• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Air Purifier

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Can anyone tell me if a Holmes Air Purifier Ionizer is safe for use around birds? I purchased one at a good price but do not want to risk using it if it isn't safe for my birds.Thank you for any answers any one can give!

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Is it a true HEPA filter machine. Many people say that ionizers aren't safe for birds or people - many say it is fine.
What model Holmes is it.

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Hankmacaw Thank you for your quick reply. I dont know if it is a true HEPA filter machine? The model number is HAP 220

Cleo&Kiko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allisha
Do you know the exact model? I think it's personally fine, as long as you can shut off the ionization option. I have one, and it has an ionizer, but it has to be turned on, which I don't do. The manuals on the papers they give you even warn you not to have the ionizer with birds around.

Cleo&Kiko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allisha
Look fine to me, but just make sure the ionizer stays off. It's a large build up of those ions which is bad. It isn't an automatically harmful.

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Cleo&Kiko Thank you ! It does have the option to turn the ionizer off.So, as long as the ionizer is shut off, it is perfectly safe to use around my birds? I just want to make sure first before I do use it. We have many birds.all rescues living in out home and I want to make sure that they will be safe

Cleo&Kiko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allisha
Yep! Has it been used at all yet, even away from the birds? If not, I would keep it in one of the larger rooms, and keep it running for 24 hours or so. Maybe a room that your parrots don't really use? I do this for any of my new products just in case there is any 'residue' on there that may cause a smell. And as long as it is kept off, the ionizer can do no harm!

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Thank you again cleo&Kiki I will run it upstairs in my bedroom for 24 hours first All my birds are downstairs.Thank you so much again!!! :hug8:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
ALDI sold some the other week with HEPA filter and you can turn the ionizer off . I bought a few of them and placed them in all bird areas.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you call Holmes they will tell you NOT to use the ionizer in any area near your birds. I have Holmes Air purifiers, right beside my cages and another running in the bedroom. I will suggest using the Total air filters only or the HEPA filter. do not buy the smoke grabber or the odor grabber because it contains chemicals in the filters. you will need to change the Total Filters every 3 months not every 4 months as they recommend. I found this out thru trail and error.

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
Pipsqueak ...ALDI 'S had some? I will hav eto check the ALDI's out here and see if they still have some.Thank you!

1959CAT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cheryl
rocky'smom Thanks for the heads up about the filters! Will pick up some new filters tomorrow Not sure which filter came with the purifier I have

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love our TrueHEPAs from Holmes. Have been going strong for almost 5 years now. Helped a lot with Jingo's allergies!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
rocky'smom Thanks for the heads up about the filters! Will pick up some new filters tomorrow Not sure which filter came with the purifier I have
they come with Total AER 1's also you may want to buy extra pre filters too.

tracy baker

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracy Baker
Hi

It is not safe to use air purifier around birds. But when the air quality is too less, it is must to use an air purifier. As we don't have other options.

I am also a parrot lover. But if the dander causes some allergies, you should prefer using an air purifier. There are other air filtration methods such as ionic, UV-C light, activated carbon, etc. But these cannot help in removing the dander.

It is also important to note if air purifier has an air ionizer, you have the option to turn it off.

There are many things you should take care of when you buy an air purifier especially when there are birds around.

1) In order to effectively remove bird dust, use HEPA filters.

2) Also, ensure that the system is safe for birds.

I recommend you to have an air purification system at your home which has HEPA filter. So that, it will provide better and clean environment. And everyone could be safe. Hope this information helped you. Thank you.