• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Big Enough Cage for 2 Caiques?

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hello! So I'm in a super exciting position where I'm building a house and I'm going to make a bird room especially for my babies. I have 7 parrots total, but this thread relates to my pair of wbcs. I'm thinking about building them a habitat rather than just using a traditional cage. I want it to give them the room to do whatever they want during the day when im busy. I'm thinking 3 ft deep, 6 ft wide, and making it go from floor to ceiling, so about 10 ft tall. Is this big enough or should I go bigger? They're such rambunctious birds I want to make sure they have enough room.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That should be large enough, but please keep in mind that this species is well known for its aggression, especially during mating season, so there are no guarantees with any size cage as far as safety is concerned. @Irishj9 may be able to better help you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Be very careful with what you use to build a cage. I have seen birds with metal toxicity etc from home made cages.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Sounds like the size is good. Of course they are climbers, so that cage needs to have lots of safe branches for them to climb. It would be good to have it at a window so they can see out when youre away.

Mine are also in very tall wide flights. But theyre ouit in groups in a large avairy as well, if theyre not sunning themselves in much smaller travel cages on the lawn. The point is, the cage is part of your solution to their need for constant interesting activity.

But cage alone is not enough

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Oh no they will have more than just this cage. I'm going to deck out the whole room with toys, perches, and lots of fun stuff. Also going to build a screened in porch off of the room so they can have supervised outdoor time.

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
That should be large enough, but please keep in mind that this species is well known for its aggression, especially during mating season, so there are no guarantees with any size cage as far as safety is concerned. @Irishj9 may be able to better help you.
I'm worried about that. They get along good but I've definitely noticed that caiques are volatile. Right now they live in separate cages for that reason. If they do end up fighting, I still have plenty of room and cages to house them separately.

Turkey2017

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Be very careful with what you use to build a cage. I have seen birds with metal toxicity etc from home made cages.
I will! I've been doing research into appropriate materials. Untreated wood and probably steel mesh.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm worried about that. They get along good but I've definitely noticed that caiques are volatile. Right now they live in separate cages for that reason. If they do end up fighting, I still have plenty of room and cages to house them separately.
The fighting is more likely at hormonal breeding time. Both have their roles to play, and if one is not pulling his weight, the other gets mad, and violent.

The male is supposed to prepare the nest begfore the hen lays. He is having fun. Whats up with HER?. She has a ready made nestbox?

But she needs the PROCEDURE. She sees his committment by his labours over the nestbox.

Or his lack of effort as a reason to KICK HIS bum!