• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Shezbug Totally off topic but are you getting the same heat that Adelaide is? It made our local news in Chicago, while we're freezing our derrieres off with negative temps and wind chills.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug Totally off topic but are you getting the same heat that Adelaide is? It made our local news in Chicago, while we're freezing our derrieres off with negative temps and wind chills.
Sure are! It was 47degrees Celsius in the shade yesterday and we have had temperatures in that range for nearly two weeks. Some of the nights have dropped to 25-29 by about 1-2am but some have stayed up in the 30’s. Today is much cooler and only has a top temperature of about 36. Pretty used to it where we live it is always warmer here than most parts of Victoria.
I personally love it and spend most of the day outside while the rest of the family sit in the refrigerated airconditioned house. There’s only a few other people I know of who don’t complain when it gets this warm.
I read in the news that we have had massive amounts of bats and other animals perish in the heat as we also don’t have enough water holes due to long term drought.
We have a break from the extreme temps this week.....should only be high 30’s for the next week.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It was 47degrees Celsius in the shade yesterday
And the first thing that strikes me is how was I suppose to run in that warm weather. I can manage to run in 37º C, but 47º C.. Stay safe! Be careful!
I read in the news that we have had massive amounts of bats and other animals perish in the heat as we also don’t have enough water holes due to long term drought.
Perhaps you remember how the summer was here in Sweden? (all the fires and no rain)
Everyday when I was going to the forest to run (and after swimming) I brought twice as much water with me. In the forest I arrange leaf and fill them up with water. Both in the tree and on the ground. And I gave them almost all of my water too.
The water was to the insects. And of course the insects was to the birds. I was told that the birds was dying because they didn't have food. (insects eating birds)
Perhaps you can do something to help the bats?
And we can't save them all, but the one we can, gives us the best feeling in the world. Knowing that we can give something back for all the bad thing we do and have done to them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have shallow tubs of water all around the yard where the birds hang out and have all the outside taps dripping for them too.
I am not sure where the bats that died were but they said heaps of horses and other mammals didn’t make it either.
There are many haystacks that have combusted in this heat, I have a few friends in the local fire brigade and they have all been very busy. Some of the roads have melted and stick to your car tyres too, it makes a horrible mess on the car.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have shallow tubs of water all around the yard where the birds hang out and have all the outside taps dripping for them too.
I love that! ♡

I have a few friends in the local fire brigade and they have all been very busy.
I understand that. Firefighters are so brave.
I hope they all will stay safe too. ♡

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Had a friend show me your picture @JLcribber and ask me if I was aware Dexter can do this the other day xD. I said Yep, and he went on about how that's like someone having a pet bear and just accepting it will maul them one day. I said "if you love bears enough to have a pet one, you better be damn sure you're willing to take that risk." You know the most about 'toos out of everyone I've ever spoken too. If you get bit, I'll get bit. I'm okay with that.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Birds bite, some just only bite when forced to. Most have their reasons that don't always correspond with what we think they should.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ugh

Please forgive me for saying this but I do not like Blu today. I wish we could take a little vacation from each other till these hormones calm down
20190228_104623.jpg
I know it's not that bad but it's probably the hardest I've been bit by him yet. The welts swelled up immediately

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Ugh

Please forgive me for saying this but I do not like Blu today. I wish we could take a little vacation from each other till these hormones calm down
View attachment 297624
I know it's not that bad but it's probably the hardest I've been bit by him yet. The welts swelled up immediately

I think those are natural feelings after a bite. Hugs!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Ugh

View attachment 297624
The littles are really good at leaving welts and bruises.

The ones I don't like are the ones that they give no warning for. Most of the time I deserve the bite I get, but not those ones.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The littles are really good at leaving welts and bruises.

The ones I don't like are the ones that they give no warning for. Most of the time I deserve the bite I get, but not those ones.
Yeah, I didn't get any warning. I usually prepare his breakfast without him but today I tried to save time and carried him to tye kitchen with me. As we were going up the stairs I had my hands full with his his dishes and skewer and I guess he got mad at the dishes. I don't know what he was thinking but I couldn't drop the dishes so I had to take the bite(s)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Yeah, I didn't get any warning. I usually prepare his breakfast without him but today I tried to save time and carried him to tye kitchen with me. As we were going up the stairs I had my hands full with his his dishes and skewer and I guess he got mad at the dishes. I don't know what he was thinking but I couldn't drop the dishes so I had to take the bite(s)
That was pretty much what happened with Rupert as well. I was offering him a bath from the sink (the sink has a shower like spray) and was holding the bowl for him. Suddenly he lunged forward and nailed me really hard, and I couldn't do anything because I was holding a dish that was very full of water. He was happy right up until he bit me. Once I took care of the bowl, I carted him back to the room and let him be by himself for a while.

The bite didn't look bad in particular, but he bruised the joint in my thumb well enough that it ached for days.

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That was pretty much what happened with Rupert as well. I was offering him a bath from the sink (the sink has a shower like spray) and was holding the bowl for him. Suddenly he lunged forward and nailed me really hard, and I couldn't do anything because I was holding a dish that was very full of water. He was happy right up until he bit me. Once I took care of the bowl, I carted him back to the room and let him be by himself for a while.
I'm sorry that happened to you. Was he hormonal or was it just that kind of day?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm sorry that happened to you. Was he hormonal or was it just that kind of day?
He was hormonal and really itchy. It's very abnormal for him to not bathe several times a week, and he had been without a bath for a long time. I was trying a different change of pace to see if he was just unimpressed with the way I had been offering baths. :shrug:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He was hormonal and really itchy. It's very abnormal for him to not bathe several times a week, and he had been without a bath for a long time. I was trying a different change of pace to see if he was just unimpressed with the way I had been offering baths. :shrug:
Ahh, I see. Blu is hormonal and molting too so I'm getting the best of both worlds right now :shocked4:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@CrazyBirdChick
Right now I have osteoarthritis flare up and mucous cyst In my finger.
Joey got a hold of that finger joint and bit down pretty hard, wouldn’t let go. Felt like he could break it.
The joint was bruised and very swollen. But no blood drawn.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick
Right now I have osteoarthritis flare up and mucous cyst In my finger.
Joey got a hold of that finger joint and bit down pretty hard, wouldn’t let go. Felt like he could break it.
The joint was bruised and very swollen. But no blood drawn.
Oh no! I'm so sorry! That sounds really painful :(