• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BEWARE OF Bird World LLC

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
THEY WILL SELL YOUR BIRDS!!! Kenukrut "Kenu" Turk and Denise Alford Turk are the owners/operators of Bird World LLC in Sanderson, FL. They search out birds for free throughout the state of Florida. They, by their on admission, have "about 250 birds" which they have amassed in less than 4 years. These birds are neglected on a massive scale. They say they do not sell any, but they are currently selling babies, young, adult, and breeding pairs of parrotlets on Birdsnow.com. Go to Bird World LLC Facebook and look through their photos, they speak for themselves. When they receive a parrot, they do a "glamour shot" on a branch in front of a vinyl background and it's not pictured again!! Where are the other 250 parrots? What are their conditions? Why don't you ever show the conditions of all the other birds? And why are you currently selling parrots on birds now?

Kenu and Denise Turk use the work "aviculture", but they are just breeding, as evident by the fact they keep the birds in pairs with breeding boxes. If you bred ok, but don't LIE to people that are giving you their birds. They don't love these birds.

SCAM ALERT!!! Bird World LLC - pets

I saw this on craigslist and I had to share. Please do not sell or rehome your birds to these people.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for posting that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting this information.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I looked them up on FB and there's no information about services provided, who runs it, what birds they have, bonded/licensed, zilch.

No vet or adopters' references either.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I have seen them posting so many times on Craigslist and other websites telling people that they take birds in for free and that will not breed, resell, or give them away to anyone. It's awful that people are getting lied to and these birds are getting used just for these people's selfish wants and profits.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have seen them posting so many times on Craigslist and other websites telling people that they take birds in for free and that will not breed, resell, or give them away to anyone. It's awful that people are getting lied to and these birds are getting used just for these people's selfish wants and profits.

You can report them to the BBB in Jacksonville, FL but they might ask you for proof. You can also flag them on FB and CL.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see those "avian rescue offering a forever home for your free bird" ads on Kijiji all the time, and they're all so bizarre and shady. I don't understand how anyone could trust them, but I feel so bad for the birds who are handed off to them by people who don't know any better.
I can only imagine the deplorable treatment they're forced to endure before being shipped out to the highest bidder. Ugh.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You can report them to the BBB in Jacksonville, FL but they might ask you for proof. You can also flag them on FB and CL.
May I suggest that you first offer them a parrot and at the same time want some information from them. Like pics of bird room, and cages e.t.c
Offer them a parrot that they really want like a Hy.
If they accepts that at least you have proof that they are taking "your" bird.

It's awful that people are getting lied to and these birds are getting used just for these people's selfish wants and profits.
Yes it is! But when you are leaving your parrot to a new home you also have some kind of responsibility.
I can not understand how they can fool people like that.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
May I suggest that you first offer them a parrot and at the same time want some information from them. Like pics of bird room, and cages e.t.c
Offer them a parrot that they really want like a Hy.
If they accepts that at least you have proof that they are taking "your" bird.
I would even ask to go to the "rescue" itself to inspect it. See how fast the excuses roll in.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I have never thought of that. I will reach out to them this week and see what they say.

I just cannot imagine someone taking care of over 250 birds and giving them the proper diet, care, toys, foraging activities, and love. How is that even possible?

It makes me sick to my stomach honestly. And the ones who suffer are the poor birds. :c

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would even ask to go to the "rescue" itself to inspect it. See how fast the excuses roll in.
Or better.
Say that you want to leave your parrot outside their home, and when they open the door, ask if you can see all the 250+ other parrots. :D
Of course you video record all this..

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I went fishing on FB and these are the questions I asked and the reply I got.

Me: Why is there no information about your corporation or what you do?

Bird World: What information are you looking for
Me: Ownership, general information, vet references, etc.What services do you provide, are you bonded and insured? References from clients?
9:52pm

Bird World LLC: My wife and I own our company. I am a Flooring contractor by trade and bird lover. We are a permanent home for birds that their previous owners did not want resold by these so called rehoming rescues. We have quiet a few birds of our own and quite a few surrendered birds also. We are NOT a corporation. We are NOT a non profit. We are a LLC. We are not a non profit organization because we make a promise to the owners that surrendered their birds to us NOT to sell them. In a non profit organization you can be voted out and ALL the birds can be sold by the board and the non profit dissolved. We met with a lawyer before we started talking in birds and was advised of this and the fact that 80% of ALL non profit organization are taken over within the first 5 years and the original former of the non profit is gone. We would not be very responsible for allowing this to happen and our word would be broken to the original owner of the bird. We have a long term plan in place to care for these birds as well as our own birds. We are going to build a bird park in NE Florida and open it to the public. We will be insured and bonded when we open to the public. Right now our zoning does not allow for public access so we don't need to be insured and bonded. We are on 6 acres and will be moving to a much larger property where we can allow for public access. We are going through planning and zoning to get a special exception to allow public access. The civil engineer said it could take several months to get the special exception so we are working on it. We are a private company and are retaining our privacy due to cyber stalkers that are stalking us and making outrageous claims against us with no truth to them. We currently have the birds at our home and for security reasons are not allowing anyone here. When we open the park we will have hired security and these stalkers will not be able to potentially harm our family. Someone is here 24-7 to care for and look after the birds. We do not publish publicly the names of people who surrender their birds to us. Many have asked they remain anonymous and we respect that. I have been in birds for over 25 years and know many of the old breeders in FL and GA. We were breeders who got out of commercial breeding after seeing the cycle birds go through being sold again and again until they die and we wanted to make a difference. We still breed a few birds but not many as this is not our main focus. We have delt with almost every situation a bird can go through over the years. Michelle Curtis was our vet for years until she retired and she taught is a lot. We bought many birds over the years with all sorts of problems and took them to her. We currently have birds with one leg, blind birds, birds with neurological disorders, broken feet, pluckers, screamers and more. It's just part of it. Many of the bird will never be pets again that are hand birds but they still like to be talked to and every day we interact with them as much a possible. I hope this answers your questions and if you would like to talk I am available most anytime and I am glad to meet a fellow bird lover. My # is 904-625-2242. We have not formally announced the park as of yet but the people who surrender their birds know and understand it doesn't happen over night. This is a huge undertaking and something we have been planning for years. Thank you very much for your inquiry and have a wonderful day.
Type a message...

I'm not about to go on any type of attack or vendetta against this place but personally, there are too many mistakes in the written English, and there is absolutely nothing on their FB page about them or the services they provide. The lack of information is raising more flags for me than anything else. Most FB rescue pages I've visited are, shall I say, just a tad more transparent and public. My :2cents: only.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have never thought of that. I will reach out to them this week and see what they say.

I just cannot imagine someone taking care of over 250 birds and giving them the proper diet, care, toys, foraging activities, and love. How is that even possible?

It makes me sick to my stomach honestly. And the ones who suffer are the poor birds. :c
I'd be very careful if I were you. Something like this could come back to bite you if it's found out that you have no bird you are going to surrender.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Things like this make me sick!! :extremeanger:
Thanks for sharing. These things need to be brought in the light. So incredibly sad for those birds:sad4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
And this is the difference between an LLC and a Corporation:

Corporations
A corporation is a business entity that legally exists separately from its owner(s). The owners of a corporation are shareholders; their percentage of ownership in the business is represented by their corporate stocks or shares. Shareholders can choose a board of directors to manage business operations, or they can create a shareholders' agreement, which will allow them to manage the business directly.

Corporations are more complex than unincorporated businesses. You will need to file the taxes for the corporation separately from your personal taxes. In most states, you will not be held personally responsible for corporate debts.

Limited Liability Company
A limited liability company is neither a partnership nor a corporation, but it has some characteristics of both. The owners are able to participate in business decisions, as in a partnership, but an LLC offers some protection of the individual assets of its owners. The flexibility of the LLC has made it a popular choice among business owners.

To form a limited liability company, you will need to file a certificate of formation with the Secretary of State office in your state. The form will require you to choose whether your company will be managed by its members or by a manager. Most states will let you complete this form online through the website of the Secretary of State.

If I'm going on a fishing expedition I have to check out all the fishing spots ...

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Sounds like a World Parrot Refuge in the making. Even if they have good intentions - which is doubtful at this point - it's simply impossible for anything short of a fully-staffed organization to care for that many birds. There's no doubt in my mind that birds are being neglected, if everything is as they claim it.

Also, I hate that people get LLCs to try to make themselves seem more official or responsible. LLCs are not hard to get, and they basically absolve the individuals of any financial responsibilities associated with the company. It has nothing to do with a lack of boards or votes or vetoing or any of the BS they're spouting. It's completely possible to have an organization - for-profit or not - that can be everything that they want it to be. The fact of the matter is that they probably don't want to hire any lawyers or have any other individuals coming into the "company" or property and blowing a whistle.

What a shame.

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I remember seeing a few posts on craigslist with people complaining about them & with some pictures of cages outside with birds with absolutely nothing except a food and water bowl.

I'm normally the type of person to take action when I see wrong doings happening but in this case, I am not really sure what would be a good option.

I'll send a complaint to the BBB and reach out to the people running this to get some more information about what exactly they are doing.

That also just reminded me please stay away from HSL Animal Pet Paradise Pet Store in Kissimmee Florida. They sell exotic animals. I recently went to a bird expo where I saw the conditions they were keeping their birds in. There were sick, injured, and unweaned still not fully feathered baby birds there with no heat source. I called the lady that does the advertising and complained about what I saw and she said she got complaints about them before lol but yet you still accept their money for renting a space? Okay make sense. There are also complaints about them having untreated sick birds mixed in with the health ones.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I have been in birds for over 25 years and know many of the old breeders in FL and GA. We were breeders who got out of commercial breeding after seeing the cycle birds go through being sold again and again until they die and we wanted to make a difference. We still breed a few birds but not many as this is not our main focus.
Also, LOL. :coffeescreen:

"We used to breed, but got out of commercial breeding because we saw how birds just kept getting rehomed. Now we have a rescue, but we still breed."

No respectable rescue should EVER contribute to the parrot population. What a farce!