• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Feeding Chart

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I am making a chart for work (animal shelter) about the proper diet to feed the different species of birds we get in. Since birds do tend to stay with us awhile, we will also be ordering a few different sized bags of pellets to keep on hand to give us vs just seeds like they've had in the past.

I would like to have a) the ratio of seeds to pellets, b) the amount per day to give and c) any other requirements they should have (like grit, cuttlebone, specialize food, etc.).

If anyone could help me out, I and the shelter birds would love it! The most common birds we see are finches, budgies, cockatiels, conures, and macaws. Thanks!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad you are trying to give the shelter birds a healthy diet! Cockatiels should eat about 50% pellets and 50% seeds. They will eat all of the seeds first, so that is consumed amounts. In addition to this they should have plenty of fresh greens and veggies. Also, they can be given grains, oats, etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I would weigh what you are giving them and weigh it again at the end of the day. I also would look at what is on the tray that has been eaten and what was tossed overboard whole. I know for my 2 fabies, it's about 1 T of seed mix and 1 T of pellets daily. (T= tablespoon)