• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird has no landing gear

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Poor Ernie. He came here 4 years ago very cage bound. We’ve gotten past all that and just recently hes begun to fly. I think it’s where I’ve worked with others on “fly to me”... he wants to so bad he cant’ stand it. I sit on a little stool near the cage but just out of his reach and ignore him and he actually has been brave enough to try it a couple times.

But he doesn’t know how to actually land on me. Which is fine, I’m close to the floor and he either skids to a stop or runs into me and I catch him as he tumbles down.

Lately though he flies further/faster and it’s getting to be a problem outside of the bird room because he has to crash in order to stop. Usually he hits a cabinet in the office. Twice he’s crashed into the front doors, which are frosted glass. WOW he is going fast. I am scared to death he will be hurt.

How do they learn to land properly?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have taken my birds in the bedroom for flying and landing skills. Usually they will land on the mattress a few times but you never know.