• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Feather Problems?

Meagan King

Meeting neighbors
When I first got my cockatiel Ophelia - who I’m pretty sure is a male at this point - she had broken off quite a few tail feathers from her time at the shop she stayed in. The cage was rather small so I’m assuming that was the cause. She’s now molted the mass majority of the broken ones out and her new, beautiful tail came in. However she’s broken a feather that JUST finished growing in; about a week ago it was a blood feather. There’s no blood in her cage whatsoever, and that part of then tail isn’t hollow at all, so I know she’ll be alright.

(You can see the broken feather at the bottom, and at the top of the picture is a blood feather growing in.)

I’m getting worried for her. I’ve tried giving her various foods to help give her the needed nutrients for better feather growth, hard boiled eggs etc. but she doesn’t seem the slightest bit interested. She did have a history of liver problems from her time in the shop, so I’m not sure if somehow because of her history it’s affecting her feather health?

She gets regular warm bird baths whenever she feels like it, but doesn’t seem to know how to get anything else besides her front wet!

I want the best life I can give my birds but she keeps rejecting the foods I try and give her, and I’m worried this next broken feather would be a blood feather.

Any insight on ways to coax her into eating better foods, or how to help the feather breakage problem would be greatly appreciated!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Have you tried feeding them in different ways? Two of my fids like chunky pieces they can hold with their feetsies and my black capped conure likes finely chopped up small pieces. My ggc doesn't care as long as it is edible xD! Also try eatting in front of her and making a big deal out of it. Food is always better when someone else is eating it lol.

Meagan King

Meeting neighbors
Have you tried feeding them in different ways? Two of my fids like chunky pieces they can hold with their feetsies and my black capped conure likes finely chopped up small pieces. My ggc doesn't care as long as it is edible xD! Also try earring in front of her and making a big deal out of it. Food is always better when someone else is eating it lol.
My other cockatiel won’t take his supplements unless he sees me “eating” the millet it’s covered in! Thank you for the advice! I’ll try serving it in different sizes

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I literally had to "eat" everything in front of Bean and now he walks around putting his beak on stuff and licking it going "mmmmmmm nom noms" and I'm like no stop it, its not food xD

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is her main diet like?

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
I literally had to "eat" everything in front of Bean and now he walks around putting his beak on stuff and licking it going "mmmmmmm nom noms" and I'm like no stop it, its not food xD
This is exactly what I had to do with my conure to get him to eat anything new. I just make it look/sound amazing and then all of a sudden he rushes over to get a taste of what I'm eating. Then it's his next favorite thing. LOL. Birds are picky just like toddlers, we have to keep them interested and makes things LOOK fun. I'm not sure if that will work for a tiel, but it might!