• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BIRD BLOOD IN STOOL

Should I consult a vet, or just give it a few days to see if anything changes...

• Consult a vet

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Give it time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Hey there to any one that may be reading this, which I really hope you are.. I need some help before consulting an avian vet.
I have a supposedly male bird, the type of bird is a cockatiel and he isn't your "normal" cockatiel in color. He is mainly grey, with a white face, and has a white strip on each of his wings. So let's get to the point, sorry to keep ya waiting.
Anyways, today I went to take a look at him, and I realized that he had a lot of blood in his stool. He has this latter and the blood was dried up, but it had dripped all the way to the bottom of the latter and had made two spots of blood on his paper for the liner of his cage. Obviously I was very scared and then I spotted another spot that he had went to the restroom, and that also had blood. But when I stuck my hand in his cage, he pooped on me and it was all watery. So I am not very sure if this is a good sign or not, but should we consult an avian vet or could anyone on here PLEASE help me. I am very anxious for my bird and I love him to death. But I don't want to take him to the vet if it means he needs surgery because I can't do that.
Any help will be greatly appreciated and I for sure don't want him to leave. I was doing some research as well and it said it could be a sign of melena?
Anyways, thank you so much for any help that you people can provide me with... please help!!!!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Blood in the stool is almost always very, very serious and your bird should see a vet immediately.

Is the blood red or dark brown/black? Has he shown any other symptoms? How old is he? Has he eaten anything that is red - berries, red pellets?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I would visit a vet right away, tonight if possible. Please let us know if you need help finding a vet, there are lots of resources on this forum that list vets.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can take him to the vet and find out what’s going on. Can you take a picture when he has a bloody dropping and post it?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What's he eating? Red coloured foods or fruits can turn the poop red.
If there's no red food I agree with the others and say vet ASAP.

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Hey there! Thank you all for the responses!!!
So it is the next day now of checking on his stool and he doesn’t have any red his stool anymore, but he does have green tint to his stool. I am not sure if that is a good sign or not now.
Another thing is that, the other day (a few days before this happened) he lost a blood feather by accident, and my parents had to get him out of his cage and put flour on it to get it to stop bleeding. I saw him grooming himself and my mom thinks that affected him and made him bleed. Then again he only had blood twice in his stool, and like i said earlier it has a green tint now which I hope means it’s a good sign.
He has only a few, very very small pellets but he never eats those i’m pretty sure. And we have tried giving him fruits but we stopped due to him morning eating them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would still consult a vet as blood in droppings obviously isn't normal. Sometimes dropping can appear red based on the food they've been eating- like if they eat red colored pellets but it doesn't sound like he at anything like that? Also, cockatiels normally don't eat fruit. Try giving him vegetables instead- and keep trying, it can take awhile. Things like broccoli, squash, different types of lettuce (not ice burg), snow peas, etc.

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Ok Yeah that makes sense with the food. I have a question though, what could the vet do for him if we took him there. I really want to take him, but then again if we take him there and they say that he needs surgery, we can’t do that sadly. So what could they do, if you know.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I wouldn't jump to the worst case scenario of needing surgery. I'd assume that if he needed a surgery to correct an intestine problem, he'd be dead by now since he didn't get to the vet. There are so many infections and bacterias that can hurt our birdies, and the vet could tell with the right tests, then prescribe the right medicine. Please take your bird to the vet! Do you need help finding a vet?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Usually GI bleeding is treatable by medications, as others have mentioned. But if it were some problem that required surgery or was otherwise untreatable, wouldn't you at least want to ensure that your bird didn't die a painful, prolonged death? A vet can help with that too.

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Yea I actually do need help finding an all bird vet. If there is one in my state. But my bird is not tame so we wouldn’t be able to give him the medicine. We can only handle him in the cage, he will sit on our hand for a few seconds. We are still working on getting him tame so I don’t know how that would work. But could you help me find a vet! Thank you so much for all the help! And I will be sure to tell my family about taking him there and giving him med.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet can help you with how to medicate an untamed bird. What state/general area are you in? That will help us recommend vets.

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Okay thank you so much!!!!
I don’t know if you realize how greatly I appreciate this!!
Cincinnati Ohio.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Avon:
Avon Animal and Bird Hospital Avon Animal & Bird Hospital | Veterinarian in Avon

37160 Detroit Road Avon, OH 44011 - Recommended by happy customer Pam Sweitzer

Cincinnati:
Dr. Peter Hill - PetCare Animal Hospital

8610 Blue Ash Rd. Cincinnati, Ohio 45242 - Tel. 513-793-3032 - Fax: 513-793-2409 - PetCareCincinnati.com

Columbus:
Dr. Donald L. Burton - Animal Care Unlimited

2665 Billingsley Rd., Columbus, OH 43235 - Tel. (614) 766-2317

Defiance:
Dr. Dan Vehlerah

St RT 66 South, Defiance, Ohio 43512 - Tel. (419) 782-7595

Kettering:
Dr. Dawn M Steins (experience with birds and owns them) - Kettering Animal Hospital Inc.

1600 Woodman Center Dr., Kettering, OH 45420 - Tel. (937) 294-5211

Travel Directions 1 block north of the Dorthy Lane - Woodman Drive intersection. Make a left turn at the next stoplight. Located at the corner of Woodman Drive and Woodman Center Drive.

Loveland:
Dr. Peter Hill - PetCare Animal Hospital

10570 Loveland Madeira Rd, Loveland, OH 45140 - Tel. 513-677-2930 - www.PetCareCincinnati.com

Macedonia:
Dr. Kimberly Cook - Macedonia Veterinary Clinic

517 Highland Rd E Macedonia, OH 44056- Tel. (330) 468-1200 www.mvclinic.com

Milford:
Dr. Robert Dahlhausen MS, DVM - Avian and Exotic Animal Medical Center

5989 Meijer Dr., Suites 5 and 11, Milford, Ohio 45150 - Tel: 513-576-1808

Dr. Robert Dahlhausen has practiced avian and exotic animal medicine exclusively for the past 28 years. He is also the founder of Veterinary Molecular Diagnostics, Inc. in Milford, Ohio.

Dr. Dahlhausen was presented with the Lafeber "Avian Practitioner of the Year" award in 2008. It is his research into ABV/PDD that led to the use of COX-2 Inhibitors in the management of PDD-affected birds. He has lectured internationally and is a frequent speaker locally.

North Ridgeville:
Jamie Lindstrom, DVM - Animal Clinic Northview, Inc.

34910 Center Ridge Road, North Ridgeville, OH 44039 - Tel. (440) 327-8282

(One customer stated that this vet is more expensive than other local avian vets. She suggests the one in Avon - listed above).

Reynoldsburg:
R. Mohan, D.V.M., Ph. D. - Avian Health Clinic

7152 E. Main St., Suite B, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 - Tel. (614) 755-2273

Seven Hills:

Dr Steven Shaw - Broadview Animal and Bird Hospital

Seven Hills, Oh 44131, Tel. 216-524-1141

Dr. Shaw was Avian veterinarian for Sea World of Ohio from 1997 to 2001. He took care of all birds of prey and Parrots that were with the Wild Wing Show. He was the private avian veterinarian for Joe Calvaho, who trained all birds for various Theme parks throughout country, including all Sea Worlds and Busch Gardens. He owned and directed Broadview Animal and Bird Hospital since 1986. 35% avian practice which accounts for 3500 active avian clients.

Tipp City:
Dr. James Mathias

4900 South Count Rd. 25A , Tipp City, Ohio 45371 - Tel. (937) 667-8489

Toledo:
Dr. Susan Orosz - Bird Exotic Per Vets

5166 Monroe St. (west of Talmadge, behind David's Bridal) Suite 305, Toledo, OH 43623 - Tel. 419-843-3137

" Been going to her for 11 years. She is great and her staff is great!" -- Cheryl Celso

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Update... My cockatiel is doing way better now and has not had blood in his stool since. Thank you so much but does any of you have any tips on taking a cockatiel..

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you go to the vet?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Update... My cockatiel is doing way better now and has not had blood in his stool since. Thank you so much but does any of you have any tips on taking a cockatiel..
I am glad he's ok. Do you mean taming? Usually tiels love millet spray. You can see if you can hand feed him some

brooke wikette

Meeting neighbors
Yea taming. So today I let him out of his cage and he actually got onto my arm and then climbed up to my shoulder and then onto my back. I was very surprised... Then I was able to get him back onto my arm and put him back into his cage. Now he just got a bath and keeps responding to me when I speak to him... I’m pretty sure this is a good thing but not too sure! Thank you for the help and I think i’m going to continue to do what I did today.