• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird likes to walk and play with a stuffed penguin

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That´s cute.❤

I believe that in the PFL world, it is rare to see two males feed one another. I haven´t had any first hand experience with that though.
PFL?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Nm, got it hahaha. Yeah Caspar usually feeds Emrys but every so often I'll see Emrys feeding Caspar. And their grooming each other, so darn cute!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
By issues I mean psychological where in some cases a mirror can help. Birds can get depressed, a mirror could help but I would still seek other options before introducing a mirror.

I would never suggest a mirror to any bird owner. If you do have a mirror, I would observe them and see how/if they are interacting with it and if they are expressing too much interest then I would remove it. There is just no need for them and can cause behavioral problems down the road like cage aggression or an unhealthy attachment to the mirror. This is not the case for all birds but why risk it?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Aoife had a mirror when she was young, but once she went into puberty I took it away. She didn't seem to be affected by it, but I didn't want anything to encourage her to be hormonal. Her favorite toy has small mirrors on it (Brian, it's her "favorite") and I've put stickers on it just in case but she always manages to peel them off!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Aoife had a mirror when she was young, but once she went into puberty I took it away. She didn't seem to be affected by it, but I didn't want anything to encourage her to be hormonal. Her favorite toy has small mirrors on it (Brian, it's her "favorite") and I've put stickers on it just in case but she always manages to peel them off!
Maybe she likes an "audience" when she is relieving herself...:shrug: If you have other enrichment toys that the bird is interested in and has plenty of outside time then the mirror may not be much of an issue. But then you have owners who have nothing in a cage except a bell and a mirror, odds are the bird is going to bond with that mirror.

Norm Ustitz

Meeting neighbors
Hello @Zara and others.
The regurgitation continues, and we will one day accept it.
Where can I find a definitive list of vegetables and fruits that a lovebird can eat? We know that they can't touch avocados and tomatoes. But are cucumbers safe, for example? He loves red pepper seeds too.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Cucumbers are safe, you can search the internet for safe vegetables/fruit for hookbills here are just a few that are safe. There are more but these are just a few vegetables off the top of my head while I am at work lol.

Beet roots, carrots, Endive, mustard greens, beet and turnip greens, dandelion greens, Swiss chard, kale, green beans, peppers (both green, red, yellow and hot), Cauliflower and broccoli, snow peas, snap peas.