure, toss and replace!
Since many of the dishes I have belonged to my Mom and Grandmother, I am not sure what they are made of since they are pretty old. Since they are so old, I think it could increase the chance of something bad happening as well (maybe? Idk). I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

I am also really liking this cast iron pan. It is heavy, but so far cleaning and cooking nicely. :D

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I like my corning ware

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I bought this set and have been using it for one week now and so far I am very impressed. I like that the weight in my hand is not flimsy and how it heats evenly. I did have to get used to how slow it heats up in the beginning but I'm still getting to know the pan. I also love the safety dividers included to help avoid scratches when stored. We also have SS and cast iron but these are now my favorite.

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I have ceramic pots, a griddle, and pans. I have had them for 6 months and like them. No warping, stickiness, etc.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
is this one okay? it's ceramic 14742425424421650515513.jpg sorry it's blurry
I feel like I've awoken a dead thread :hehe:

Rolanda

That's Okay... All Zombies are good Zombies!:hehe:
There's good information here. I need new pans and have been waffling on what to buy. My son bought a really GOOD set of German Cast Iron pots & pans and spent about $500 for 3 items. Mom can't afford that! So I'm trying to find a cheaper option that is safe for my Beaksey too.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
is this one okay? it's ceramic View attachment 232907 sorry it's blurry
I feel like I've awoken a dead thread :hehe:
Yep that's fine. It is Corningare's corn flower series. It is made of the same material used on the nose cone of a space ship. Quite the most popular in the 60s and 70s. Many antique store sell them for obnoxiously high prices. I have 6 or 8 pieces from wedding gifts for my first wedding.