• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BFA questions, please share knowledge & experinces

Penny_

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
There is a sweet adorable bfa at the bird store near me. The owner sent out a DNA test, but it is not back yet. The bird is cautious, but I have started to bond with him (for the ease of discussion, I will use male pronouns). While he is shy, he is definitely curious and likes to show off for me. He is less than a year old, the store owner told me his hatch day but I can't quite recall atm. Taking this bird home is a huge commitment, and I am very away of the hot 3 which scares me. He is an extra commitment because he has a scissor beak. He likes to show off how he can eat his food just like a big boy and climb. I have done a lot of reading about Amazons. Currently, I have a pineapple green cheek conure.

I have read through the good, the bad, & the ugly thread and have some more questions.

I know every parrot is unique, but a variety of experiences is helpful.

1. What is an average day in the life like?
(For example, my GCC wakes up and has a quiet breakfast in her cage. Then I open up her cage and she has free roam between her cage/cage top and play stand that is right next to her cage. She will spend some time on either my husband or I and some time out playing independently. She goes back in her cage for an hour-ish in the afternoon for quiet time and lunch. Then she is out and swaps between velcro'ed on and playing on her stand until dinner. I put her in her cage to eat dinner, then she hangs usually on us until bed time. My husband and I work remotely so we are able to do this during the week too).

2. Do you experience hormonal and behavioral challenges with your Amazon if you read and respect his/her body language?

3. Was there anything you did or could have done to mitigate the difficult period of hormonal moodiness and personality changes that comes with sexual maturity?

4. What is something that surprised you about your Amazon?

5. What is your Amazon's favorite activity?

6. What is your favorite thing about your zon, and what is your least favorite?

Thanks in advance everyone!
image0.jpg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They are easy to read. Watch the eyes, tail and attitude.

I went from no birds to 2 DNA male wild caught blue fronts.

Love them both. Love that they are independent but they love company.

They still get hormonal at times.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I have a 36 year old BFA who I have had since he was 11 weeks old. I have been through all of the ups and downs of growing up, and I will try to give you a sense of what it was like.
First, I have to say that you shouldn't be afraid of a "Hot Three" bird. Yes, they can be challenging, but are also so rewarding. They are intelligent and loving, and with the correct owner, a joy to live with. There will be trials, but can be dealt with.

First, as a young parrot, this bird will bond with you as his "flock". Being prey animals, parrots tend to congregate together in groups for safety and companionship. I never knew I would become a flock, but I am!

Going through maturity and puberty is probably the most stressful time. They can turn into little green monsters for a time each spring when it is mating season. If you try to socialize him correctly, the biting will be kept to a minimum. Mine always tried to mate with me. As he got older, however, this behavior has become less and less. I can probably say that in 36 years I have received about 10 bad bites, and most often it was my fault. I did not read his mood correctly, and tried to do something with him he did not want to do. If you look at the bird as a 2 year old child, you will get the drift! "Eat your dinner Johnny" NO NO NO. That is how it is with a parrot. They will not do anything they don't want to do, period. If you train them correctly, they will do what you ask because they want to and they want the treat that comes along with the action. They are super smart, and learn very quickly. Mine does not bite anymore. He will nip at your hand very gently to tell you he doesn't like what you are doing.

Screaming can also be a problem. I learned years ago to ignore any screams. Now, when Sam wants me or something else, he calls hello to me. I will answer him every time, even if it is only with a whistle to show I am listening. This is why he never screams. I respect that he lives in my home and is part of my family. He knows this, and respects me as well. He only screams when something frightens him, like when a cat jumped on the fence outside the window. Boy did he let me know the cat was there!

Chewing and destructive behavior can also be a problem. I make sure Sam has plenty of toys and safe wood to chew, so he never really destroyed anything. Only once, he ripped the paper off the sheetrock on the wall near his cage. I think he was probably bored.

I can do almost anything to or with him. I cut his nails, trim his wings, give him a bath, clean his house with him on it. I can pick him up anytime and carry him around the house. We have a very close relationship which has come from all the years of living together and being with each other. I make time to sit with him and scratch him and talk to him every day.

Talk to people, read some books, watch some videos on parrot behavior. All of this will help you with raising a wonderful companion. I wouldn't trade the last 36 years for anything. I hope he lives another 36, and I work my hardest to make sure he is healthy and happy so he can! If you have any specific questions, ask away. Everyone here will help you.

Penny_

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much for your replies! I am reading as much as I can, I’ve had a hard time finding good YouTube channels with amazons, any recommendations?

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Try searching YouTube for Parrot Training Videos. I think there are quite a few.

Penny_

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
@Anita1250 - Oh yes, plenty that way. I was more referring to youtubers dealing with the specific challenges of Amazons. Thanks again!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

(seasonal) Currently, Dad gets Buddy up & they hang out till Mom gets up. We have breakfast. Buddy then hangs out w/ Dad until Mom is caffinated & awake. Or Buddy helps Mom make breakfast when stoves avoided & hangs on cage till Ma caffi...

Then we hang out, do household chores. Nibbles Moms ear, Moms zipper gets scolded & then we watch T.v. & play. Get toweled & get eye drops, do our colors & work. Or I hang out with Dad, fly & watch T.v.and

Buddy will play, snack, nap & do assorted misc. activities. Lots a chewing wood toys & fly maybe & nap.

Have dinner, sit on Mom or work (this is where we do what most would call training) anywhere from 10 mins. to 2 hrs. Or we sing or I just chew.

I go back to my cage & Mom tells me 10 mins to bed & anywhere from 10 mins - 1 hr later Mom takes me to my travel cage by Dad & I go to sleep.

2. Do you experience hormonal and behavioral challenges with your Amazon if you read and respect his/her body language?

Yes, Daddy does. I can get nippy & even a little sinister during mating season. I love to ask for scritches w/ my neck fluffed and head down then I try to see if I can bite Daddy! I bite to really hurt too! It's only cause I love Mommy & I don't like it 1 bit that Daddy loves Mommy so much too! Daddy usually avoids me alot during this time. This season coming up might be different, Daddy learned to say No really loud, I don't like it at all!

3. Was there anything you did or could have done to mitigate the difficult period of hormonal moodiness and personality changes that comes with sexual maturity?

We didn't have t o deal w/ this as Buddy was inherited. I say he adopted Mommy. When my Dad owned him I know that Buddy was doing plucking mutilation to himself. I'm not sure how it resolved tho.

There's a few things. How well, Buddy understands human language. How dumb, he played knowing human language in the beginning. They can be manipulating to you for what they think is they're best interest. You don't even realize you've been got till later.

They're very smart. Almost too smart.

How much they need interaction. How much smarter you can make them as long as you take out stock in seed & nut producing farms. They work for food & prefer it that way.

They chew. Here I'm lucky. Buddy wasn't a chewer as far as woodwork etc... He didn't even know what a foot toy was till he met me. I taught him about them. He had hangy cage toys but as far as I can tell no foot type toys. I might add that Buddy is almost never alone. There's really no time where he's alone. If he is alone, he's locked in his cage & unable to reach my homes woodwork.

Ensuring my day is spent climbing my human trees, flying, eating, did I mention my human trees.

My favorite thing is him saying what he thinks is Moms name: Sh*t. I think it's cause he can't say my name but it sounds kinda like this bad bad word. My least favorite besides his honking/yelling: I can't even acknowledge my name as I don't want to encourage the bad word. I spent so much time trying to teach him my name. Doesnt really even sound like my name. Oh well, cannot always teach a 25 yr old zon to talk.

-------
Please think about adoption. There are so so many Zons that need rescuing. They can outlive you too (make sure if you adopt/purchase that there's an after you plan)! I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy ends up w/ my kid after me & his 3rd generation owner @ that! You can maybe the puberty part.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Fresh food and water in the morning. While I get ready for work I hear "What cha doing? over and over again. Then comes whistles or opera.

Anytime we walk by the cages we try for interaction. They generally sit in the front of their cages then. If we watch tv, they're playing with toys or sleeping.

When we come home from work they're out of the cage for a few hours on their playstands. Again, they often sleep then. Odd?

They get chop at night. Hand fed. MC sits on my leg and Secret leans down from her perch. In the past, MC would bite me if I got close to Secret when he was on my arm. This has been working lately andMC had been okay with it.

That is the key to a happy life!

My guys were old.

The smell. Had no idea that they had a scent they could put out. It really makes my heart happy when it happens. MC does it fairly often but Secret, just a few times. MC will answer hubby's phone when it rings. Hubby can hit the button but MC always answers "hello" first.

Secret has better command of language. When they had their nails trimmed at first, Secret would holler "help me, help me" when MC was getting his done. Secret likes boys around 10 or 11 years of age. I caught her telling a great nephew "let me out" during a Thanksgiving meal. I grabbed the door.....

For MC, chewing wood toys and battling his parrot pocket. He rings his bell when he wants attention from me. If hubby puts something in his bowl on his playstand, he races to fling it out. I'm worried about whiplash at times like that.

Secret? Chewing up her platform perches. She skritches herself by walking under her bells. That bird is very independent.

Everything is my favorite! I love them. When they do their opera together its awesome. One starts and the other picks it up.

Least favorite? Secret has an awful crow sound that drives me insane. I also hate the sucker bite she has. I start skritching and the head snaps up to bite you. Now that I think of it though, that's what MC does to hubby. Hmmmm. If only Secret didn't eye pin and hiss at him, I'd think he was her favorite!

Secret came to us with issues. If she is stressed, she starts doing loops in her cage. We're pretty much over that except when I had to relocate during remodeling. It broke my heart to see her do that in the travel cage.

Penny_

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all so much for your very thoughtful responses. I have considered adoption of an adult birdo, in a way you know exactly what you are getting which is really nice. We recently adopted a cat and I had a very terrible experience with the shelter and it has really soured my husbands view of adoption. That is another story. I don't think it is a forever thing, but I digress.

No ones stories here have put me off, in fact they have been very encouraging. I think for now I am going to hold off for a few reasons. Any bird is a huge commitment. Lulu, my little GCC, is already a huge commitment on top of my other animals. So, I think for now I am going to focus on loving my zoo as is. It is hard when your heart melts for every animal you see, but for now I think it is the right choice.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
We uncover Lucy (Yellownape) and Miss Birdy (Orange Wing) around 8:30 to 9am. Sometimes later but Lucy will do down and look under the cover at you and ask whatcha doin.
We give them their mix and change water and they eat and play with toys for awhile. We let them out and if we are home, they are out all day either on their stands or on the outside of the cage. They will go in their cage and take a nap from time to time. In the evening they get fresh veggies and one on one time with us. Lucy will sit on my shoulder or my lap and play with me for a couple of hours, Miss Birdy sits and loves on my wife as long as she lets her. We cover them at 8:30 to 9pm for bedtime.

We havent had much hormonal activity from Lucy yet, she will be 4 in a few months. She does have times where I think she is trying to mate with her favorite ball. Miss Birdy came to us as a 20yr old, we've had her a year and havent seen hormonal activity from her.

We havent really had to deal with it yet

Lucy surprises me all the time by how quickly she learns things, so you do have to watch what you say around her.
She also learned that when you turn off the ceiling fan and she sees me putting my hand up there to slow the blades to a stop that she is getting to come out and will be waiting on her door all excited.

Tearing up anything they get their beaks on. Lucy also loves to show off for company which we hardly ever get any but when we do, she is doing all her sounds and tricks and talking to them.

I would say our playtime together when she is on my lap and lays on her back and likes to play a little rough but she wont bite hard. All her little squeals and laughs makes me laugh.
Also bedtime, around 8:30 she will tell me its time for night night, when I come to the cage and ask if shes ready for night night she says time for night night and gives her little giggle. But the part that really gets me is when I put the cover on her cage, she say Love youuuu, melts my heart.

My least favorite is the afternoon screams and calls they both do, we have to shut the blinds and close the front door as it can get loud sometimes.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
God to hear the update on Miss Birdy (and always thrilled to hear about Lucy)!

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
My husband usually wakes up before me and releases the Kraken (aka Moe-Bird) from the bathroom where she sleeps, and she immediately flies across the room to her stand. After making coffee and picking up some fresh water downstairs, I return to the bedroom and fill up her toys with fresh food. She usually spends the next hour happily foraging for breakfast while I finish coffee, check my emails, etc. By the time I have to head to work, she's almost ready for a nap. She actually spends a lot of the day out of a cage because her favorite place in the world is her play stand-- unless she finds her way to the top of the curtains. I have a super flexible work schedule, so I'm not usually away from her for more than three or four hours at a time. Sometimes I throw a diaper on her and go about my day as a human tree. By night time, she's back to her perch in the bathroom ready for sleepy-time!

She's actually a rescue that I got at 8-ish years old, but her previous owner didn't really understand how to NOT make her super bow-chicka-wow-wow time all the time. I have to change out hanging toys all the time to make sure she never gets too comfortable with any of them. She's super easy to read though. She is very clear when she doesn't want to be held (like backing away, pinning, squawking). So much easier than any other bird I've encountered.

Making sure she doesn't have toys that she feels comfortable humping all the time.

How lovey she is! All she wants is to be with me all the time. She loves puffing up for head scritches. Also she's not nearly as destructive as I thought. She only likes soft things to tear up-- softwoods and cardboard boxes. She prefers things that won't move while she's being a destruction machine. Also how her smell changes depending on what food she's eating. I had a GCC before, and while he always had a lovely smell, it wasn't nearly as strong or CHANGEABLE in the best way possible!

Exploring new places. She loves being on leash and exploring the world with me.

Favorite thing is everything. I love that she will step up for anyone (as long as I'm the one putting her on someone). I love how she smells. Least favorite is how horny she always is! Year-round! I blame it on her upbringing, but that might be anecdotal. I'm constantly worrying that she's going to pop out an egg at any moment (which she has done with her previous owner.)

Another thing of note is that people on this forum tend toward being extra-super-cautious/vigilant about ALWAYS being there for their bird. We try to mimic their natural environment of being in a flock ALL the time. I love it, and they need it, but it doesn't mean they aren't adaptable. You just have to work extra hard to make sure they have a ton of enrichment when you're away. It's not impossible, but it is challenging. You can do it!

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
ONE MORE SURPRISING THING! Moe is extremely quiet. She is so content to just hang out on her perch and play. She screams when the vacuum is going, and occasionally when she meets a new person she isn't terribly fond of, but I was so surprised. When it's time to scream, it's LOUD. Otherwise, my GCC was so much more chatty! Holy cow!