• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beware the Eel

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@TikiMyn Henkie is a little bruiser!! :wideyed: Snerky was 51 when I got her. :)

Oh my, Feanor was such a lightweight! He obviously needed your TLC if he was able to gain that much! My tiniest bird is Termite at around 43-44 grams. He’s quite petite.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah he had gained so much weight, he was only 8 months when he came here so Maybe Some of his weight gain can be described to naturel growth but I am not sure! Termite mus be soo small! I love iT when they are all teeny Tiny, i could barely feel Fëanor when he wad sitting kn my arm in the beginning:rolleyes:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@TikiMyn Termite and Neutrino (my sweet hen) are the same petite size, but she has a few grams on him, lol. It’s so hard to give a size reference via photos - and my hands are really small, so a picture in my hand might make him look as if he’s a “normal” size.

Aww, Feanor sounds so precious. :) I love when they put a bit of weight on and fill out!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Harley's new mate, Belle, is 37 gms. She is so very petite. However, she has started ruling the budgies, especially when they enter her cage and then are bold enough to look into her nest box! Belle had a knock down, drag out fight with Luna Budgie yesterday and they were literally rolling around on the floor of the cage. I got in there and broke it up and of course got bit by both birds; just bruises. Belle is six months old and just starting to become the bossy lovie hen.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Oh Laurel Feather Cat! Delphine is very sweet with the budgies. She follows them around and expects them to feed her. She's adopted them as her parents. She was weaned by her parents really late as they were kept together the parents and chicks until the chicks were fully grown. Delphine was being fed by her parents until she was six months old. She still wants to be fed like a baby. The parrotlets would have nothing to do with it and would attack her. The budgies Sola and Tito have taken to her but not the parrotlets. They are okay as long as she doesn't go on their territory (this means anywhere they are currently at and any perceived threats too).

Sola the female budgie, Carmen our parrotlet have both had knock out drag down fights when she was first introduced after the 30 day hold. They would talk to each other through the windows but once she got in it was a struggle. I had to watch every day and supervise and they don't sleep together. The budgies have their flight cage, the parrotlets have theirs, our lovebird has a sleep cage and we have large sleep cage for Chaba. Everyone is out of their cages all day if they want and available to them to go into if they want. The birds have a room to themselves but Chaba is 10 days away from the strict separation we have in our home.

None of the budgies or parrotlets bite me. Not even Chaba has bitten me yet. But Delphine? I believe she enjoys it. I really do. It cracks me up and find it funny but I hope she isn't scared all the time and wonder why what I'm doing to make her so angry? I'll have to figure that one out but I'm too involved with Chaba who hasn't even left my side. He's currently on top of my head breaking apart my barrettes. I can't get enough of this little guy.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Snerky is just the best! I love how you can always tell when a little hen is out for blood - I never knew birds could raise their 'hackles' until Gem became a little too possessive of her sleep cage ;) you can definitely see the devil eyes then.

And Gem is a tubby at 59 grams - probably since she's kind of lazy and makes Panda feed her all the time.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I'm cracking up at everyone. Lovebirds aren't always loving that's for sure!!! Delphine's body language is blow her chest out to me and yell at me. I believe she is saying "Get Out!" or "Where is my mommy?!" I will try to upload a video. It's so funny. She's literally challenging me. I have to turn my back and be polite to her. So I'm always bowing and turning my back to her. She's royalty in our home.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm cracking up at everyone. Lovebirds aren't always loving that's for sure!!! Delphine's body language is blow her chest out to me and yell at me. I believe she is saying "Get Out!" or "Where is my mommy?!" I will try to upload a video. It's so funny. She's literally challenging me. I have to turn my back and be polite to her. So I'm always bowing and turning my back to her. She's royalty in our home.
She has done a most excellent job in training you! :coffeescreen:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Snerky is just the best! I love how you can always tell when a little hen is out for blood - I never knew birds could raise their 'hackles' until Gem became a little too possessive of her sleep cage ;) you can definitely see the devil eyes then.

And Gem is a tubby at 59 grams - probably since she's kind of lazy and makes Panda feed her all the time.
Snerky thinks so, too! ;) I think she’s adorable no matter what, with hackles raised or while making demon frog noises (a level 1 indication of displeasure). It’s especially cute when she comes running over to my side of the cage when I’m talking to Neut. She’ll bang toys and call and just generally be like, “Look at me!!” This is all in a matter of 10 seconds, mind you, even though I’ve already greeted her! She’s a jealous girl.

My girlfriend has started to be able to see when Snerky is out for blood! She can now recognize the dead-eye mako stare of death, plus the somewhat challenging/aggressive “surge” motion (quick upward motion of Snerky’s body). Hackles up means that she intends total annihilation of the target!