• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Carpet Cleaning

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We finally found a house and got everyone moved in! Due to timing with the closing and time off of work we weren't able to clean the carpets before the birds got here, so I am trying to figure out some bird safe carpet cleaning. Thankfully the entire downstairs and bird room are laminate so no carpet to worry about down there. The only carpet is on the stairs and upstairs in the bedrooms and hallway; the stairs are adjacent to the bird room though.

We were looking at renting one of those carpet scrubbers but all the cleaning products that we've found for them have been heavily scented and not something I'd like to use. Are there any alternative cleaners to use in those machines, or any alternatives to the machines themselves?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Actually, I hate those carpet cleaning products. They all seem to leave a residue. I just use my carpet cleaner with F10 or plan hot water - in fact several of us on this forum do this . That does a better job and the carpets stay cleaner without residue to catch more dirt.

If you don't have F10 (you should have it if you have birds) - go here Bird Safe Cleaning| Non-Toxic Disinfectant| F10 - FREE Shipping to get it or Amazon has it. I like Gary's store because he is so super fast shipping and no shipping cost.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I didn't even think of using F10, that's a great idea. I first bought it I think after your recommendation about a year or so ago? Use it all the time and recommend it in the rescues bird care classes. Have you used one of those rental carpet cleaners with it?

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I will definitely be using the F10 then instead of the nasty chemical cleaners. My one concern is since this is a rental machine there might be leftover residue from past uses. I think I'll try and clean out the machine first and see how it smells and go from there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No - I bought my own carpet cleaner a couple of years ago when they were on a smokin' sale. When I used the rental ones was when I found out that although the stuff was bird safe (I called the manufacturer) it just didn't clean well enough and left a residue. I don't see any reason you couldn't use the F10 in a rental machine.

Like Sarah, I use F10 for everything. It was a big part of helping cure Hank of a MRSA infection.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
When I haven't had F10, and had to use carpet cleaning solution, I rinse with hot water and vinegar. In the machine.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Ohhh, I didn't even think to use f10 in my cleaner. I know what i'm doing today!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just used plain hot water and was surprised how much dirt pulled up.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I own a Hoover carpet cleaner and use the Nature's Miracle Carpet Cleaner through it.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I also bought my own Hoover carpet cleaner, just hated how dirty those rentals were with other people's dirt.
The way I've been using it is using Biokleen carpet cleaner I bought on Amazon. It was recommended by someone here on AA years ago, and is citrus based and safe, doesn't smell bad at all.
I use it at a much diluted rate from the instructions with hot water in the Hoover.
Then I have a spray bottle with biokleen mixed at the recommended rate that I use to pretreat the dirty spots.
I am going to try using F10 in the Hoover, with biokleen as my spot treatment..... didn't ever occur to me.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I have used some vwhite inegar in the water. Never had F10 back when I was doing it.

Now I would add some f10 but don;t think the carpets are too germy but I do wear my shoes inside at times & don;t always wipe them with bacterial wipe when I come in.

I just use a sponge & rub the carpet while on my knees in needed areas. Have not had the strength to do a big job when I was ill.

Ho have a Hoover steam vac & some other one think a dirt devil.

Also have a steam machine & guess could just steam the carpet to freshen it.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
We didn't rent the machine today but probably will next weekend. I'm actually looking forward to getting the carpets cleaned up. It's something we wanted to do before we moved in but the timing just didn't work out. I think I will be going with the F10 mixture for the cleaning solution. I do hesitate using a rental as you never know how someone else might have used it/failed to clean it properly, etc, but its the best option for right now I think. I will have to keep my eyes out for any good sales to get my own.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Hankmacaw @Macawnutz how much F10 do you add to the tank of water? I just got a Hoover carpet cleaner as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just guess and add 10ml.

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
I've been using f10 in my crosswave (I think that's what i have) and my floors feel so much cleaner, it's really nice. Carpets, wood floor, tile, all of it.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Still haven't gotten around to picking up that carpet cleaner but will definitely be using F10. Can't wait to clean these carpets, if only a weekend would open up haha.