• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird foot injury?

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! Cecil ended up having a bit of an adventure on Thursday. It seems like his cage had the side door open, we're not sure how long it had been like that, and we're not sure how long he was out of his cage. But now, on Sunday, he seems to be limping and favoring one foot. He still walks and grips with it, but more lightly then before. We didn't notice him doing this before today.

Could it just be a bruise or something more serious? He was hopping around on his toys Friday and Saturday as well as chasing us up and down the couch. If we need to we can schedule a vet appointment, but I'm not sure if a little limping is warranted for an appointment if it's a bruise and only going to last a few days.

Thanks for your advice!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Better safe then sorry, schedule a vet appointment. JMHO

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Here he is hanging on the bars of his cage while I was trying to talk to him, it seems like physically it is ok, but I'll make an appointment with the vet for as soon as I can. Could this be a leg or hip sprain? What procedures do they do for that? He has had xrays for his beak before, and hopefully this won't need an x-ray.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope his foot/leg will get better soon!

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! His appointment is for Wednesday morning as his vet is doing surgeries and doesn't have much time. He was putting a bit more weight on it this morning but still limping and holding it up on his perches.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I hope sweet Cecil is okay. :)

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
By the time we took him to the vet he was no longer limping! But we got his nails trimmed and his beak ground down to smooth it out due to his original beak injury before we got him! He is doing wonderful! Thank you guys for your support.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wonderful news! :pinklol3: I'm very glad he's feeling better.