• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird In Poor Condition

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
Hey everyone, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I just chose here... There is a pet shop near where I live and they have an Alexandrine for sale. He/she is missing their whole tail. Well, there's one tail feather left, but it looks like it's about to fall out. The cage is definitely too small for them. I know pet shops have a nasty wrap, and it's for reasons they put on themselves. I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do? I mean, the last few times I've been down there, that poor bird has been there. They continue to lower the price, but nobody seems to want it. I go there every so often just to see how the birds are. Unfortunately some of them end up looking like this one. I'm not sure if it's from plucking or if he/she just keeps hitting it too much. But either way, it's wrong. I wish there was something I could do. I'm not really sure what to do. It breaks my heart to see him/her in such conditions. Any suggestions?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's probably just from the tail hitting the sides of the cage. They aren't a species prone to plucking and they have super long tails for their size which makes damage on cage bars likely.
You could try telling the shop owner that if they provide a larger cage, he will be more active and interesting to buyers, and will probably regrow the long, impressive tail after the molt, and will be more likely to sell.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Maybe this will help you:
What to do?
Nothing from this source is reliable. They distort truths in order to manipulate the public. If they had their way your pets would be taken away from you so that they wouldn't be "enslaved" by you any longer.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can stop going to that store and whatever you do, DO NOT spend your money there for anything.

If you're really courageous and confident you can make up a sign and protest in front of the store so that no one else spends their money there either. No money. That shop will dry up and blow away.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Nothing from this source is reliable. They distort truths in order to manipulate the public. If they had their way your pets would be taken away from you so that they wouldn't be "enslaved" by you any longer.
That's what happens when we strive to see and understand the much bigger picture. Doing the right thing isn't always popular.

All truth passes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That's what happens when we strive to see and understand the much bigger picture. Doing the right thing isn't always popular.
The difference here is that peta and other animal rights organizations lie and spread misinformation in order to gain support. Truth doesn't enter into the equation when dealing with them. It's one thing to disagree with animals being kept as pets and "used" by humans, it's quite another to distort the truth in order to gain support. I would think that you would be able to see the difference.

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Are there any avian rescues in your area? I know that when Lucia was in such bad shape due to her breeder I got the bird rescue group I use to foster for involved and they, in turn, got other rescue groups involved and we got that bad breeder shut down. Groups of people united in one cause can do a LOT so try to reach out to avian vets, rescue groups and even other bird lovers in your area. Someone might know how to get something done and pressure the shop into providing better care, or even into shutting down if the ruckus gets big enough and they refuse to change.

(In case you're wondering, I still got Lucia because even the pet shop owner who had her mostly took her just to get her away from that awful breeder in hopes someone who could take proper care of her took her in or anything better than what her breeder did. He felt as bad for her as I did, thus why I went after the breeder himself and not the shop.)

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
Nothing from this source is reliable. They distort truths in order to manipulate the public. If they had their way your pets would be taken away from you so that they wouldn't be "enslaved" by you any longer
Putting aside their agenda, is there anything you could do differently from what was suggested on the site? Meaning, there is not too many actionable options are there?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Putting aside their agenda, is there anything you could do differently from what was suggested on the site? Meaning, there is not too many actionable options are there?
If there is neglect you can alert the authorities, but generally if the bird is being provided food, water, and shelter and is not being denied veterinary care when it is ill then that's as far as it goes. You can try to ask the shop staff and owner about the bird and express concerns about the conditions as well. I'm not defending them, nor do I think it's right that any creature should go through this. I don't spend money in stores that sell animals and I generally don't visit them either.

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
If there is neglect you can alert the authorities, but generally if the bird is being provided food, water, and shelter and is not being denied veterinary care when it is ill then that's as far as it goes. You can try to ask the shop staff and owner about the bird and express concerns about the conditions as well. I'm not defending them, nor do I think it's right that any creature should go through this. I don't spend money in stores that sell animals and I generally don't visit them either.
Great, so worded differently, but your options are very similar to the options provided on the page I linked to which you said "Nothing from this source is reliable."
Precisely your above quote and the section from the link titled "What you can do".
So I was just wondering if something else could be done differently but it sounds like you and the page agree on most of the actionable items.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Buy He / Her

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Great, so worded differently, but your options are very similar to the options provided on the page I linked to which you said "Nothing from this source is reliable."
Precisely your above quote and the section from the link titled "What you can do".
So I was just wondering if something else could be done differently but it sounds like you and the page agree on most of the actionable items.
I suppose better wording would have been "use extreme caution". Seems contradictory but I stand by what I said.

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
I know it's sad but when you buy a sick bird from a pet store, that bird will just get replaced with another sick bird from the same supplier. The only way to break the cycle is to show that there is no demand for that animal by choosing not to purchase them.

This is why I shop at supply stores that don't sell animals because I know if I see an ill animal I will feel guilty for not helping :(

XstatyK

Walking the driveway
I suppose better wording would have been "use extreme caution". Seems contradictory but I stand by what I said.
Not at all, I agree with the actionable items you mentioned.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. So thank you all for your information. I may be going there today to check and see if the bird is still there and to make sure that they are okay. That is the only reason I go to that pet store. I do not make purchases there.

It's a small pet shop but they do sell other animals. They have chinchillas, rabbits, fish, etc... So far the only problem I've seen is with some of the birds. Their plan right now is to sell all of the smaller birds they have and get bigger birds, like Cockatoos, African Greys and Macaws. Which baffles me because those cages aren't nearly large enough and the room is way too small to hold more than a few decent sized cages.

There is a bird rescue I tried to contact quite a while ago. I never heard back from them, so I will look for another in the area. Most of them are pretty far away. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, pretty much.

I am currently doing my research on bird rescues. I would like to start one in this area because of reasons like this. It would be a non profit. Every cent would go to the rescued birds. It's going to be some time before it's up and running, but I'm hoping that in a few years it'll be running well. Birds are my passion, and I feel that since people have taken them out of the wild to have for pets, the least I can do is make sure they get the care they need.

Thank you all again for your suggestions. :)

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
There's always a need for more bird rescues. The ones out there so often tend to be overcrowded because there are so few. If you're able to get a rescue going I may not be able to offer help money wise but I can offer my services as an artist for donation campaigns and the like if it would be of any help. No charge of course. If it's to help birds I wouldn't ask for money, just for the birds to be happy and healthy.

Owned By Birds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sara
That is very kind of you to offer and I would gladly accept the help. One of the biggest hurdles will be finding and keeping consistent donations. I've done quite a bit of research so far, but my desire to help unwanted/abandoned birds is stronger than any negative that could potentially happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Whether it's what you offered, or even just input or suggestions. But like I said before, it will be some time before this gets up and running. I still have a lot of research to do.

I will let you know when I get things started. Thanks again for offering tour help. :)