• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird is aggressive to my brother only

robin&skye

Moving in
Real Name
Jasleen
My 6 year old green cheeked conure has lately been attacking my brother a lot. This has become a recent problem. Before, he used to take interest in my brother but that was all. Now, when he hears my brothers door open, he flies upstairs and attacks him. Or even when he is going back to his room. I have found that he only attacks within this setting. For more information, my brother is the only person in our household that does not interact with my bird Robin and the only one who is being attacked like this.

I am not sure what to do to fix this issue and would appreciate any help!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did he ever hang out with your brother? You said he used to "take interest" in him.

robin&skye

Moving in
Real Name
Jasleen
I meant he would kind of follow my brother around without attacking him.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

robin&skye

Moving in
Real Name
Jasleen
I don’t think he looks any different than usual. The only thing is, he is not home very often. He comes back every other week from university for a weekend. But this is not really a new arrangement yet for some reason the attacking has become a common occurrence recently.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Part of it could be spring hormones. Maybe he sees your brother as an intruder and is trying to protect his flock. Is your brother willing to do something like sit with him for a little while when he's in his cage and give him some of his favorite treats? Maybe something he only gets when your brother comes home?

robin&skye

Moving in
Real Name
Jasleen
Part of it could be spring hormones. Maybe he sees your brother as an intruder and is trying to protect his flock. Is your brother willing to do something like sit with him for a little while when he's in his cage and give him some of his favorite treats? Maybe something he only gets when your brother comes home?
I don’t think my brother is open to interacting with him at all so that is why I am unsure on what to do. My parents have resulted in putting him in his cage whenever my brother comes down which is just stressing out my bird further. I am just really lost on how to fix this situation.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Macawnutz I know you're slammed with work but any thoughts?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is your brother gentle and soft spoken with him? Sometimes you children make loud noises and rapid hand movements with birds.

robin&skye

Moving in
Real Name
Jasleen
Is your brother gentle and soft spoken with him? Sometimes you children make loud noises and rapid hand movements with birds.
My brother doesn’t really interact with him unless my bird attacks him which results in him yelling. Also my brother is not a child and is an adult. He does not provoke my bird in any way as it only happens when he opens his bedroom door or goes upstairs to go back in.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I agree with Sunny's mom, part of this is likely your brother doesn't feel like part of the flock .

I'm.not sure if there are family tensions going on as well , but if so birds pick up on that.

Whatever the situation, you can try postive association. Be upstairs at your brother's door with your green cheek in a calm good mood . And have your brother come up the stairs to you . While you happy chat sbd give treats. You might practice this before you have your brother come up , by walking him up there several random times and give treats.. hsve your brother pause and chat with h you and then go into his room and you and bird walk away . Repeat several times I er several days.
Do the opposite as well , be waiting outside his door and have him come out chat and walk down the stairs and you follow after a moment.. repeat a few times and see if you can reset the situation.

Talk with your brother, and ask if he is willing to give this a go , so you can hopefully make things more pleasant for him and you all..this takes minimum effort in his part and he does not have to interact with the bird.

But better would be to also re introduce bird to your brother. Having the bird caged and relaxed , and walking up with your brother. Saying hi to your bird giving treat, put a hand on your brother and explain he bnt brother , " name " and have brother say hi birds name chit chst and if brityer would also give treat or use treat only dish to pop a treat in