• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird bite photos (Warning ~ Graphic)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
@BirdGuy21
I am sorry that happened.
Do you recall what they were doing right before it happened?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You might need filler for those. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
@BirdGuy21
I am sorry that happened.
Do you recall what they were doing right before it happened?
I was transferring him from his cage to the play stand. He gets particularly bitey this time of year. My girlfriend is is chosen person and he wanted nothing to do with me today.

Oh my! Hope you're okay!
Thanks, all is well! All in all the bites don't really bother me. But when he gets the same spot as a previous, half healed bite- that isn't pleasant.

Just tells me I need to work with some more trick training with him to keep him busy.

You might need filler for those. :)
Haha thankfully not yet! He gets me with the side of his beak and grinds away, usually taking a piece of skin with him. The Eckie bit was a light one. This is our first hormone season with a female Eckie so we'll see how it goes. It's definitely a learning process, but I am picking up on her body language and learning her "pet peeves".

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Shoot! I forgot to post my pic of my HawkHead biting me on the nose

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
(a while ago)
I made him take a bath because he smelled really bad :mad2: then he bit me. But I didn't feel a thing at all!

Attachments

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Quacky got me good this morning. I got a little too close to him while he was still on his cage and he nailed me.

20170415_085412.jpg

And here he is (on the left) looking innocent and cute, don't be fooled.

20170415_085534.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's in his eyes - those orange caique eyes make me very wary - and he's keeping an eye on you :watching:

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Not that bad of a bite considering it came from a MACAW!
macaw soft bite.jpg

Little story with this one. A local pet shop has a blue and gold macaw that I absolutely adore as a shop bird. He and I tend to get along pretty well and I've been known to love on him quite a bit, he even allows me to rub the underside of his wings on good days. Well this macaw is known to be a bitter sometimes and they even have big signs in bold writing warning that this macaw may bite. I'm fine with this, not like I'm not use to it with all the parrots I fostered in the past who had behavioral issues, so I still love on the macaw knowing a bite can happen and the pet shop owners know me well enough to know I'm not gonna flip my feathers if I get bit, it happens sometimes, comes with being a bird lover.

Well this young kid was annoying the macaw and tried to give him a treat. I saw this as a big problem since that macaw coulda snapped that boy's finger in half and, as opposed to letting a kid get bit, I asked if he would let me give the macaw the treat. Better I get bit than a young kid ya know and there was a chance the macaw wouldn't bite me due to him being familiar with me. Well, luck wasn't on my side and the macaw got my finger in his beak instead of the treat, thus this little bite.

It's not a bad bite at all, then again that macaw likes me. If he didn't like me he coulda done a whole lot worse to me. I don't even wanna think what he woulda done to that kid's finger if I hadn't intervened. I even showed the kid the, at the time, fresh and bleeding bite and told him "This is why I didn't want you to try to give him the treat, you don't want this happening to you. That coulda been your finger." and, of course, I was nice, I was trying to teach the kid not scare the heck out of him. Then the kid starts trying to grab the macaw's tail. I called the issue to the store owner, telling him that the macaw was in a mood and had bit and then kinda motioned towards where the kid was harassing this poor bird and they put the macaw in his cage to be safe.

Don't get me wrong, the macaw is not a bad bird at all, he just is a bit bitey if he's in a mood, it happens. He isn't what I would call a sweet bird, he's picky bout people but he isn't bad. I just didn't want him to hurt the kid and I didn't want the macaw to get a bad reputation due to a kid annoying him to the point that the kid gets bitten by that big beak.

This is why kids and big, unfamiliar birds do not mix! I have no doubt that if the macaw hadn't been annoyed so much by the kid then I never woulda been bitten by the same bird who normally acts like an overgrown chick with me.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Good for you taking one for the team. That kid had no idea what he was playing with and that guy probably would have bit in total anger, not I like you but I'm anoyed right now...
Could have been really bad for both of them.
Nerd bird got upset with the lady vet years ago when he was alive. We didn't have a travel cage and she was trying to get him outa his house and he wasn't amused and started to do the Pionus grab and chew so I reached in and he nailed me good. She said don't let him bite you, I said he's my bird so he can bite me, but he's not allowed to bite you...
Later she said the worst bird bite she ever got was from a Maxi Pionus and showed a scar on her right thumb/palm area.
Maybe some day that kid will realize what you did for him and learn to respect and love critters.

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
She said don't let him bite you, I said he's my bird so he can bite me, but he's not allowed to bite you...
Later she said the worst bird bite she ever got was from a Maxi Pionus and showed a scar on her right thumb/palm area.
Maybe some day that kid will realize what you did for him and learn to respect and love critters.
I agree there. They gotta learn that their beak doesn't get their way and, well, sometimes that means taking a bite and not being deterred.

Worst bite I ever got was from an angry sun conure. I will take a macaw or cockatoo or almost any other bite over a ticked off sun conure any day! Got bit by a pionus I was fostering once, eh not a fun bite but still, sun conure bites scare me, they tend to go under the skin til their beak tips meet and pull and twist, least the one that got me did that, never been bit by another since but that one was enough!

And yeah, I really hope he realises what I saved him from without learning the hard way. Goodness knows a bad bite can make a kid scared of birds for life if they aren't careful. Thankfully the parents were buying him a cockatiel, not a larger bird so he'll go through the school of hard knocks with a much smaller and less damaging beak.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Echo got me today. Not so bad, especially for a Too. Worst part it's on a joint. I'm very thankful it wasn't my face like it has been in the past. The biggest bummer is we were so close to making to a year without any bites. *sigh* :meh: I'm not sure why it happen, I think maybe he was hyper and then just not in a good mood...
20170708_204055_001.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It was embarrassing the last time Sherbie bit me roughly a week ago. I let my guard down for 2 seconds on accident. It was probably the first time I actually yelled because she wouldn't let go for anything and she managed to strike a nerve in the process. The spot still gets jolted every now and then if I hit it just right.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Finally happened... Lìmone has a strong phobia about going though cage doors. Usually he's perfectly fine as long as he can't see the doorway. Being wrapped up in a hand towel works fairly well. He LOVES being toweled. And our towel routine is a daily part of life for transitions in and out of his day cage. (He's to the point now that he'll step up and come through the door of his sleep cage on a hand as long as he sees the towel waiting for him on the other side!)

A couple months ago the towel slipped and he saw the day cage door as I was putting him into the cage. This was the my arm immediately after it happened:
IMG_8976.JPG

After it had a chance to really turn some lovely colors:
IMG_8985.JPG

A week ago it happened again... This time coming out of the cage.
IMG_5738.JPG
That much blood happened very, very quickly. He got me in something with some flow to it because it was a steady, welling bleed. It surprised both of us. I really believe it was about the same pressure as the first bite, just a more delicate/thin-skinned location. This was later the same day:
IMG_5752.JPG

I'm much more careful about how I wrap him now (and still working on helping him learn that an open cage door is a happy place of pecan pieces and fluffy towels... not a death trap of fear.)

Edit: I'm certain he wasn't trying to do serious damage because he was capable of doing this to his stainless steel bowl when trying to work it out of the holder (he's mechanically inclined and everything has potential as a puzzle to him):

IMG_5774.JPG

Last edited:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Tanya OUCH! those finger bites hurt!!