• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Bath Spray?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Wondering if anyone has ever used a Bird Bath Spray? I came across this product yesterday. Is anyone familiar with eCOTRITION Bird Bath Spray with molt ease? Any feed back would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would just use water.

I can't understand why you would need a specialty product unless there was a unique health or disability and a vet prescribed an alternative.

Hope this helps :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I would just use water.

I can't understand why you would need a specialty product unless there was a unique health or disability and a vet prescribed an alternative.

Hope this helps :)
Thank you for your reply. I’m happy to say no health issues or disability. All is well with Kai. I just happen to come across this bath spray which is suppose to help with the molting and irritations. Thought I would see if anyone uses a bath spray and if anyone has heard of this particular one.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nope :) Just marketing. Sometimes adding things to the feathers can also encourage feather destruction behaviors because they sit on the feathers.

They also state that the formula contains "Preen Gland Oil" so I went looking.

Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Vera Gel, Polysorbate 80, PEG–75 Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetearyl Octanoate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, FD&C Red 40, FD&C Yellow 5

I assume that is what "PEG–75 Lanolin" is supposed to be. Not sure while we need sheep wax on our birds! In addition:

Propylene Glycol, used as an antifreezing agent
Isopropyl Myristate, an emollient
Polysorbate 20, emollient and surfactant
Polysorbate 80, emulsifier
Glycerin, emollient (and laxative!)
Cetearyl Octanoate, emollient
Methylparaben, preservative
Propylparaben, preservative
Diazolidinyl Urea, antimicrobial

I actually would not be able to spray this on myself without a reaction. Parabens can irritate sensitive skin (like mine). I had to go to paraben free shampoos because otherwise I break out all over my scalp!

There are also some studies that suggest that they can interfere with hormones, so would be an additional reason to not use this on a bird.

Additionally, Propylene Glycol has a sweet taste - we don't want their feathers to taste good!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Nope :) Just marketing. Sometimes adding things to the feathers can also encourage feather destruction behaviors because they sit on the feathers.

Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Vera Gel, Polysorbate 80, PEG–75 Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetearyl Octanoate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, FD&C Red 40, FD&C Yellow 5

I assume that is what "PEG–75 Lanolin" is supposed to be. Not sure while we need sheep wax on our birds! In addition:

I actually would not be able to spray this on myself without a reaction. Parabens can irritate sensitive skin (like mine). I had to go to paraben free shampoos because otherwise I break out all over my scalp!

There are also some studies that suggest that they can interfere with hormones, so would be an additional reason to not use this on a bird.

Additionally, Propylene Glycol has a sweet taste - we don't want their feathers to taste good!
Thank you very much for digging into this product further.

The pet industry is so brutal. Somewhere in the world a market researcher employed a chemical engineer to manufacturer a product that though may work on test materials.. was probably never tested for bird safety. It was then marketed as an important inclusion in your pet's routine. Sold to pet stores, concerned owners find the products and want to prove they are caring good owners. Buy the product and poison their pets. I see this happen all the time with Fish keeping... so many tonics and potions...most of them either do nothing at all.. so waste money or the products are literal poisons that novices can buy and just poor at will into their aquariums.

It is really important to always be critical of pet products. They don't always go through the rigorous testing that human products go through.... and even human products aren't always safe.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
My pet store recommended an aloe Vera spray to ease my gcc new found desire to pluck. It’s just water and the Aloe. Haven’t tried it yet. He’s still losing a few feathers everything day.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aloe can sometimes help if the issue is skin dryness or irritation. Otherwise, it isn't doing much unfortunately!

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Nope, never used one. Never thought my baby needed it. I've never found a natural one in the Amazon jungle so all I use is filtered water. Hope this helps some.
Yes, thank you it does help. I’ve been using filtered water. Thanks for your input.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
My pet store recommended an aloe Vera spray to ease my gcc new found desire to pluck. It’s just water and the Aloe. Haven’t tried it yet. He’s still losing a few feathers everything day.
Thank you very much for the reply. I will make note of the Aloe Vera Spray. Hope it helps your gcc with the plucking.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

WOW! Thank you so much for the research you did. I’ve been spritzing Kai with filtered water and would have been heartbroken if I had made him sick using this spray. I will definitely be sure to heed your words. Thank you for your time and input. You’ve been a tremendous help.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you very much for digging into this product further.

The pet industry is so brutal. Somewhere in the world a market researcher employed a chemical engineer to manufacturer a product that though may work on test materials.. was probably never tested for bird safety. It was then marketed as an important inclusion in your pet's routine. Sold to pet stores, concerned owners find the products and want to prove they are caring good owners. Buy the product and poison their pets. I see this happen all the time with Fish keeping... so many tonics and potions...most of them either do nothing at all.. so waste money or the products are literal poisons that novices can buy and just poor at will into their aquariums.

It is really important to always be critical of pet products. They don't always go through the rigorous testing that human products go through.... and even human products aren't always safe.
Reading Mizzely’s reply to my question on the bird spray has certainly been an eye opener. Thank you also for your input. Your comments are well taken. I will stick with the filtered water for spritzing.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Speaking of bird bath... Lucy will NOT take a bath and she is going through molt. I worry about her needs to have a bath. I fear if I spray her with water from a spray bottle she may get upset with me. I have tried almost everything I know of. Setting a bowl at the bottom of her cage with water, leaving the sink running, putting her above the shower, she just wont . What should I do?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pi needs a bath every other day, sometimes he wants a bath many days in a row. His species is from wet forests and he is an oil based bird. I used to use a spray bottle, but since he wants so many baths it was getting to be a bit of a hassle to keep up with toweling up his mess.

I started by using one of his safe and enjoyable table top stands. The one I have has a natural branch. I placed it in the floor of the shower and just hung out with him in there for a few training sessions. So he wasn't worried about the new setting.

Then I introduced water. I run the shower on cold at a low setting and place the stand so only a portion of the branch is being "rained" on. This has been the ticket. He is now asking to get a bath....by biting my thumb... which is a little ...sigh.. But I am encouraging him with the word "bath time yay!" so hopefully when he is older he can figure out a nicer way to ask.

He opens his wings up and really enjoys himself. I think placing it on the floor of the shower makes it a little less worrisome for him because he could walk down if he wanted. He can also walk to the dry side of the perch if he wants.

Just an idea, but might help Lucy :)

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Pi needs a bath every other day, sometimes he wants a bath many days in a row. His spices is from wet forests and he is an oil based bird. I used to use a spray bottle, but since he wants so many baths it was getting to be a bit of a hassle to keep up with toweling up his mess.

I started by using one of his safe and enjoyable table top stands. The one I have has a natural branch. I placed it in the floor of the shower and just hung out with him in there for a few training sessions. So he wasn't worried about the new setting.

Then I introduced water. I run the shower on cold at a low setting and place the stand so only a portion of the branch is being "rained" on. This has been the ticket. He is now asking to get a bath....by biting my thumb... which is a little ...sigh.. But I am encouraging him with the word "bath time yay!" so hopefully when he is older he can figure out a nicer way to ask.

He opens his wings up and really enjoys himself. I think placing it on the floor of the shower makes it a little less worrisome for him because he could walk down if he wanted. He can also walk to the dry side of the perch if he wants.

Just an idea, but might help Lucy :)
I will try this! Ill try anything I can :) Thank you !

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Speaking of bird bath... Lucy will NOT take a bath and she is going through molt. I worry about her needs to have a bath. I fear if I spray her with water from a spray bottle she may get upset with me. I have tried almost everything I know of. Setting a bowl at the bottom of her cage with water, leaving the sink running, putting her above the shower, she just wont . What should I do?
I am really new at owning a Parrotlet. Kai is my first so I don’t feel qualified at giving advice especially since I am constantly seeking advice. I will say that Kai wasn’t taking baths either and he was not thrilled with the first time I spritzed him. While he acted ok during the actual spritzing when I went to take him out of his cage later in the day he tried to bite me. I assumed he thought he was getting spritzed again. I just told him no, ignored his behavior, and took him out of the cage anyway. His behavior after his second spritzing was much better. I still spritz him but he also likes to bathe in his drinking dish even though he has a nice bathtub. If you want to get input from other people create a post asking for suggestions. The people in this forum are so wonderful and full of knowledge from their own experiences. They are so willing to share. Good luck to you.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
LOL! My auto correct messes me up also. Sometimes it’s embarrassing what it turns my words into.
Lol ! Same. Im on my computer but I avoid using AA on my phone or tablet for this reason. Your good. No reason to be embarrased :)