• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Betta

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
So I went to the pet store, to buy things for my birds. While I was looking at the Parakeets (and debating about getting the white with faint yellow on it's head (I didn't.)) My sister is calling me, and she brings me this Betta. So I'm just like 'Yeah it's a Betta fish I already have one.' I look at it closer, and it's beautiful. I wanted to buy the fish then and there, but I had more running around to do.

So let's just say $15 later I'm the proud owner of a Halfmoon Double Tail Betta. His colors are beautiful. I hope you guys enjoy the picture. :D

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow, he is very stunning!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on him!

Matt

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
I haven't put him in the bowl yet. The lady told me to wait 24 hours (because she just changed the water and didn't want another water change to shock him.)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nice looking fish to come from a pet store. Hope he does well in your care.

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
Nice looking fish to come from a pet store. Hope he does well in your care.
Not sure how long Betta's live for, but I've gotten better at keeping them alive. (Keeping a lid on the tank helps a ton :()

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I almost got one from a fantastic breeder on EBay. Decided against it. At the last minute. Too much f o r me to keep the tank healthy. @waterfaller is the fish person on AA.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
They can live quite a while. I had one from the time I was in 4th grade until after I graduated highschool But I had him in a 55 gallon take with some gold fish with a few tetras he eventually died

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
I had him in a 2.5 gallon filtered tank, he got really sick :(

Verivus

Real Name
Chrissy
Congrats on getting a betta! They really should be in no smaller than a 5 gallon tank. You need a filter and a heater as betta need to be warm. 78F minimum water temp. Bettas do not like strong currents, so you could consider a sponge filter or baffled HOB (hang on back) filter.

If your tank is brand new, you will be doing a fish-in cycle otherwise the ammonia/nitrite levels could kill your fish. Google will show you what that means if you don't already know. This typically takes about a month unless you can get your hands on some seeded filter media from a friend or local fish store. I would highly recommend buying the API master test kit which runs about $22 USD to keep track of your water parameters. It is much better than test strips.

Good luck with your handsome boy!

IzzyBizzy

Real Name
Liz
Congrats on getting a betta! They really should be in no smaller than a 5 gallon tank. You need a filter and a heater as betta need to be warm. 78F minimum water temp. Bettas do not like strong currents, so you could consider a sponge filter or baffled HOB (hang on back) filter.

If your tank is brand new, you will be doing a fish-in cycle otherwise the ammonia/nitrite levels could kill your fish. Google will show you what that means if you don't already know. This typically takes about a month unless you can get your hands on some seeded filter media from a friend or local fish store. I would highly recommend buying the API master test kit which runs about $22 USD to keep track of your water parameters. It is much better than test strips.

Good luck with your handsome boy!

Sadly (as I said,) the one pictured has passed. Let's just say I'll stick with Petco and their Bettas. Petsmart's Betta fish don't seem to last long, and get sick easily.

The tank is pretty old, about 1-2 years old. It's Petco brand, and recommended for Betta fish. I had a plant blocking the water in take so Mr.Blue wouldn't get sucked in or stuck. I like this tank, because the filter is like a heater :) the water is at the 78F mark even in my cold room.

My sister gave me a bunch of things to put in the water (if I get a new Betta.) She said it's the reason her two haven't passed yet, and I also need to stay away from Petsmart fish :banghead:

Verivus

Real Name
Chrissy
Ah, I see. I thought you were talking about a different fish. My mistake.

Just FYI in case you get another fish, but if there isn't anything alive in the tank and you're not feeding the beneficial bacteria, then your tank is not properly cycled. Any beneficial bacteria that is there would die without a food source, which would be the ammonia supplied by fish waste.

Also, most tanks "recommended" for bettas are much too small for any fish. But as long as it is no smaller than 5 gallons you're fine. It's like how they recommend inappropriate, small cages for budgies. Bad, bad info. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide! Sorry for my unsolicited advice; I'm just a betta fan. :)