• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Prefers Boyfriend

Andy191

Moving in
I got my conure about 4/5 months ago as a baby. I got him because I used to have one and I really liked that of bird. Anyway, we brought him home and he/she loved me. Would snuggle in my hair and always come to me. Then like two or three months ago it started attacking my mouth but never my boyfriend. I feed the bird and am home with it all day, give it attention. But it's obviously bonded with him and tolerates me. I can hold him but I can't turn my face towards him or he'll attack. If my boyfriend is close to me he will always try to get to him.
I know the bird is a lifelong commitment and I have no plans to get rid of it or anything, it's just hugely disappointing. I wanted a companion and friend and I'm stuck with a pet thats still my responsibility but I always have to be cautious around. Is there a way to change this or do I need to just accept it?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
There are no guarantees. I'd get the bird off your shoulder or anywhere near your face if its attacking your face though. Shoulders are a privilege and only for well behaved birds. Just keep working the the bird, try socializing him with other people as well.

Andy191

Moving in
There are no guarantees. I'd get the bird off your shoulder or anywhere near your face if its attacking your face though. Shoulders are a privilege and only for well behaved birds. Just keep working the the bird, try socializing him with other people as well.
I'm having trouble keeping him off my shoulder because he climns stubbornly right up my arm. If I stop him, he'll just bite my fingers. I will hold him for a bit usually and then my bf has to come and take him off me. I could give him no attention if he wants to bite me but that's just more distance between him and I and more reason for him to like my bf :/

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
If you are giving him attention when he is biting you, you are reinforcing the biting. If my bird was biting me, i would completely ignore him. Edited: I would also be prepared for him to bite. Watch the body lang. have something readily available like a toy or something to distract him before the bite. If he goes for it, praise him.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm having trouble keeping him off my shoulder because he climns stubbornly right up my arm.
Then don't allow him on you at all. Always avoid a bite, that is a big rule when it comes to parrots.
Is there a way to change this or do I need to just accept it?
Do you really love your BF? Is letting him go an option? (I'm only kidding :D )
If can be better, your parrots is still so young. Just give him love but hold a distance to him and avoid all bites.
Have you consider getting a second one? If they are allowed to bond to another bird they are much easier to handle and the fight over your BF will disappear.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
It will always depend on the bird, but if it makes you feel better... I have 4, there are times they prefer my husband and times they prefer me. Give it time, don't loose hope! Just concentrate on your relationship and try to keep your bonding time when your boyfriend isn't around.