• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BFA has an itchy butt, anyone ever heard of this before?

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
It's been a while since I've posted on here. Kiwi has overall been in good health, happy and all that good stuff. Got an all clear from the vet in November at his last well-bird exam, in fact she said he was healthier than most amazons she saw his age. In the past few months though I started noticing him preening his butt region more than the rest of himself. At first I thought I was being crazy/paranoid as my husband hadn't noticed anything wrong and thought I was being a hypochondriac. But as time has gone on, I have become more and more convinced he is definitely preening his butt much more frequently than anywhere else. In the past 2 or so weeks, the preening has become frantic and the feathers in the region have become frayed and blackened at the ends from the excessive preening (this is nowhere else on his body, the rest of him is in perfect feather). Last night I saw his leg twitch a bit before he started frantically preening his butt, which for me was the last straw. He has an appointment to see the vet (he sees a CAV) next week, but I'm just concerned at this point as I can see he's clearly experiencing some kind of discomfort (my interpretation of his behavior is that of intense itchiness). More looking to know what to prepare myself for when he sees the vet next week, as I have every confidence she'll be able to figure out what is wrong. I just need some kind of idea if I need to brace myself for something bad.

Kiwi is about 20, eats a mostly fresh foods diet, healthy weight of 420 grams, very active, gets several baths a week, never been sick in the 9+ years we've had him except when very newly adopted (came home with a URI which was promptly treated with antibiotics). I have noticed absolutely no other "symptoms" of illness, such as sleeping more than normal, being less active, eating less, abnormal poops etc... He seems totally fine except his itchy butt. He does come out and about quite a bit with me, but this started when it was still far too cold out for him to go outside and he had been indoors all winter with no exposure to the outside world for several months (I think his last outing before I first noticed a suspected increase in preening in the butt region in Feb/Mar was his vet appointment in November). Anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Ideas?

Here is his vent. It seems perhaps there are some little feathers growing where they shouldn't be and perhaps that is where the itchiness is stemming from? I see no lumps or redness or anything (though I've never looked all that closely at a birds butt to know what normal looks like per se). Please note the ratty blackened feathers are no where else on his body but in his butt region, presumably from excessive preening/itching down there:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Macawnutz @Hankmacaw

Tagging two folks that I'd personally ask for help.

I missed hearing from you, Kiwi is a fave of mine.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My thoughts: could be an allergy, though that's just one spot. Some times polyfolliculitis can occur near the vent, but I can't see the telltale feather shafts.

Is Kiwi DNA tested as a male?

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
My thoughts: could be an allergy, though that's just one spot. Some times polyfolliculitis can occur near the vent, but I can't see the telltale feather shafts.

Is Kiwi DNA tested as a male?
I just googled polyfolliculosis in parrots and I don't see any double feather shafts either. Maybe something similar though as I just can't foresee this being infection or disease related. Kiwi does have a known... not sure what to call it (condition maybe?) where he has some small blue feathers growing on his cere where feathers really shouldn't grow. Maybe some feathers have grown on the other end where they shouldn't have too?

We haven't had him DNA tested, but were told when we adopted him he was DNA male and he certainly has male mating behaviors/male aggressiveness! At 20-ish years old, he's long past puberty and his annual "spring hormonal thing" was over a few months ago and it wasn't out of the norm this year, so very seriously doubting anything hormonal.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It could also be a fungal or skin infection as well. Rupert randomly got a staph infection on his feet recently and there were no visible wounds. I'm not sure how he got it!

I was just curious about the DNA, since my little stinker fooled me for years. Then one day, out popped an egg! Surprise! :faint:

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
It could also be a fungal or skin infection as well. Rupert randomly got a staph infection on his feet recently and there were no visible wounds. I'm not sure how he got it!

I was just curious about the DNA, since my little stinker fooled me for years. Then one day, out popped an egg! Surprise! :faint:
I'm hoping it's not some sort of infection. I'd feel terrible having let it go this long.

Interesting you brought up the staff infection. I'm trying not to freak myself out too much, but one of the google articles I found when I looked up itchy butts in parrots was of a CAG who ended up having a MRSA infection as the cause of his. Kiwi's just always been so healthy under our care, I feel sad if he got sick:(

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Things happen. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's hard to see (especially certain things like that) when you're around the animal all the time; it just blurs together. Either way, I'd get the skin tested and maybe test the feathers as well in that area and see if anything conclusive turns up.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Things happen. Don't beat yourself up about it. It's hard to see (especially certain things like that) when you're around the animal all the time; it just blurs together. Either way, I'd get the skin tested and maybe test the feathers as well in that area and see if anything conclusive turns up.
Maybe just ask her to run one of everything to make sure nothing is missed:depressed:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could be a few things but if he is injuring himself it needs to be checked.

:sadhug2:

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Could be a few things but if he is injuring himself it needs to be checked.

:sadhug2:
*THANKFULLY* he isn't injuring himself over it, but it's clearly become very uncomfortable for him. I did book him an appointment with his vet for next week. They didn't seem to feel it was an emergency and nor do I, but definitely something to address.

Going to spray his bottom with some aloe and colloidal silver. Also got him some avian probiotics. Hopefully if it's a bacterial/fungal issue, that'll help sooth it and give his body a head start at fighting it while he's waiting to see the vet.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Sprayed his bottom with the soothing spray and he found that most offensive. Managed to sneak a couple good sprays down there so hopefully that helps soothe it a bit and if there is some kind of infectious nasties, the silver should give a good start killing it off.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'd be careful of the colloidal silver, there's a lot of info saying that it's not as safe to use, as people at one time thought.

I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I'd be careful of the colloidal silver, there's a lot of info saying that it's not as safe to use, as people at one time thought.

I hope your boy is feeling better soon.
I just added a few drops to the topical spray for his butt:). I can't imagine any minuscule amount he'd ingest via that route to be harmful. I wouldn't add it to his water or otherwise administer larger amounts orally though, as I'm not 100% certain how he'd react to a lot of it.

In regards to human consumption, I've been given/taken it for mild infections and as a topical antiseptic all my life to no ill effect. My mom used to drop it in my ear for ear infections or spray it on my throat for mild sore throats and it cleared them right up. Can't think of a time I've ever had an infected wound in my life using it as an antiseptic. To my understanding, the toxicity and issues with it stem from bad DIY production methods and/or taking it as a daily supplement where it builds up in your system, not with occasional use of store bought, high quality colloidal suspensions used occasionally to treat or prevent infection. Though I do agree it's probably best not to administer in any great quantity orally to birds without a vet's approval, which I'm not doing anyways.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
It's going to be a warm sunny weekend and the creature is going to be eager to get out of the house with us. So long as he just has an itchy butt and no other symptoms of illness, is there any reason he shouldn't venture outdoors? I feel bad cooping him up inside when it's nice out. At minimum, put him on the patio in his little cage out there?