• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
Jesse has no limp at all now. He does have two friends, other conures. Oh, and two wild baby bird that fell out of a tree in our yard. Tried to put them back into the nest but the weather has demolished it, so we are fostering them until they are old enough to release.

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
Just checking the thread again after being away for awhile. Conner and Leah bite, but they're smaller birds and don't inflict as my damage. It does hurt, though! Conner's not been biting me nearly as much lately.

If at all possible, I try not to react when he bites. It can be difficult though, because his beak is like a needle clamping onto my flesh. If he grinds in, I might shake my finger to get it out of his grip, but still try not to react.

When it's over, I tell him 'no' in a firm voice. I give him the Evil Eye for a few seconds. Then, I analyze the reason for the bite. If it's him being fearful, he gets put on his bowl for a time out. If he's just being a tool for whatever reason, he gets put in his house for a time out for at least 15 minutes.

Leah is a rescue, so she's not very trusting of me. I don't react at all to her biting, because I know it's from how she was previously raised.

I've also warned visitors to my house that the birds can bite, and to please not handle them. One fellow got bitten by Leah, because he wouldn't leave her alone. She took a good sized chunk out of his finger, but he wound up apologizing to us because it was his fault for ignoring the warning.

I've noticed that my birds bite me less, and when they do bite, it's not nearly as hard as it used to be. It's an ongoing challenge to bird people.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is how I found out that my Lorikeet “Does Not” like to be clapped at .... even though I was praising him. I guess he got too excited. View attachment 314155
It's funny sometimes what will actually set them off! Buddy seems to be so used to my loud insanity. I know @ 1st he would startle sometimes, but now I think he thinks I'm a crazy Zon w/ no feathers. :fairy2:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
those first pictures should be a warning to anyone thinking big parrots are just cool, cozy and talking birds... and should be presented to any person naive enough to think parrots and small kids are cute together.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My first face bite on the 1st of the year!
20200102_110152.jpg
It may not look that bad but boy did it hurt! He was hanging from my chin and wouldn't let go! I had to pry his beak open to get him off! He's never went for my face before so it was a bit surprising :eek:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I found out the same way that you did that Quaker JJ does not like having raspberries blown at him!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
View attachment 324645
It may not look that bad but boy did it hurt! He was hanging from my chin and wouldn't let go! I had to pry his beak open to get him off! He's never went for my face before so it was a bit surprising :eek:
Owie! My Astro has always been such a sweet girl but the past few months when I open her door she does a lot of posturing. I didn't think anything of it as she has always lightly beaked my nose..... until she chomped down on my nostril!!!!! Upper beak on the outside, lower beak on the inside. That really hurt and left a definite beak mark. No more kisses for you young lady!!! I keep my nose at a safe distance now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
View attachment 324645
:D Ok now you guys are even again. Give one. Take one. :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was reluctant to post this for a few days because I was so upset. Blu bit me in the face again! He almost got my eye! He flew right at me and before I knew it he was chomped down on my eye bag. Lol

20200106_124615.jpg

I was so angry at him that I put him in his cage and locked him there for like an hour (longest he's ever been caged in my possession) That was a mistake because came out even angrier! I tried mowing over what I could have done to deserve it and the only thing I can honestly say is that I think me putting him to bed 2 hours early on New years eve really ticked him off or throw off his circadian rhythm really badly. He had been insanely mean since then.

So ever since that bite I had been covering my face whenever we interact and he just angrily squawked nonstop. He was a fuming ball of feathered fury!

Then it occurred to me that I need to rearrange his room. I think he got too comfortable and possessive with it so I switched things up a bit to give his mind something else to focus on. That immediately helped a bit.

The next day as he was sitting on my shoulder and I kept my face covered I realized he keep angrily squawking because he hates when I cover my face! So somehow I mustered up enough courage to get over my fear and be the normal bird mom I used to be before the back to back face bites and he's been back to being my sweet little friend again.

Man, I was very dissapointed in him for a few days though!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well Lurch used to bite because he was a used bird and I'd get brave or not pay attention and POW! Eventually as he started to trust me and I figured out some of the reasons he was actually biting it got a lot better and we mostly reached a understanding with each other. I did that to him once when he bit the crap out of my ear. I said some bad words and he realized he was in BIG trouble and zoomed away as fast as he could. I grabbed him and stuffed in his cage and covered him for a few hours and pretty much same thing, very mad bird. Finally about 7pm that night I cautiously let him out, he flew over to my chair and said HI SWEET HEART, I figured we were OK after that. He actually grew to love me in hius own way and da bitez were just part of the package and I sure miss his grumpy butt.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu has a bit of cockatoo blood in him. Life is never boring as a parrot owner is it my dear. :hug8:
He is a force to be reckoned with, for sure! I actually had a black eye the next day!

It truly never gets boring! I never used to understand how other people claim to be bored because I never am.. Now I get it, they don't have a parrot ;)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I can honestly say is that I think me putting him to bed 2 hours early on New years eve really ticked him off or throw off his circadian rhythm really badly. He had been insanely mean since then.
Tinker was nasty to me after he spend most of Boxing Day in his cage. I change out his foot toys and half his hanging toys and that help as well.
Then a few days later he peeled the skin on the back of my hand back.

20200105_153835.jpg

He has been nice the last 24 hours or so.
I never let him on my shoulder ever so he doesn't even try.

Oh the fun we have with these guys. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Tinker was nasty to me after he spend most of Boxing Day in his cage. I change out his foot toys and half his hanging toys and that help as well.
Then a few days later he peeled the skin on the back of my hand back.

View attachment 325365

He has been nice the last 24 hours or so.

Oh the fun we have with these guys. :)
Ouch, that looks painful! I'm glad atleast Blu has a smaller beak. It's amazing how they keep grudges!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Ouch, that looks painful! I'm glad atleast Blu has a smaller beak. It's amazing how they keep grudges!
I though I might need a stitch at first but the flap went back nicely after I cleaned it. I heal fast and now it doesn't look so bad. It was a full flight attack as well. I darn near clipped him but thought it's my fault not his and didn't.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I though I might need a stitch at first but the flap went back nicely after I cleaned it. I heal fast and now it doesn't look so bad. It was a full flight attack as well. I darn near clipped him but thought it's my fault not his and didn't.
I can totally relate! I honestly was wishing I could clip him too but I knew I'd regret it so I didn't